• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure it's in Cruise's contract that any film he stars in he HAS to be shown running a marathon at some point.

665.gif

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure The Firm was the first time I noticed it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. So far it is the only Kubrick film I've seen in its entirety, and it has cleared away my distaste and rejection of his works. I've grown up with my father talking about how The Shining is overrated, and people I know criticizing 2001, along with my father's love for the Clockwork Orange novel, and just in general hearing things about Kubrick, that I've never had an interest in his works, billing him as a pretentious jerk or something like that. This film was pretty good though, and I wanna go out and watch his other stuff now. I really like his style, I'm realizing. Though after that ending, I wonder what happened in the final chapter of the book that was excluded from the film. 
Anyways, I'd appreciate if y'all would tell me which Kubrick films are the best, where to go from here.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of Tom Cruise....

AMERICAN MADE (2018)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEBIJRAkujM[/video]

Very enjoyable "based on a true story" pic, particularly since I was a news junkie in the 80s and the whole Contra scandal was bonkers good television, so this was great nostalgia.   The movie's tone and structure is very, very, very similar to Scorsesse's "Goodfellas".   The only distraction is Cruise's puffy botox face.  Otherwise, a fun watch.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Though after that ending, I wonder what happened in the final chapter of the book that was excluded from the film. 
Anyways, I'd appreciate if y'all would tell me which Kubrick films are the best, where to go from here.

Here's a rundown of the final chapter
, you can read the actual final chapter here. Basically, Alex is an adult now and has a new gang of droogs and he's still doing the same old thing, getting high at the Korova and beating up bums, but he runs into his old droog Pete and his wife and after chatting with him Alex realizes that he's not a young punk anymore, that "youth must go" and he's grown up now. He starts thinking about having a son and what his future as a father would be like.

My favorite Kubrick flicks are...

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. The Killing
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. 2001

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should that go in a spoiler tag...?

Anyways, thank you very much, Neg. I will try to see what I own or what I have available.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The book was written 57 years ago, there's no need for a spoiler tag.

Rosebud was a sled. The Third Man is alive. Soylent Green is people.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upon a revisit this year, Paths of Glory shot up and is probably my number 2 or 3 Kubrick. A Clockwork Orange has been my top one since I saw it 20 years ago. It's likely my most watched movie (probably 25 times over the years) and I get something new out of it each time I watch it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

Unlike, a lot of Directors, Kubrick's films are all so different, it's difficult to compare them. My personal favourites are probably:

1957 Paths of Glory
1975 Barry Lyndon

I don't rate 2001 highly but it's still worth a watch at least once. I'd heavily recommend the long cut of The Shining, over the short one. I'm really looking forward to seeing 'A Clockwork Orange' again when it's back in cinemas on April 5th.

Dz64tGUWkAAzci-.jpg

I really need to get round to watching my blu-rays of 'Lolita' and 'Fear and Desire' so I can say I've seen 'em all.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paths of Glory is number 6 for me. It used to rank higher than A Space Odyssey but last year I saw 2001 in the theaters while on acid so I bumped that up a notch.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
The book was written 57 years ago, there's no need for a spoiler tag.

I haven't read the book or seen the film and I know nothing about it. Luckily I didn't see your post :p

The book is on my shelf. It shall be read.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Paths of Glory is number 6 for me. It used to rank higher than A Space Odyssey but last year I saw 2001 in the theaters while on acid so I bumped that up a notch.

I can see how that would do it!

The best compliment I can give Kubrick is that there isn't "minor" Kubrick, not for me. Every film he's made is a piece of art worthy of a lot of thought over the years. Everybody has that one director who unlocked something deeper in movies and he is that for me. I learned more about films and what they can do by digging in to his movies when I was younger. That's when I realized not just the power of cinema but how actual, literal, mechanical choices add up to the storytelling whole. Some of his films are extremely challenging but I find them all rewarding to some degree, though in very different ways.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

Meanwhile, seeing A Clockwork Orange on acid dropped it in the rankings considerably.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Neglify said:

The best compliment I can give Kubrick is that there isn't "minor" Kubrick, not for me. Every film he's made is a piece of art worthy of a lot of thought over the years. Everybody has that one director who unlocked something deeper in movies and he is that for me. I learned more about films and what they can do by digging in to his movies when I was younger. That's when I realized not just the power of cinema but how actual, literal, mechanical choices add up to the storytelling whole. Some of his films are extremely challenging but I find them all rewarding to some degree, though in very different ways.

I wouldn't want to take away from Kubrick, for sure. His work is pretty consistently fascinating, engaging, and compelling. It's just always struck me as curious how consistently he's singled out like he operated on a plane of quality and brilliance unknown or unavailable to other filmmakers.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Neglify said:

I wouldn't want to take away from Kubrick, for sure. His work is pretty consistently fascinating, engaging, and compelling. It's just always struck me as curious how consistently he's singled out like he operated on a plane of quality and brilliance unknown or unavailable to other filmmakers.

My guess is that part of it is because he was great. And the other part is that he's so praised. Therefore, young budding cinephiles ALWAYS check out his stuff. Then they latch onto it because it's really good. That's true of a lot of my peers, anyway, myself included.

Also, it's extremely rare that a director gets to make strange, challenging films with complete creative control, something Kubrick enjoyed for decades. His movies were very successful financially so he had that freedom. He was both lauded and bankable, a rare combination. That allowed him the freedom to make whatever he wanted. The combination of skill and creative freedom is rare, and unprecedented to enjoy for decades starting very young.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
thecuddlyninja said:
 there isn't "minor" Kubrick, not for me. 

*cough* Killer's Kiss *cough*

Okay, that is probably the one I've watched and thought of the least but I still think it's very well-made and I get a lot out of it.

Top Bottom