• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
^ I'll have to give the sequels a look, I was always put off by the fact Raimi wasn't involved

I still need to watch the sequels as well. But apparently there are also four sequel novels unrelated to the sequel films, and that fascinates me, and I'm far more interested in those than the sequel films.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey there @"Sinbad" and @"jrWHAG42" 

Don't get too excited for the Darkman sequels.... 

...they are FINE  :p

They were produced by Raimi, and were direct to dvd sequels, but they lack the kinetic energy and creative madness of the original.  The plots are fairly bland and recycled.  I have often wondered if the better elements of the two sequels could be fan edited into one decent movie?

If the original Darkman is now too over the top for you, I recommend @"musiced921" fan edit, which tones down some of the now dated elements for a more noir experience. 

Also, there was a Darkman tv pilot (which is awful) that can be found on Youtube or Vimeo.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glass (2019)

This was a weird movie. There's a lot that doesn't work (final twist, the actual way the plot resolves, multiple stretches in the middle) but there's more that does work for me (all the performances, the score, the "fuck you audience" subversions, the completely sincere audacity of the third act). Overall an interesting conclusion to the trilogy and worth seeing, in my opinion.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solo

Despite some flaws,  I really enjoyed it. First time I've seen it since the one time in theaters.   Lots of fun and i think the portrayal of Han works surprisingly well.  Not without problems and dumb moments,  but I really enjoyed the ride. 

I give it an 8/10.  My actual level of enjoyment was probably more like 9/10 but objectively I feel it's actual quality is more like an 8.

It's really too bad this flopped, I'd love to see a sequel to see how the while red dawn deal plays out,  but I doubt we will.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the
Darth Maul cameo
was spoiled for me beforehand, but when I saw the red scarring on Paul Bettany's face, and how it seemed to shift, I thought that
he was Maul, and that eventually his face would melt off or get ripped off like a Mission: Impossible mask to reveal it.

It'd have been corny as hell, but I would have loved it, honestly.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Royal Hunt of the Sun (1969)
I don't know what I just watched. I need to do some research to know if this was cultural ignorance in the portrayal of the Inca society or an analysis of God and religion told through a play set in this period. This feels lie a dark Shakespeare of sorts. Plummer's portrayal of Atahuallpa is unsettling and begs for verification. I'm not really sure how I would rate this one without further information. For as grandiose as it presents itself, this is a relatively small scale movie.

If you're intrigued catch it on prime here

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Way Back (2010)
A tribute to the men who escaped the Siberian gulag. Harrowing, haunting and redemptive. An inspiring triumph of the human spirit. 8/10

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux 

Fanedit by spicediver.

Wow! All of the positive things that I have heard about this were all true.

What can I say that hasn't been said?

David Lynch would be proud.

9/10 As a general movie rating
10/10 With my personal preference bias

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

This wasn't a very good movie the first time I watched it, it isn't a very good movie upon revisitation, but at least Peter and his supporting cast (mostly) resemble their comic book counterparts, which automatically makes it a better Spider-Man film than Homecoming.

6/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Blade Runner for the first time without any distractions or multitasking. I opted to watch @"ADigitalMan" 's extended edition edit, because I couldn't decide which version to watch, and was really curious about the narration that I was always told was horrible, but in the description seemed good.
I loved every bit of it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Northwest Passage: Twin Peaks Edit by Q2

AMAZING! I know its an older edit but wow! Genius! It boggles my mind to try to comprehend the work that went into this.

10/10 As a general movie rating.
15/10 Adjusted for personal preference bias.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just watched Blade Runner for the first time without any distractions or multitasking. I opted to watch @"ADigitalMan" 's extended edition edit, ..  

Wait, you haven't watch the copy that sits on your shelf?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I just watched Blade Runner for the first time without any distractions or multitasking. I opted to watch @"ADigitalMan" 's extended edition edit, ..  

Wait, you haven't watch the copy that sits on your shelf?

I have the set with all the versions, and from that I've watched the final cut twice already, but things came up, I know the second time I put more focus into talking to a friend while we watched, I forget what happened the first time. But now I wanted to watch the film seriously, and I read up further on which version was the best, and found that there are arguments on that, pros and cons for each version, so I decided to just watch this edit instead. Me deciding to watch this version actually happened a couple months ago, but the day I was going to watch it I got busy, so I've just been putting it off until today.

