• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Lego Movie 3 will be out by the time I see the first one, although thanks to my nephews I've seen the Lego-Ninjago movie 3 times :dodgy: .

Not a fan of the movie but the ultimate weapon scene was creative, at least. I did get a kick out of that.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just got out of the theater from watching Miss Marvel. i loved it! she was just so relatable to me in the spot i find myself in. like, really. when they emphasize how human she is and what makes her human... that really spoke to me. i really needed something like that movie right now. 

and once again the conflict going on inside a character is much more interesting than the one going on outside with those exhausting superhero movies action setpieces i can't even bear to watch anymore and all that. writing wasn't the best, dialogue a bit weak at times and the plot was very predictable but heck what could they do. all in all the film spoke to me on an emotional level that i wasn't expecting at all and that very few films have before, so i'm willing to forgive many of the movie's mistakes. i really really liked it, and would definitely recommend.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I don't love Kubrick.

Same  :D

I've liked the films of his I've seen, but I don't think I've loved any of them. There's no denying that his skills were masterful, but his style just doesn't seem to grab me. 

One of the standouts for me was Paths of Glory, but I don't really remember it too well. I was bought it on bluray recently, so I hope to watch it again soon. I also have a copy of Spartacus to stick on at somepoint.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Better Tomorrow (1989)
This Genre-defining "heroic bloodshed" Hong-Kong Action movie was great but it doesn't have quite the same stylistic flair as John Woo's later 'The Killer' and 'Hard Boiled' movies. It does deliver strong emotional scenes around his usual themes of brotherhood, sacrifice and honour. The gun battles are everything you could want and I liked the synth score.

(I watched this on a dodgy old PAL DVD transfer from 1999 with interlace issues, a blurry picture and letterboxed non-anamorphic widescreen but I still enjoyed myself. It must have been good!)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
I tried to like this film, but it just felt tired and never quiet sure of what it was. It was never clear who the story was about, or what the intention of the film was. The colors were atrocious and super distracting as were the cgi harbors. When you find yourself waiting for the scene found in the poster and then the credits role, you realize that it would have been better to revisit Peck or Stewart's Ahab than to have sat through this film....5/10
yeah this never happens in the film....or I just blinked and missed it....
1129_heartOfSea_siteHeader-1000x500_v02.png

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
MV5BMThkMzFlNzYtNzM2ZS00ZTU4LTg4YzUtMDBhYzI1NDQ0MDZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc5OTMwOTQ@._V1_.jpg

There was a very early preview screening near me so I saw it two weeks early.  I have petty fanboy complaints, but mostly really liked it for its charm and idiosyncracy.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Dirt (Motley Crue  biopic).
lets just say it covered the major points ok, but then it just became a very tame Netflix drama.
I wasnt impressed at all, and the soundtrack was what you'd expect a few new recorded songs that did not
live up to their legacy as a band (they even covered a Madonna song).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
lets just say it covered the major points ok, but then it just became a very tame Netflix drama.
I wasnt impressed at all, and the soundtrack was what you'd expect a few new recorded songs that did not

Does it celebrate the band as relatively harmless "bad boys", or accurately portray what horrible people they are? Violent, misogynist, racist, homophobic, wife-beating, rapists and murderers. If it's the former, then shame on Netflix for glamorizing them. I can never understand why people tolerate this group, or how they've all escaped major jail time.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
jswert123456 said:

Does it celebrate the band as relatively harmless "bad boys", or accurately portray what horrible people they are? Violent, misogynist, racist, homophobic, wife-beating, rapists and murderers. If it's the former, then shame on Netflix for glamorizing them. I can never understand why people tolerate this group, or how they've all escaped major jail time.
Yes its definitely the former, it's like a Bill and Ted movie with fruitier language and nudity

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
TM2YC said:
jswert123456 said:

Yes its definitely the former, it's like a Bill and Ted movie with fruitier language and nudity

What does "fruitier language" mean?  Like more cussing?  I've never heard that term before.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah in the UK fruity or colourful is a slang way of saying somethings explicit, fruity can be used to say something's sexed up too.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
MV5BMThkMzFlNzYtNzM2ZS00ZTU4LTg4YzUtMDBhYzI1NDQ0MDZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc5OTMwOTQ@._V1_.jpg

There was a very early preview screening near me so I saw it two weeks early.  I have petty fanboy complaints, but mostly really liked it for its charm and idiosyncracy.

Never gonna watch it. Nice poster, though.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the firs scene of Tommy backstage , i was thinking it was going to be good, but it just was a big letdown

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suspiria (2018).

Mixed feelings...
It's a good remake in the sens it's well done and expand the story but it has the biggest problem a horror movie can have: it's not scary (to me)... so you can mentaly acknowledge that it's a good movie all you want... if it's not scary, it is a failure to me.
The constant camera movements during more than 2 hours made me dizzy, and the overall thing is a bit too "artsy" for my taste. Funny thing is that the original is maybe one of the most artsy horror movie ever made but it was flamboyant artsy that I love. Here it's disgusting and borderline boring.
It's not a bad movie and I'm sure a lot of people love it, it's just not one I want to rewatch.

Top Bottom