• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
last movie i watched was Green Book- very good film
tonight im going to see the 35th anniversary of Nightmare on elm Street
since i was far too young for my parents to take me, plus they wouldve never watched that.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Widows (2018)

I expected a sharp, interestingly directed movie delving into social issues in a serious way. And I got that, it's a Steve McQueen movie, after all. But holy shit, I didn't realize how fun it is to take that and wrap it into a schlocky Gillian Flynn pulp-fest. I didn't feel the length of this at all. McQueen and Flynn do a wonderful job with the pacing. The script never stops moving forward but spends enough time on all the characters. It balances character, zippy lines, action scenes and social commentary perfectly, for me. Viola Davis is the GOAT, Cynthia Erivo stole the show for the second time in as many months, Daniel Kuluuya can be way more menacing than I thought possible and just put Brian Tyree Henry in everything. Is there anything he can't do? The cast is so good, and right when you're marveling at it, Carrie Coon and Robert Duvall pop up in small roles. It's a bounty of riches.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yknow
When I read your post, I assumed this was something like that Orson Welles movie that just got released on Netflix, where it got released years after the person's death.
But I looked it up, and nope. Apparently there is a director named Steve McQueen, completely unrelated to the actor. Now I'm a bit more interested.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Yknow
When I read your post, I assumed this was something like that Orson Welles movie that just got released on Netflix, where it got released years after the person's death.
But I looked it up, and nope. Apparently there is a director named Steve McQueen, completely unrelated to the actor. Now I'm a bit more interested.

It's confusing but if he keeps winning so many awards and making such damn fine films, the actor might eventually become "the other Steve McQueen" :D .

I'm looking forward to finally seeing 'Widows' this week on blu-ray because my cr*ppy local cinema didn't screen it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It doesn't help that I didn't recognize any of the other people mentioned in the post, so I just assumed they were also old timey actors.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of this Steve McQueen, but if he's an award winner then clearly I probably should've. I'll look into him and his works more.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just recently saw Widows as well. I’m a big fan of Shame, 12 Years a Slave, and especially Hunger. I also love a good heist story. So I my expectations were pretty high. I wish I could say they were met, but I didn’t absolutely love it. I liked it though. And I would absolutely recommend it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bohemian Rhapsody. 

Did not like. Spoilers for why. 

The rise of the band happens with little to no excitement. It just... happens. And all of the sudden the band is a family and we never see what bonds them. They’re just this huge band and everyone loves each other. There’s just not much character development. And the most annoying part of the movie is the 4th Wall breaking moment where Mike Myers’ character says kids in cars will never bang their heads to Bohemian Rhapsody. Terrible.  Where the story should offer context and provide insight and depth to an enigmatic figure, it feels like a TV movie paint-by-numbers intended to offend no one and merely satisfy everyone. This becomes especially problematic when it deals with issues larger than just Mercury or the band. The character moments between Freddie and Mary are the best parts of the movie. Unfortunately they are few and far between.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
last movie i watched was Green Book- very good film

Completely agree! One of my top movies of last year. Loved it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Bohemian Rhapsody. 

The rise of the band happens with little to no excitement. It just... happens. And all of the sudden the band is a family and we never see what bonds them. They’re just this huge band and everyone loves each other. There’s just not much character development. And the most annoying part of the movie is the 4th Wall breaking moment where Mike Myers’ character says kids in cars will never bang their heads to Bohemian Rhapsody. Terrible.  Where the story should offer context and provide insight and depth to an enigmatic figure, it feels like a TV movie paint-by-numbers intended to offend no one and merely satisfy everyone. This becomes especially problematic when it deals with issues larger than just Mercury or the band. The character moments between Freddie and Mary are the best parts of the movie. Unfortunately they are few and far between.

Where to start with this? I agree with most of what you stated in your spoiler review. However, I think that you may have missed the point. I will start by confessing that I believe that Queen was one of the four greatest rock bands of all time. I also believe that Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman and vocalist of all time. No one even comes close. He also was a genius composer.

