• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What the heck are you talking about?!?!!?

ANIMAL HOUSE is freaking hilarious!!!!   :D :D :D

Double secret probation on all you!   :p

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Death Wish (2018)

I heard so many bad reviews about this movie that I found it quite all right.
A very paint by numbers film, without any real surprises, with an okay/average Bruce Willis (I've seen him worse),
but all in all it's not horrible. You want the bad guys to pay, and they do.

A little more dedication and it could have been a 7/10, but as it is I'd rate it a 6,5/10

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
King Kong (1976)

I've been feeling a little monster movie kick, so I figured I'd finally give this a look.

Wow, this movie was BAD.

-Jessica Lange was written to be a really dopey damsel-in-distress with a lot of cringe inducing dialogue.
-I honestly couldn't figure out if I liked Jeff Bridges' character or didn't care what happened to him
-Charles Grodin was super hammy as the "villain" but I didn't mind it too much
-King Kong molests Jessica Lange.....WTF?!

I'm glad I rented this because if I owned it I would bury it in the ground.....of Skull Island.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My father used to hate the 70s King Kong, but has recently revisited it and realized that it's actually great and should be viewed as a parody. 
That being said, I have no interest in it, the original King Kong is all I need (as far as remakes are concerned. I love King Kong vs Godzilla and Skull Island.)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
King Kong 76 is amazing, are you all on crack?
(side note: this is an hyperbola not meant to be rude)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
King Kong (1976)

I've been feeling a little monster movie kick, so I figured I'd finally give this a look.

Wow, this movie was BAD.

-Jessica Lange was written to be a really dopey damsel-in-distress with a lot of cringe inducing dialogue.
-I honestly couldn't figure out if I liked Jeff Bridges' character or didn't care what happened to him
-Charles Grodin was super hammy as the "villain" but I didn't mind it too much
-King Kong molests Jessica Lange.....WTF?!

If you think that is bad, then try watching the SEQUEL (yes, they made a sequel!!!), it makes Kong 76 look like an Oscar contender...

KING KONG LIVES (1986)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHZKgnaeEn0[/video]

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

I tend to agree....with the opinion that it's not that good.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

It was one of the first films I can ever remember seeing at the cinema along with Disney's Island at the Top of the World and Towering Inferno so it has a nostalgic place in my heart regardless of actual quality.  I haven't watched it in years though as I'm pretty certain it will sully my memories of it 

Green Book
Thoroughly enjoyed it, laughed and sighed (in a good way) all the way through. It's pretty  formulaic and more like an Oscar winning film from the 90''s than something you would expect to win nowadays, both lead performances win over any well worn tropes the film has though.  As far as Best Picture goes I haven't seen Roma yet but of all the other nominees GB would have gotten my vote.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
If you think that is bad, then try watching the SEQUEL (yes, they made a sequel!!!), it makes Kong 76 look like an Oscar contender...

KING KONG LIVES (1986)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHZKgnaeEn0[/video]

What? the sequel is amaz.... just kidding, I actualy saw it in theater when I was a kid and even then I thought it was a piece of crap.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Three Identical Strangers (2018)
A Documentary masterpiece that everyone should see, while knowing as little as possible about it beforehand. This story of how three identical twins were reunited goes to shocking places you will not expect and it may change the way you think about parenting, mental health and human society. An incredible exercise in structure and editing, hitting you with revelations and twists, one after the other, from start to finish, on an expertly paced journey from elation to reflection.

