• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Two of my favorite horror films of all time are remakes (The Thing and the Fly) but to each their own. I agree that most remakes in those genres suck.

I absolutely agree. I have seen both versions of The Thing and believe that Carpenter's version is better and is an almost masterpiece of tension building horror. I think there was another remake that wasn't as good. I have seen no other version of The Fly but have a difficult time imagining a better version than Cronenberg's masterpiece with Jeff Goldblum in his landmark role as Brundlefly.

thecuddlyninja said:
I don't think I fully understand your definition of remake, but I guess it's an amorphous concept. Like, is Ghostbusters? The Fast and the Furious? A Star is Born? I get what you're saying about True Grit because it's based on the book, though those two films have much, much more in common than the two Suspiria films. Arguably, the two Suspirias complement each other thematically better, but that's a matter of opinion. 

Absolutely agree. The True Grit movies are tandem movies from the same source and not really the latter drawing from the former. Equally good. The same would apply to A Star is Born. It wasn't really my cup of tea but I can appreciate its merits. And Lady (or Sir) Gaga can actually act.

thecuddlyninja said:
Regardless, I do categorically disagree with your absolute statement about no good remakes in the last 20 years but I philosophically understand where you're coming from and mostly agree.

I completely agree with that statement, as well. It is too absolute. Movies appear to have gotten better because of technology. The sixties and seventies and part of the eighties were the best years for excellent movies with few exceptions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BlacKkKlansman (2018)
The political and social examination takes center stage, so the characters are underdeveloped as a consequence. Topher Grace as David Duke is so calmly creepy and he has the voice spot on. The ending (and a lot of elements) felt needlessly contrived to "sex up" a real life story that was interesting enough already.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Conquest of Jurassic World
a fanedit by JobWillins

We watched this edit three times and then watched the two movies that it is edited from twice.

It is quite amazing! Nothing that mattered was taken out. Only fluff.

The story arc moved much faster and the editing was seemless.

We even matched up scenes from the edit to the originals to see how much was removed and check the scenes.

The flashbacks worked great. Especially in the end when Blue's loyalty and protective instinct came into play.

An awesome edit of two movies made into one the way that it should be done.

9.5/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Blade Runner 2049, it was far better than anything I imagined, I loved it, now time to watch all the fan edits.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Velvet Buzzsaw.

While I was watching it I kept thinking 'I wonder if Dan Gilroy has seen ''Theatre of blood'. I'm guessing he probably hasn't as apart from one stand out scene and a great Gyllenhaal performance this was pretty disappointing.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Velvet Buzzsaw.

While I was watching it I kept thinking 'I wonder if Dan Gilroy has seen ''Theatre of blood'. I'm guessing he probably hasn't as apart from one stand out scene and a great Gyllenhaal performance this was pretty disappointing.

On the plus side
every one of the unlikable douchebag characters dies

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aquaman

Much better the second time around all by myself in my home.

Finally, after all of these years since The Dark Knight Rises...

A movie that DC can be truly proud of. Definitely as good or better than any MCU or DCU movie in the last two years.

8/10

Bumblebee

Kind of like the backstory and the special effects were cool. As good as all but one of The Transformers movies. Still kind of just okay. Not bad and not great.

6/10

And finally...

Robin Hood

Its a good thing the other two were excellent or decent because this over the top gore fest was a mess. Just violence and blood.

Not what I was expecting from a Robin Hood movie. Not really horrible but not really good either.

