• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
i didnt watch bohemian rhapsody on account of it being directed by an actual monster

If it assuages that feeling any, the film was completed by the talented Director Dexter Fletcher (after the other guy got sh*t canned part way through filming) so the finished product is Fletcher's. Due to DGA rules only Singer is credited.

Fletcher's is doing the Elton John biopic next, which I hope is as much fun as his Queen film:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks
Sinbad said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Sinbad said:
 I'm completely in awe of his achievement.

I’ve climbed what is considered one of his earlier benchmarks: the Moonlight Buttress in Zion. Of course I did it as a two day aid climb. I can’t even fathom soloing that, let alone El Cap.  I thought the movie did a great job of presenting him as someone not with a Death wish or even a thrill seeker. I’m just curious if that message resonates with non-climbers.

If I'm honest I wondered whether he was on the autistic spectrum his attention to every minute detail (which was obviously required) seemed superhuman. I understood his motives and why his relationships had suffered in the past as a result. The result of his MRI were fascinating bit I didn't feel at all that he had a death wish it felt more like obsessive compulsion coupled with an autistic like disconnect with the worst case scenario.

Yeah I may have mentioned it earlier, but he just seems to have the perfect combination of brain chemistry, drive, talent, and temperament for something like this. He’s not a thrill seeker. He says if he’s got an adrenaline rush there’s something very wrong. I can’t say that about guys like Dean Potter or Dan Osman. Probably the closest to Honnold would be Peter Croft, who I was happy to see in the movie.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
ArtisDead said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Bohemian Rhapsody. 

Did not like. Spoilers for why. 

The rise of the band happens with little to no excitement. It just... happens. And all of the sudden the band is a family and we never see what bonds them. They’re just this huge band and everyone loves each other. There’s just not much character development. And the most annoying part of the movie is the 4th Wall breaking moment where Mike Myers’ character says kids in cars will never bang their heads to Bohemian Rhapsody. Terrible.  Where the story should offer context and provide insight and depth to an enigmatic figure, it feels like a TV movie paint-by-numbers intended to offend no one and merely satisfy everyone. This becomes especially problematic when it deals with issues larger than just Mercury or the band. The character moments between Freddie and Mary are the best parts of the movie. Unfortunately they are few and far between.

Where to start with this? I agree with most of what you stated in your spoiler review. However, I think that you may have missed the point. I will start by confessing that I believe that Queen was one of the four greatest rock bands of all time. I also believe that Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman and vocalist of all time. No one even comes close. He also was a genius composer.

The movie was really about their monumental comeback performance at Live Aid. An aging rock legend who knew that he was dying, who had been the subject of much media backlash (much of it because he was outed and reputed to have AIDS), who put everything he was into his one last hurrah...

The rest was hastily done backstory to get you to the final twenty magnificent minutes. Albeit, with much cheese. And in some places it was too much to handle. I personally thought that the huge teeth were a little over the top. Freddie had deformed teeth...it was what made him distinctive along with that one-of-a-kind voice but those chompers...made him look like a horse.

I was a teenager when Live Aid took place. I remember that it was a huge event. I remember that there were a lot of big names performing. Queen is the only band that I remember performing. And perform they did. They WERE Live Aid. Don't take my word for it...ask Bob Geldof.

Nonetheless, there will never be another like him. May we all bow and say goodbye to another once in a lifetime legend who felt life far too intensely to live it and whose candle burned so bright that it inevitable burned out far too quick.

No, I got it. Obviously some like it and my opinion is worth no more or less than those that do. But had I known I was going to be watching a two hour Hallmark Channel movie leadingnup to a recreation of Live Aid, I would’ve saved myself some time and just watched the actual concert footage. 

As a Queen superfan you must also be aware of the altered timelines and how loose with the truth they were to make that concert more dramatically impactful. A few liberties are fine, IMO, but they went too far here. 

For example:

Live Aid was in 1985. He was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987.

https://www.thewrap.com/bohemian-rh...-tell-queen-he-had-aids-just-before-live-aid/

There’s a good movie to be made from Freddie Mercury’s life. For me, this was not it.

I knew about most of that. Certainly the timeline on his illness, as well as the solo project and comeback inaccuracies.