The movie was really about their monumental comeback performance at Live Aid. An aging rock legend who knew that he was dying, who had been the subject of much media backlash (much of it because he was outed and reputed to have AIDS), who put everything he was into his one last hurrah...

The rest was hastily done backstory to get you to the final twenty magnificent minutes. Albeit, with much cheese. And in some places it was too much to handle. I personally thought that the huge teeth were a little over the top. Freddie had deformed teeth...it was what made him distinctive along with that one-of-a-kind voice but those chompers...made him look like a horse.

I was a teenager when Live Aid took place. I remember that it was a huge event. I remember that there were a lot of big names performing. Queen is the only band that I remember performing. And perform they did. They WERE Live Aid. Don't take my word for it...ask Bob Geldof.

Nonetheless, there will never be another like him. May we all bow and say goodbye to another once in a lifetime legend who felt life far too intensely to live it and whose candle burned so bright that it inevitable burned out far too quick.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with what @"ArtisDead" said. In fact that was the reason why I really liked the movie. In the end it’s a classic story about not giving up against all odds. It’s a personal story about fame. I though it was quite great.

I don’t know the details about the life of Freddie Mercury or the band, I just really loved their music. Admittedly, it’s a very flawed movie of course, but I think the positives very much outweigh the negatives. Is worthy of a Best Picture nomination? Hell no. Does it deserve all the negative reception from the critics? IMHO, also no.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Certainly not a best picture nod but possibly a best actor nod. And...

F#$k the critics! The movie had heart! 

Now...get ready for it...

The Dirt

The "if Queen can do it and make a zillion bucks reviving their legacy...we can too! Complete with juvenile lyrics, mediocre music and tons of...yes you guessed it...CHEESE!"

The not so great story of a zillion cans of hair spray, bottles of black hair dye, alpha drag queens that was a not so great band with not so great songs featuring not so great music from...the Not so great Mötley Crüe complete with tons of a umlauts for the grammar hungry.

The only thing redeeming about this not so musical heap is Frank-ere-Nikki Sixx band SixxAM. Just saying. And yes Guns-n-Roses out crued the crue.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018)

This is the best Spider-Man movie ever made. A comic book translated to film in a way I've never seen before, bursting with creativity. As someone who grew up mainly reading Spidey comics, this just nailed everything I loved about them. Emotional moments are powerful and completely earned. The moment where Miles takes a leap is my favorite superhero moment. Not only are the shots awesome, what it represents is beautiful. Any of us can take the leap, especially a scared teenager with a big heart.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Bohemian Rhapsody. 

Where to start with this? I agree with most of what you stated in your spoiler review. However, I think that you may have missed the point. I will start by confessing that I believe that Queen was one of the four greatest rock bands of all time. I also believe that Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman and vocalist of all time. No one even comes close. He also was a genius composer.

The movie was really about their monumental comeback performance at Live Aid. An aging rock legend who knew that he was dying, who had been the subject of much media backlash (much of it because he was outed and reputed to have AIDS), who put everything he was into his one last hurrah...

The rest was hastily done backstory to get you to the final twenty magnificent minutes. Albeit, with much cheese. And in some places it was too much to handle. I personally thought that the huge teeth were a little over the top. Freddie had deformed teeth...it was what made him distinctive along with that one-of-a-kind voice but those chompers...made him look like a horse.

I was a teenager when Live Aid took place. I remember that it was a huge event. I remember that there were a lot of big names performing. Queen is the only band that I remember performing. And perform they did. They WERE Live Aid. Don't take my word for it...ask Bob Geldof.

Nonetheless, there will never be another like him. May we all bow and say goodbye to another once in a lifetime legend who felt life far too intensely to live it and whose candle burned so bright that it inevitable burned out far too quick.

