• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Well the movie spent two hours shitting on the main (female, which is relevant) character, so it was plenty violent for me.  The actual violence was the just the icing on the cake.

And hard pass at all the directors claims of "what it meant."

My view on it:

Lawrence is literally mother-nature/gaia, the house is our home planet, Bardem is God and the other characters are us humans that have indeed "shit on" her and the house she has tried to make nice for us, through all our wars, religion and pollution. It's the Horror movie that is human existence.  I think we are supposed to feel in a visceral way what the natural world would feel if it was a person and being treated in this monstrous way.

I might be wrong?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe.

Then again he's dating his way younger actress so....yeah.

EDIT:  Was dating.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paths of Glory
My second viewing, and it's every bit as excellent as I remember. Looks fantastic on blu-ray. 

Tarantula
Another 2nd watch. Last time I saw this I couldn't look at the screen when the spider was present - I fared slightly better this time, but MAN is it creepy. I don't care how good modern VFX can be, seeing a real spider made huge on screen is effective. 

Also, Clint Eastwood "stars" as the pilot that saves the day:

1118full-tarantula----------------------------------%281955%29-screenshot.jpg

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

I kept waiting for the strange, fucked up premise to come, this being a Yorgos Lanthimos movie, and it did not disappoint. Like his previous films, the premise was both otherworldly yet allowed for the exploration of some basic, human truths, ones which we would rather not confront. 

This time, it's the hierarchy within a family that is explored. In real life, children compete for their parents' attention, affection and love. Spouses worry about their place in the hierarchy now that there are kids. This movie makes that shit LITERAL, which is a thing I enjoy about Lanthimos' work. I thought the flat affect work by Colin Farrell was great yet again, and really played into his cowardly character. The moment when he FINALLY breaks down, accepts what is happening and more importantly accepts his accountability, was some beautiful acting. However, this time I thought that same flat affectation hurt the film when it comes to all the other characters. I did not enjoy Barry Keoghan or Nicole Kidman's performances much. I thought the Martin character could have been a lot more interesting. I understand the focus is on the family, but if that's the idea then don't have him kidnapped by them. I think the film lays bare some ugly human thoughts we have about our family, and that's commendable. But this was not nearly as engrossing a watch as the first half of the Lobster, and well below the Favourite. I wonder if I'd seen this film first if it would have gotten an extra half star, but because I just saw a brilliant Lanthimos film, the comparison hurts this one. Also, for the record the wife and I debated the end of this one and we both definitely would have shot Martin first, just to see if that would break the curse. He appeared to have some control over it, so that's what I would have done, if I'm being honest about child murder. I also thought the movie let Colin Farrell's character off the hook. He was able to kill one without choosing. I thought the better ending would have been to have the whole climax go down the same way. I love the irony of the family member that debased themselves the least being the one who got killed. But, if Martin's curse required Dr. Murphy to CHOOSE, then that wouldn't lift the curse. So because he did it in a cowardly way which avoids holding himself accountable, the curse continues. So after that, when they're at the diner, the last shot should be a drop of blood coming out of the daughter's eye.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Snowpiercer (2013)

- Chris Evans is great
- don't eat babies
- Bong Joon Ho is a hell of a visual storyteller, I need to see his other movies
- the film wears its themes/critiques loud and proud, for better or for worse
- just because you can see the ending coming an hour away does not make it break your heart any less (great execution)
- seriously please don't eat babies

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Galaxy Quest (1999)

I had somehow never seen this before, always meant to. Turns out that was my loss! Amazing performances throughout but Rickman and Shaloub really stand out for me. It manages to both laser-accurately skewer fandom and fan culture while never being mean about it, a fine balance. Great comedy, and a damn good Star Trek movie, too. I especially like how the "real fans" end up coming through in the end, great touch.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Logan (2017)

I watched the Logan Noir version for the first time and holy #$@% does this movie look gorgeous in black and white

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)