4.5/10

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Bumblebee

As good as all but one of The Transformers movies

I assume that one you refer to is the 1986 animated movie, because if not and you're putting any of the Bay movies over it, you're Objectively Wrong.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Willow (1988)
Fantastic fantasy with sprinkles of humor to lighten the mood along the way. Awesome characters and spectacular visuals and design. Kilmer kills it and Warwick wins the day. Without a doubt my favorite fantasy film of all time. 10/10

Interesting that two of my favorite movies ever (ESB and Willow) are both George Lucas stories that he produced but allowed others to direct.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Willow (1988)
Fantastic fantasy with sprinkles of humor to lighten the mood along the way. Awesome characters and spectacular visuals and design. Kilmer kills it and Warwick wins the day. Without a doubt my favorite fantasy film of all time. 10/10

Interesting that two of my favorite movies ever (ESB and Willow) are both George Lucas stories that he produced but allowed others to direct.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever read the sequel trilogy?  Based on outlines by Lucas, and written by legendary X-Men scribe Chris Claremont.  I have them on my shelf but have never cracked them open....  lol

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Just out of curiousity, have you ever read the sequel trilogy?  Based on outlines by Lucas, and written by legendary X-Men scribe Chris Claremont.  I have them on my shelf but have never cracked them open....  lol

I've glanced at them, but never read them I heard a certain main character is a real pill in them so I never ventured past the cover....I'll be honest, I'm not much of a book reader.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough.  I was given them as a X-mas presents eons ago, but the reviews were so mixed and a friend told me many of the beloved movie characters bite the dust in the first novel.  

But I agree with you, it is a wonderful movie.  I introduced my daughter to it a couple of years ago, and she fell in love with it.  It definitley holds up pretty well.  :)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last movie I watched...was Con Air. I watched it with my grandmother after having bought it for her birthday. 
I swear I was told it was a corny action movie beforehand, but there's more to it then that. I thoroughly enjoyed it, aside from a few minor aspects. I really felt for Nicolas Cage's character. I really like Nicolas Cage now, between this and Mandy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 51st Best British film ever made...

Tom Jones (1963)
Given the recent death of star Albert Finney, it seemed like the right time to move this 'Best Picture' winner to the front of my watch queue. If you already loved Stanley Kubrick's 'Barry Lyndon' but wouldn't mind if it was much sexier, rambunctious and funny then you'll love 'Tom Jones'. Director Tony Richardson brings a spirit of anarchic 1960s attitude to the usually safe Costume-Drama Genre with freeze frames, silent film sections and cheeky breaking of the 4th wall.

David Bowie: Finding Fame aka The First Five Years (2019)
The third part in Francis Whately’s series of Bowie BBC Documentaries (after 'Five Years' and 'The Last Five Years'), this time focusing on the years Bowie spent struggling to find "his voice" and his USP to mostly public indifference. The subject is a blessing and a curse, it's full of info about a little explored period but it's also lacking in visual material to fill 90-minutes. The film does a great job of plotting how all the different unsuccessful early experiments all lead to what he would become.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blade II (2002)
One of the Guillermo del Toro films I'd yet to see but sadly there isn't much of his trademark visual imagination on display. There is nothing worse than a film that thinks it's the cutting edge of cool but is actually a bit juvenile and embarrassing. The first half is very boring due to zero characterization but after the mid-point where the protagonists suffer a defeat, you get invested and I enjoyed the gross-out body Horror FX somewhat.

Abducted in Plain Sight aka Forever 'B' (2017)
This 2017 Documentary is getting a lot of buzz this week (because Netflix added it to their library) of the "I swear to God, you will not believe your f**king eyes and ears!" variety. In 1974 a naive Mormon family somehow allowed a manipulative paedophile neighbour to abduct their daughter... multiple times! It's a tough and dramatic watch as you are torn between feeling sympathy for the horrific trauma the family went through and shouting "what the hell were you thinking!?!" at the TV. This could never be made into a dramatic film because I don't think the reality could ever be made believable.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Haunting because of the far reaching and unimaginable consequences of very bad decisions.

Weird because of all of the damn rats. I will never look at rats the same way.

As much I despise them...it may be time for some pussycats in my home. Better them than rats.

Thomas Jane was excellent.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Weird because of all of the damn rats. I will never look at rats the same way.

Deadly Eyes had that effect on me. Must've been all the dachshunds in rat costumes.

Top Bottom