And for the most part...I agreed with your original post and everything in your second post.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988)
1988 fantastical quest movie from Vincent Ward, the New Zealand Director who is probably most famous as the guy who wrote the cancelled "wooden Monastery space station' script for 'Alien 3'. Peasants fearing the plague, tunnel through the Earth's core from 14th Century North of England, to 1980s New Zealand. Ward really manages to capture how a modern city would seem terrifying, unfathomable and supernatural to these arcane travelers.

Fyre (2018)
Music festival disaster Documentary Directed by the same guy who did the excellent 'Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond'. It's like "Schadenfreude: The Movie", watching vain, social-media obsessed people with more money than sense get scammed. You still feel sorry for the people who were clearly working hard in good faith on the project.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Fyre a few weeks ago.  Hilarious.

My favorite part was how

the guy is out on bail and decides to run another scam company to pass the time, and gets arrested again.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My favorite part was

during the post-mortem meeting when one of the employees says “this was fraud.” And Ja Rule, on speakerphone, says, “nah it wasn’t  fraud; more like false advertising.” Lol. Someone get Ja Rule a thesaurus!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A History of Violence

Had a fairly hazy memory of this from the last time I saw it around release but totally forgot how good Viggo M is in it. It's rare I want a film to go on for another half hour or so but I did with this one. It's aged very well...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bad Times at the El Royale. I enjoyed it and would recommend if you’re a fan of movies like True Romance or Pulp Fiction. While it never rises to the heights of those films, there is a lot of fun in the way new elements of the story come together in the semi-nonlinear story. The first half, in particular, is a lot of fun and there’s some great dialogue and solid performances. I was less impressed with the second half. For me, once all the main players are together it kind of went off the rails. I’d also say it’s about 20 minutes too long.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Yeah that's a pretty spot on analysis, one of my main gripes is that

The fact the hotel is situated in two states never comes into play, I thought a duristictional law would come into play at some point but it never happened which made it seem a pointless plot point.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Bad Times at the El Royale. I enjoyed it and would recommend if you’re a fan of movies like True Romance or Pulp Fiction. While it never rises to the heights of those films, there is a lot of fun in the way new elements of the story come together in the semi-nonlinear story. The first half, in particular, is a lot of fun and there’s some great dialogue and solid performances. I was less impressed with the second half. For me, once all the main players are together it kind of went off the rails. I’d also say it’s about 20 minutes too long.

I completely agree with everything that you stated but still enjoyed watching it. 
I never got the whole straddling the two state lines angle. It seems that they would have played that up.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What Women Want

I forgot how ridiculously funny this movie is. It would have made an excellent sitcom.

Helen Hunt's classic line kills me every time I watch it.
"...I just looked at his penis...I just looked at it again..."

Or the French poodle

"Monsiuer, I have to poop!"

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
^Yeah that's a pretty spot on analysis, one of my main gripes is that

The fact the hotel is situated in two states never comes into play, I thought a duristictional law would come into play at some point but it never happened which made it seem a pointless plot point.

ArtisDead said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I completely agree with everything that you stated but still enjoyed watching it. 
I never got the whole straddling the two state lines angle. It seems that they would have played that up.

Yeah I did watch the making of special feature. The whole story started with the idea of that setting.

The entire production design was centered around it. They talk about it also playing out thematically in that the California side was hopeful and bright and warm; where the Nevada side was sinister and cold and darker. I never really felt that while watching. When I saw the comment on the way the two states were supposed to be portrayed I thought, I wonder how the Nevada Chamber of Commerce feels about that. Lol.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
May we all bow ....

200.gif

Saw live aid...I just don't get the whole Queen thing. Please take any further Queen love to a specific movie thread to help maintain the purpose of this particular thread. Thanks!

And back to reviews :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks
DigModiFicaTion said:
ArtisDead said:
May we all bow ....

200.gif

Saw live aid...I just don't get the whole Queen thing. Please take any further Queen love to a specific movie thread to help maintain the purpose of this particular thread. Thanks!

And back to reviews :)

He's a  Queen Killer
Gunpowder, gelatin
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Top Bottom