Absolutely bananas movie from act 1 until the end. It's interesting seeing the range of Mike Flanagan, even playing within the same genre. Hush has almost zero jump scares, the terror comes from the anticipation and the dread. In Haunting of Hill House, it comes from pathos and emotional trauma, also some creepy stuff. Then this is Flanagan's jump scare movie, and holy hell does he lean into it. This movie has bonkers jump scares throughout, and basically the whole third act is bananas shit happening very suddenly. Some find jump scares cheap, I want to be clear that I do not, not in concept. They can be done cheaply (which they are most of the time) or really well, (nice setup/payoff, using sound, etc, as evidenced by James Wan, for example). Here, there are so many that it runs the gamut. Overall, I found this movie to be really entertaining, especially for how off the rails it goes. But I wouldn't say it was scary or emotionally engaging. Solid effort, and considering it's a prequel to a horrible movie which was about freaking Ouija boards, it's amazing that it's anything better than a dumpster fire. The film being solid really feels like a home run.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

I kept waiting for the strange, fucked up premise to come, this being a Yorgos Lanthimos movie, and it did not disappoint. Like his previous films, the premise was both otherworldly yet allowed for the exploration of some basic, human truths, ones which we would rather not confront. 

This time, it's the hierarchy within a family that is explored. In real life, children compete for their parents' attention, affection and love. Spouses worry about their place in the hierarchy now that there are kids. This movie makes that shit LITERAL, which is a thing I enjoy about Lanthimos' work. I thought the flat affect work by Colin Farrell was great yet again, and really played into his cowardly character. The moment when he FINALLY breaks down, accepts what is happening and more importantly accepts his accountability, was some beautiful acting. However, this time I thought that same flat affectation hurt the film when it comes to all the other characters. I did not enjoy Barry Keoghan or Nicole Kidman's performances much. I thought the Martin character could have been a lot more interesting. I understand the focus is on the family, but if that's the idea then don't have him kidnapped by them. I think the film lays bare some ugly human thoughts we have about our family, and that's commendable. But this was not nearly as engrossing a watch as the first half of the Lobster, and well below the Favourite. I wonder if I'd seen this film first if it would have gotten an extra half star, but because I just saw a brilliant Lanthimos film, the comparison hurts this one. Also, for the record the wife and I debated the end of this one and we both definitely would have shot Martin first, just to see if that would break the curse. He appeared to have some control over it, so that's what I would have done, if I'm being honest about child murder. I also thought the movie let Colin Farrell's character off the hook. He was able to kill one without choosing. I thought the better ending would have been to have the whole climax go down the same way. I love the irony of the family member that debased themselves the least being the one who got killed. But, if Martin's curse required Dr. Murphy to CHOOSE, then that wouldn't lift the curse. So because he did it in a cowardly way which avoids holding himself accountable, the curse continues. So after that, when they're at the diner, the last shot should be a drop of blood coming out of the daughter's eye.

I kinda thought of it that he did choose, and that the one he killed isn't the one he chose.  It seemed to me that the boy was definitely his favorite and that he wanted to kill one of the others.  It's been about a year since i saw it, but if i remember right, he did narrowly miss the others with his first two shots and, either by sheer bad luck, dizziness, or maybe part of the curse, he killed the one he loved most.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
I kinda thought of it that he did choose, and that the one he killed isn't the one he chose.  It seemed to me that the boy was definitely his favorite and that he wanted to kill one of the others.  It's been about a year since i saw it, but if i remember right, he did narrowly miss the others with his first two shots and, either by sheer bad luck, dizziness, or maybe part of the curse, he killed the one he loved most.

Interesting reading. I want to be sure I'm getting your point. So you're saying that

On some level, he (consciously or subconsciously) chose, and that's why the first shot almost hit the daughter and second one almost hit the wife? I was reading it as random because of the blindfold but it is interesting where those misses were, now that you mention it.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Yes, that's what I meant.

I like your reading, I'm going with it. I think that deepens the ending for me. 

