• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
TVs Frink said:
A Quiet Place spoiler, I guess.

The fact that they even got anywhere near having a baby, and then the movie didn't bother to explain why they had a baby (Accident? On purpose?) made me rather angry.

Unfortunately the reasoning behind this requires a watch of the supplemental material where Krasinski, Blunt, Woods and Beck reveal the character motivations.

That's ridiculous.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Raw (2016)

This movie has such precise control over the audience, as the water slowly starts to boil. A gruesome coming of age story, very well done.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Raw (2016)

A gruesome coming of age story, very well done.

That's the understatement of the year. Excellent movie.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suspiria (2018)

I was initially dead set against seeing this film, assuming it was going to be another cynical Hollywood cash-grab devoid of any artistry. However, once I read more about its production, my curiosity was piqued. I decided to relax my strict anti-remake stance this one time and check it out.

It's the absolutely only remake made in the past twenty years that is good.

8/10

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I decided to relax my strict anti-remake stance this one time and check it out.

If you don't see them, how would you know?

Off the top of my head, there have been a lot of good remakes in the last 20 years: Ocean's 11, Freaky Friday, 3:10 to Yuma, Insomnia, Departed and one of my favorite films of the time period, True Grit. Remakes are definitely dicey propositions and often disappointing but there's way too much good stuff for me to ever write off the whole concept.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:

Off the top of my head, there have been a lot of good remakes in the last 20 years: Ocean's 11, Freaky Friday, 3:10 to Yuma, Insomnia, Departed and one of my favorite films of the time period, True Grit. Remakes are definitely dicey positions and often disappointing but there's way too much good stuff for me to ever write off the whole concept.

Ocean's Eleven
 and Freaky Friday aren't the types of movies which would interest me to begin with; Insomnia's a Nolan film and I dislike Nolan; and both versions of True Grit are based on the same novel, so I'd hesitate to call the new film a remake of the old.

But anyway, pretty much every remake I'm talking about has been in the horror or sci-fi genres, and every one I've seen has been bad without exception.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Edge of the World (1937)
Michael Powell's first major independent production is the story of the final days of a remote Scottish island as crops dwindle and the younger generation yearn to leave. Humanity versus nature at the limits of civilization, with documentary realism due to a long isolated location shoot. Dad's Army's John Laurie plays one of the stern elders of the island, a taciturn man of deep feeling.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:

Off the top of my head, there have been a lot of good remakes in the last 20 years: Ocean's 11, Freaky Friday, 3:10 to Yuma, Insomnia, Departed and one of my favorite films of the time period, True Grit. Remakes are definitely dicey positions and often disappointing but there's way too much good stuff for me to ever write off the whole concept.

Ocean's Eleven
 and Freaky Friday aren't the types of movies which would interest me to begin with; Insomnia's a Nolan film and I dislike Nolan; and both versions of True Grit are based on the same novel, so I'd hesitate to call the new film a remake of the old.

But anyway, pretty much every remake I'm talking about has been in the horror or sci-fi genres, and every one I've seen has been bad without exception.

Didn't care for most of those movies but True Grit was good in both cases. I didn't realize that The Departed was a remake. I did think that the remake was an excellent movie. Not a top ten or even twenty but excellent. 3:10 to Yuma was an excellent old west gangster movie. Crowe is very believable.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gangs of New York

I never tire of this movie. Daniel Day Lewis may be the greatest actor of the last thirty years and this is a jewel in his crown.

He is so believeable in this role. You despise him, revile him and in a way respect him. Liam Neeson and that other guy...Leonardo were good but Day Lewis owns the movie from beginning to end.

A true modern masterpiece. Should have made my top ten.

9/10 As a general review

There Will Be Blood

My friend and I decided to watch a Daniel Day Lewis double feature.

It seems that Daniel Day Lewis is such a good actor that he owns every movie that he stars in. 

He is utterly disposable in this movie but truly genius. I spent the entire movie trying to decifer the relationship between him and the boy. Once the boy is grown everything makes sense. I related to the movie in a very personal way. 

Another modern masterpiece.

9/10 A general review

Makes you hope that he wasn't serious when he said that Phantom Thread was his last movie. He didn't leave us too many movies.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:

I see you've met Duracell.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:

Ocean's Eleven

Two of my favorite horror films of all time are remakes (The Thing and the Fly) but to each their own. I agree that most remakes in those genres suck.

I don't think I fully understand your definition of remake, but I guess it's an amorphous concept. Like, is Ghostbusters? The Fast and the Furious? A Star is Born? I get what you're saying about True Grit because it's based on the book, though those two films have much, much more in common than the two Suspiria films. Arguably, the two Suspirias complement each other thematically better, but that's a matter of opinion. 

Regardless, I do categorically disagree with your absolute statement about no good remakes in the last 20 years but I philosophically understand where you're coming from and mostly agree.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clearly you haven't seen the Dawn of the Dead remake. 
In all seriousness, I know people dislike that despite my personal feelings.
But what about Peter Jackson's King Kong? I haven't seen it in its entirety, but don't people regard it goodly? Of course it's probably not better than the original, but this is just good remakes from the past 20 years, not superior ones, right?
Yeah, I can't think of any other recent remakes that are good at the moment, that haven't already been mentioned.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought Jackson’s King Kong was borderline bad. It can be a little dicey on where to draw the line on what constitutes a remake. Is 12 Monkeys a remake of La Jetee? How about the (original) Magnificent Seven? Obviously both of those were more than 20 years ago. But I did enjoy True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma, Departed, and Ocean’s 11. I haven’t seen the most recent A Star is Born yet.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I thought Jackson’s King Kong was borderline bad.

Delete the "borderline" and I agree.  I was sooooooo bored.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh I get it you mean "bad" in the street sense ;) . Peter Jackson's King Kong is awesome but it is rather long.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to watch it sometime. King Kong, the original, is one of my favorite movies that I always forget to count as such. Then King Kong vs Godzilla is ridiculous and I love it. Then most recently, Skull Island, it's possibly the only movie theater experience where I smiled from beginning to end with no breaks. I loved it so so much. I should revisit that as well. 
But yeah, I need to check out Jackson's Kong. I love Peter Jackson, J love King Kong, and I typically enjoy long movies.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Duragizer said:

Ocean's Eleven

Two of my favorite horror films of all time are remakes (The Thing and the Fly) but to each their own. I agree that most remakes in those genres suck.

To be clear, it's only remakes made since 1998 I have a general contempt towards (Gus Van Sant's Psycho onward). I'm more generous towards remakes made before that year.

I don't think I fully understand your definition of remake, but I guess it's an amorphous concept. Like, is Ghostbusters? The Fast and the Furious? A Star is Born? I get what you're saying about True Grit because it's based on the book, though those two films have much, much more in common than the two Suspiria films. Arguably, the two Suspirias complement each other thematically better, but that's a matter of opinion.

I guess I define a remake as a movie which is basically a copy of an earlier film which differs from the original only superficially. Radical divergences in plot/character/tone/etc. enter into reboot/reimagining territory for me.

I suppose by my own reckoning, Suspiria '18 isn't a remake after all.  :huh:

Regardless, I do categorically disagree with your absolute statement about no good remakes in the last 20 years but I philosophically understand where you're coming from and mostly agree.

I tend to be the hyperbolic sort. It's a flaw of mine I've always had trouble with.

Top Bottom