Here is the trailer but I suggest not watching past 1.10 to totally avoid spoilers:

Alien (1979)
A 40th Anniversary 4K cinema exhibition, the 2nd time I've seen it on the big screen (although the other occasion was the Director's Cut) and probably the 50th time overall. The detail of the Production Design elements look amazing on the big screen and the richness of the scary soundscapes are fully opened up on a big theater setup. This time I was really taking time to appreciate the subtlety of Ian Holm's icy re-acting.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Charlotte Gray (2001)
I went into this one blind and found it a tad adolescent in the beginning, decent in the middle, heart wrenching in the final act, but ultimately lacking as a portrayal of the times. This needed more character development, especially between characters. Another meet and get between the sheets and that's called love beginning that is meant to drive the story, but is forgotten until the end. The real power is the relationship she builds with the young boys and how her experience changes her. I think I'm just not a Cate Blanchett fan. 6.789/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree on Three Identical Strangers it really is a must see, wasn't it on UK TV this week? Another doc I saw recently 'Dear Zachary' moved me to tears, it's not as expertly made but the events that unfold made for a truly gripping experience and it's another one you will get more from going in blind.

Isn't It Romantic
I'm definitely enjoying rom-coms more and more lately, the decent ones at least (watched Harry met Sally twice in the last two weeks!).  This is actually a really fun one that pokes fun at the whole genre, while still conforming to all the usual tropes albeit tongue in cheek.  One of the better Netflix originals of late.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Three Identical Strangers (2018)
A Documentary masterpiece that everyone should see, while knowing as little as possible about it beforehand. T

I saw this in the theater while I had MoviePass, and went in knowing absolutely nothing about it. A real treat. I'm glad I went in blind.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched @"bionicbob" 's Saga of the Apes volume 1, I'm about to watch volume 2. I was playing Sudoku while watching it, so I may have missed some details, but I really enjoyed it. My sister especially enjoyed it though.
I'd never seen any of the old Planet of the Apes films, and she'd only seen the original. I've never been super interested in watching them on their own, so I had no problem skipping them and just watching the edit.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't It Romantic? (2019)

So really meta humor where characters enter genre movies are TSS's thing, eh? I can dig it. Though I enjoyed Final Girls quite a bit more, I think this is just as interesting and fun of a genre deconstruction. It's just a genre I like less than horror, though still appreciate. Rebel Wilson crackles and keeps everything moving even when the film doesn't quite work. I don't much care for Adam Devine but he's okay. Lil' Thor shows the whole goddamn family is handsome and hilarious, which hardly seems fair. I love that the film fully commits to its high concept, and really takes it to its logical conclusion. Lots of fun and laughs for anybody who likes romantic comedies, or just likes making fun of the tropes. A great message, though one that's only kind of earned and somewhat undercut by the ending. But NOT doing it that way would have been a bummer of a note to go out on, so I get it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Promise (2016)

Oscar Isaac is fantastic in his role as Michael. The story is tragic. My only dislike of this movie was the love triangle which wasn't needed. A memorial to those who lost their lives to genocide and those who survive still. 7.5/10

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coco (2017) made me cry like a b****. God bless you Pixar for your amazing storytelling.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Promise (2016)

Oscar Isaac is fantastic in his role as Michael. The story is tragic. My only dislike of this movie was the love triangle which wasn't needed. A memorial to those who lost their lives to genocide and those who survive still. 7.5/10

I keep meaning to see that.

Apparently the whole $90m budget was paid by one Armenian-American Billionaire who wanted the truth about the Genocide put on the screen. The Turkish government put out a rival film a month before with other Hollywood stars ('The Ottoman Lieutenant') which is supposed to be less than truthful, shall we say. I'd like to see both for comparison.

I don't understand why more rich people don't just fund movies they wanna see. I know I would! :)

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't understand why more rich people don't just fund movies they wanna see. 

Immediately thought of this great bloke:

6a014e5f6ab304970c017c368bc61c970b-800wi

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah! He paid (full, or in part) for some great movies in the 80s.

I always meant to fund part-2 of Ralph Bakshi's 'Lord of the Rings'. I wouldn't have cared if it made a penny, as long as I got to keep a copy. Bakshi is still alive and so are some of my relatives who could theoretically leave me a fortune (I didn't know they had). It could still happen! :D

Top Bottom