It means that he tried to make a choice but that the curse was always going to take his most precious family member, like it seems Martin did. Or perhaps he could have actively chosen any of them, but because he chose a cowardly way of doing/choosing (the blindfold), it kind of punished him for his cowardice. I really like that. That's sort of what I was getting at wanting with my own alternate ending. Good call!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aquaman (2018)

What a boring and predictable movie this would have been if it was not saved by a good sens of fun, self parody, and actors who can say ultra corny and cliché dialogue at least as good as Mark Hamill can. (I read Amber Heard was bad but liked her a lot).
I sure do NOT plan to rewatch it, because seeing it once already feels like rewatching 10 old movies mixed in one (Avatar, Superman, Tron Legacy, Clash of the Titans, Black Panther, John Carter... and many older ones), but I don't totaly feel like I wasted my time either, so there's that.
The special effects could have been better though... but there are so many that I can understand they took the stylish / none realistic approach, and all in all it fits the tone of the movie.

7/10 (a very thin line separates it from a 5/10 though...)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boy & the World (2015)

I'm really not sure how to put this one into words. It's abstract, yet tangible. It's magical, yet haunting. It's confusing, yet all too real. It's angering, yet peaceful. It's heartbreaking, yet hopeful. Rarely have I seen an analysis of the predicament of our world that is able to show it for what it is, and yet still leave some semblance of hope. This film is beautiful in capturing the journey and mystery of life. 9/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Long Day Closes (1992)
Terence Davies is once again in semi-autobiographical territory, a working-class kid growing up in 1950s Liverpool. Narrative, scenes and dialogue are mostly sidelined in favour of a mosaic of fleeting childhood recollections, evocations of time and place and conveying emotions. The visuals are soundtracked by many period musical pieces (some in full) and snatches of pertinent movie dialogue from things like 'The Magnificent Ambersons' and 'Kind Hearts and Coronets'.

Branded to Kill (1967)
Another stylish and eccentric 1960s Gangster film from Seijun Suzuki, again starring Joe Shishido as a Yakuza killer. The exciting shoot outs were expected but the focus on the killer's masochistic sex-life and his need to get aroused by the aroma of cooking rice was something different :D . The hi-contrast black and white lighting, iconic butterfly visuals and dramatic scope compositions are beautiful to look at.

Red Heat (1988)
What is almost a brilliant and gritty east-meets-west Action Thriller (with some interesting social commentary) feels hamstrung by the two leads and their dearth of chemistry. Schwarzenegger reins in his natural fun charisma to play a stoic Soviet Cop (basically a sentient block of wood) and James Belushi's constant motormouth improv wisecracks don't even pause when his character's best friend gets murdered. The Cinematography and the Direction from Walter Hill is first class.

(It took me 10-15-minutes to workout where I'd heard the score before, some of it was re-used in John Woo's 'The Killer' a year later.)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched the movie adaptation of The World According to Garp, it was not good. So many unnecessary additions and changes, important aspects removed or shortened, it really shouldn't have been made into a movie.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just watched the movie adaptation of The World According to Garp, it was not good. So many unnecessary additions and changes, important aspects removed or shortened, it really shouldn't have been made into a movie.

If you think that’s bad, stay far far away from Simon Birch, the awful A Prayer For Owen Meany adaptation.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE EQUALIZER 2 (2018)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyNJ3UrGk_I[/video]

Once again, like the first movie, other than using the character name, this bares zero resemblance to the classic tv show.  The main plot of spy assassins and revenge is utterly mundane and mind numbing boring.  But the toss away subplots of McCall helping random people he meets as an Uber driver or in his neighbourhood is fresh and interesting.  I would give the movie a 6.5/10.  
But I would totally fan edit this puppy into a 45 minute tv pilot by cutting all the spy crap, and rebrand it MISTER MCCALL'S NEIGHBOURHOOD.   :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Favourite. Very good. Definitely not as out there as other Yorgos Lathimos films, but not without his strange touches. It definitely had fantastic performances from the three central characters and all their nominations were well deserved. I laughed out loud often and absolutely loved the way it ended.

I only have one Best Picture nominee left to see (Vice). I’m pretty underwhelmed by the whole lot. A few, like The Favourite, I’ve enjoyed quite a bit, but haven’t really seemed like Best Picture material. I certainly would’ve voted for The Favourite over Green Book if I had a vote, though.

So far, I’d rank the BP nominees like this:

BlacKkKlansman
The Favourite
Roma
A Star Is Born
Green Book
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody 

But really I only really enjoyed the first three.

Top Bottom