No, I got it. Obviously some like it and my opinion is worth no more or less than those that do. But had I known I was going to be watching a two hour Hallmark Channel movie leadingnup to a recreation of Live Aid, I would’ve saved myself some time and just watched the actual concert footage. 

As a Queen superfan you must also be aware of the altered timelines and how loose with the truth they were to make that concert more dramatically impactful. A few liberties are fine, IMO, but they went too far here. 

For example:

Live Aid was in 1985. He was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987.

https://www.thewrap.com/bohemian-rh...-tell-queen-he-had-aids-just-before-live-aid/

There’s a good movie to be made from Freddie Mercury’s life. For me, this was not it.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Free Solo

Finally got  the chance to see this after it not appearing at any cinemas near home. Every bit as good as I hoped, it spends a good hour getting into the the psyche of Alex Honnold and his meticulous planning before the main event, but when it comes even knowing the outcome I was still on the edge of my seat. A great companion piece to Man on Wire.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i didnt watch bohemian rhapsody on account of it being directed by an actual monster

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Free Solo

Finally got  the chance to see this after it not appearing at any cinemas near home. Every bit as good as I hoped, it spends a good hour getting into the the psyche of Alex Honnold and his meticulous planning before the main event, but when it comes even knowing the outcome I was still on the edge of my seat. A great companion piece to Man on Wire.

Yes, I recently saw it in IMAX. I loved it as well. I can’t remember if I posted my thoughts here or not. But yes, I was a ball of anxiety for about an hour after watching of course knowing the outcome going in.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Sinbad said:
Free Solo

Yes, I recently saw it in IMAX. I loved it as well. I can’t remember if I posted my thoughts here or not. But yes, I was a ball of anxiety for about an hour after watching of course knowing the outcome going in.
I think you did yes and recommended The Dawn Wall too, I will check that out and also 'Meru' too by the makers of ''Free Solo'.  I'm completely in awe of his achievement.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
 I'm completely in awe of his achievement.

I’ve climbed what is considered one of his earlier benchmarks: the Moonlight Buttress in Zion. Of course I did it as a two day aid climb. I can’t even fathom soloing that, let alone El Cap.  I thought the movie did a great job of presenting him as someone not with a Death wish or even a thrill seeker. I’m just curious if that message resonates with non-climbers.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
i didnt watch bohemian rhapsody on account of it being directed by an actual monster

Initially I chose not to see it because I wasn't interested, I heard about certain inaccuracies and it kinda turned me off. Then upon reading something on Twitter, I realized who directed it, and decided that I'm DEFINITELY not gonna watch it. 

Now, I'm able to go back and watch the first two X-Men movies and put myself in the mindset of before I found out about everything, that's one thing, but I can't bring myself to watch something that he's directed after the fact (or after I learned at least). It probably doesn't make complete sense, my logic, but I'm sticking by it. 

By this point, I've gone too far, and this probably isn't a topic to talk about here. My apologies. 
I'll change the topic. 
Saturday night, I watched Blade Runner again, this time opting for the Final Cut. I still prefer ADigitalMan'extended edition though. I mainly put this on to have something familiar in the background that I wouldn't have to pay full attention to while I was drawing. I was saddened though, to find that in the past couple weeks I've been misquoting a certain line.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Sinbad said:
 I'm completely in awe of his achievement.

I’ve climbed what is considered one of his earlier benchmarks: the Moonlight Buttress in Zion. Of course I did it as a two day aid climb. I can’t even fathom soloing that, let alone El Cap.  I thought the movie did a great job of presenting him as someone not with a Death wish or even a thrill seeker. I’m just curious if that message resonates with non-climbers.

If I'm honest I wondered whether he was on the autistic spectrum his attention to every minute detail (which was obviously required) seemed superhuman. I understood his motives and why his relationships had suffered in the past as a result. The result of his MRI were fascinating bit I didn't feel at all that he had a death wish it felt more like obsessive compulsion coupled with an autistic like disconnect with the worst case scenario.

Top Bottom