• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
suspiciouscoffee said:
MV5BMThkMzFlNzYtNzM2ZS00ZTU4LTg4YzUtMDBhYzI1NDQ0MDZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc5OTMwOTQ@._V1_.jpg

There was a very early preview screening near me so I saw it two weeks early.  I have petty fanboy complaints, but mostly really liked it for its charm and idiosyncracy.

Never gonna watch it. Nice poster, though.

Yeah, shame it was just a comic con promo and not the real poster.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
MV5BMThkMzFlNzYtNzM2ZS00ZTU4LTg4YzUtMDBhYzI1NDQ0MDZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc5OTMwOTQ@._V1_.jpg

There was a very early preview screening near me so I saw it two weeks early.  I have petty fanboy complaints, but mostly really liked it for its charm and idiosyncracy.

In the trailers, the kid actor seems to act a little more grown-up than the adult actor playing the same character. Did you notice this in the actual film, and if so, did you find it problematic? Or did they handle the two sides of the character better in the movie than the trailer suggests? I'm still gonna see it, either way.

Feel free to put the answer in spoiler tags if needed. Or to not answer at all, I ain'tcher momma.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
suspiciouscoffee said:

In the trailers, the kid actor seems to act a little more grown-up than the adult actor playing the same character. Did you notice this in the actual film, and if so, did you find it problematic? Or did they handle the two sides of the character better in the movie than the trailer suggests? I'm still gonna see it, either way.

Feel free to put the answer in spoiler tags if needed. Or to not answer at all, I ain'tcher momma.

It didn't bother me.  I chalk it up to wish-fulfillment as he can do whatever he wants as the adult hero, where as his child self he's just a kid going to school/being in a new foster home/whatever.  He's the same kid, he's just having a lot more fun.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spelling color wrong is edgy, however.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dragged Across Concrete 

Zahler comes up trumps yet again, it's not an easy watch by any means there's a helluva lot of setup and character introductions  in the first half of its luxurious 160 minute runtime but it all paid off brilliantly in the last (very unpredictable) 45 minutes or so.  Zahler is 3 for 3 now for me and might just be my favourite director to come along this decade.  Loved it!

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Us (2019)

The opening of the movie was brilliantly done and genuinely frightened me but once the home invasion story element actually kicked in, the family never seemed to truly feel like they were in danger (too many jokes). Things did pick up again towards the end though.

Pretty entertaining overall but not as well crafted as Get Out.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night, I watched Blade Runner (final cut) with the director's commentary track. It was very interesting and insightful. He talked about the cheap filmmaking tactics, repurposing props and sets for other scenes, he criticized modern sci-fi films for being too magical, he pointed out shots where they used someone else to stand in for Harrison Ford, and he talked about alternate ideas that didn't make it into the film, among other topics. Really neat stuff. The first commentary track I've listened to.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Mother! (2017)

Just no.

"It's not for everyone" should have been the tagline/disclaimer/warning.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I set my expectations far too high for Mother!. My main problem though, was that there was a sense of social anxiety throughout it as the people did everything that she told them not to do, and it really made me uncomfortable. Yes, out of all the stuff that happened in the movie, that's what got to me.
I was also expecting it to be more violent and gross, but it wasn't enough for me.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well the movie spent two hours shitting on the main (female, which is relevant) character, so it was plenty violent for me.  The actual violence was the just the icing on the cake.

And hard pass at all the directors claims of "what it meant."

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
TVs Frink said:
Mother! (2017)

Just no.

"It's not for everyone" should have been the tagline/disclaimer/warning.

At the risk of hyperbole, there's a lot of shitty things that "aren't for everyone."

Top Bottom