Anyways, yes I've watched the copy on my shelf, but I didn't today.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roma (2018)

A beautiful film, a portal to a world in the past I never knew. I found myself emotionally distant from the story for most of it, though. I don't know if it's because I'm so unfamiliar with the world (I don't think so) or because Cuaron shot this in such a distanced way (likely). There's a lot to love about the movie, and I did get emotionally moved by the last act, but I couldn't connect enough for me to see this as the masterpiece many do. Absolutely worth seeing, the cinematography and sound design are so good IMO, and seeing a slice of life of a world I've never known was great.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Game of Thrones: A Tale of Kings and Honor

Amazing! A work of genius. I can't begin to fathom the work that went into creating this. It never missed a beat. Certainly a work of art. I am blown away.

I am very anxiously awaiting the next installment.

10/10 A general review
15/10 A biased review based on personal preference.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Roma (2018)

A beautiful film, a portal to a world in the past I never knew. I found myself emotionally distant from the story for most of it, though. I don't know if it's because I'm so unfamiliar with the world (I don't think so) or because Cuaron shot this in such a distanced way (likely). There's a lot to love about the movie, and I did get emotionally moved by the last act, but I couldn't connect enough for me to see this as the masterpiece many do. Absolutely worth seeing, the cinematography and sound design are so good IMO, and seeing a slice of life of a world I've never known was great.

Knowing the background of this being semi-autobiographical, I felt Cuaron was playing with the ideas of memories. Specifically, the memories of a 10 year old boy. So the detachment from the issues of the nanny/maid—or even seismic socio -political events—would be reflective of that distant memory of a 10 year old boy. I’m not sure it entirely worked for me or if I’m even right. About Cuaron’s intent, but that was my take.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Roma (2018)

Knowing the background of this being semi-autobiographical, I felt Cuaron was playing with the ideas of memories. Specifically, the memories of a 10 year old boy. So the detachment from the issues of the nanny/maid—or even seismic socio -political events—would be reflective of that distant memory of a 10 year old boy. I’m not sure it entirely worked for me or if I’m even right. About Cuaron’s intent, but that was my take.

I think that your reading is correct, or rather was the intent, having delved into a bunch of Cuaron interviews after the fact. For me personally, it comes down to the fact that I'm really glad this movie got made, it's a really interesting way to tell a story and was probably great therapy for Cuaron but didn't connect with me fully. It's still gorgeous to look at and listen to and very much worth seeing and having conversations about. It's a pity I can't convince too many of my friends to watch a black and white movie about a maid in 1970s Mexico. Oh well. My twelve year old daughter watched it with me and loved it. I was honestly surprised because she thinks stuff shot on film "looks old" and hasn't sat through a B&W movie in full before this other than The Elephant Man (she is my daughter, no DNA test needed). But what I learned from talking to her is that it isn't the lack of color that she didn't like, it was the grainy picture. This being so crystal clear and crisp gave her zero hesitations or issues. I must say that I totally dug that choice, as well. Shooting this thing the way he did (literally, I noticed in the credits that he did the cinematography himself, I just assumed it was another gorgeous Lubezki job) was a great idea. It looked phenomenal and the ability to see the wonderful contrasts so clear was cool, it made it feel old but modern at the same time. It helped put me into the movie. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough character work to interest me once I got there. The stuff with Fermin throughout the film was riveting, and I was kind of annoyed that we'd get pulled away from that to spend a lot more time on the family drama. Again, I know the writer/director was in that family so I get why he wanted to do that but as a viewer it frustrated me each time. Hopefully this gets a physical release, I would make an fanedit focused more on that and it would work better for me.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^ I agree completely. 

First Reformed. Truly haunting. A great screenplay that deserves the nomination it received. Ethan Hawke’s performace is one of the best I’ve seen in recent years. He was snubbed. In fairness, I haven’t seen any of the five movies that featured the nominated actors yet.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glass

The reveal at the end of Split felt like an afterthought to me and  I've never quite shook that feeling. Glass however does a great job of pulling its predecessors together, and while the critics seem to disagree this is his best since the underrated ''The Village'. For all the hate he's gotten over the years I'm thoroughly enjoying his renaissance, the world of cinema is far more interesting with him around..

Top Bottom