• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bird Box (Netflix 2018)

Everyone is shitting on this movie but I liked it.
Some find the editing problematic because it makes the audience know some things that will happen later but to me it's on purpose, the director tried things and it worked for me. It is not without flaws though. Like 90% of movies today it's too long for what it has to tell (god I'm tired of saying that thing), the rules about how the threat works are a bit vague and you're left wondering why characters are behaving the way they do with the small amount of information they have.
But all in all I like survival movies and it's a nice variation on that theme. It does not survive the comparison with A Quiet Place though.
A good 7/20 for me (but be aware that you'll probably not agree with me!)
(EDIT: out of 10 I meant!)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Halloween (2018)

Good and almost perfect follow up of the original movie.
I don't understand why reviewers are saying the comedy was distracting, I did not laugh once.
When I heard the focus would be on Jamie Lee Curtis and her daughter AND her granddaughter I told myself "Oh no... again a family focus that will ruin a sequel..." but no. I like all those characters. Sure I wouldn't say no to more Jamie Lee (cause she's great here), but I like the family angle. For once.
The mood is great and Myers is threatening like he never was since Halloween 2.

8/20 (EDIT: out of 10 I meant!)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Bird Box (Netfilx 2018)

Everyone is shitting on this movie

Just getting our own back!

Vertigo
My first viewing after meaning to see it for years, a damn good film for sure, there's other Hitchcock films I definitely prefer though.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Leave No Trace. Really excellent film with another outstanding performance from a young actress. 2018 seemed to be the year of breakout young actresses.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rewatched one of my "favorite" movies yesterday, Darkman. I'm coming to realize that, it's not a great movie, but it is unintentionally hilarious with some of the delivery of lines, and primitive special effects. There's a fan edit of it on this site, and now I want to check it out more than ever, I feel it'll give me the same enjoyment as I used to have for it. I still enjoy it, but I can't take it seriously. I'm starting to have a feeling that I might like the sequels better than the original, and thankfully I now own the sequels.
In the end, conceptually I love it, character wise I love it, but over all presentation doesn't hold up. I think this is a movie that might benefit from a modern sequel or reboot/remake.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Streets of Fire (1984)

This shit kicked ass! Every scene is overflowing with cheesy coolness. Even though it's set in an alternate universe 1950s it perfectly encapsulates 1980s 'merican culture. It's a damn shame that Walter Hill burned out not too long after this one. A perfect double-feature companion with his earlier flick, The Warriors.

4/5

(Thanks to @"jrWHAG42"  for the recommendation.)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Streets of Fire (1984)

This shit kicked ass! Every scene is overflowing with cheesy coolness. Even though it's set in an alternate universe 1950s it perfectly encapsulates 1980s 'merican culture. It's a damn shame that Walter Hill burned out not too long after this one. A perfect double-feature companion with his earlier flick, The Warriors.

4/5

(Thanks to @"jrWHAG42"  for the recommendation.)

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not sure it's possible to not find enjoyment in this movie, and I really recommend it to everyone. I'm pretty sure I've decided that it is definitively my favorite movie, and I really should get around to watching it again for the new year.

There is a pseudo sequel, but I'm very hesitant about it, it looks super low budget, you can't buy it anywhere, the only way to watch it is to pay 10 or so dollars to rent it off of the director's website, and it's kinda sketchy. It's called Road to Hell, from 2008, if you're interested. There's a couple trailers on YouTube.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna check out Streets of Fire too, I think it's the only Walter Hill flick I havn't seen other than than the terrible supernova which I turned off half way through.

The Krays
Not seen this one since the 90s, but caught it channel hopping last night and ended up watching all of it which speaks volumes for whether it's held up. The Kemp brothers were never the best actors but  they feel perfectly cast here, both are a little vacant throughout the film but for portraying Reggie and Ronnie it just somehow clicks. There's quite a few memorable scenes throughout but my favourite is  the 'wonderful word' scene which feels like something out of a Road Dahl novel.  Its great too to see the barmy Steven Berkoff chewing scenery plus there's a nice minimal Michael Kamen score to boot! A better film than Tom Hardy's Legend certainly, may well pick up the Blu-ray methinks

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Neighbor Totoro

I don't award too many movies a perfect 10/10. This one earned it in spades.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just want to echo that STREETS OF FIRE is an amazingly underrated movie.
Highly stylized, a cast of up and comers and a mind blowing soundtrack.

Shout Factory released STREETS OF FIRE on blu-ray a couple of years ago, and it is gorgeous.
Bonus features are decent too.
:D

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glass (2019)

Everything I wanted this movie to be, it is.

9/10

(side note: it's maybe not what YOU wanted tho...)

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
71PJ1fzbHFL._SY606_.jpg

Roma (2018) dir. Alfonso Cuarón - 9/10

220px-A_Brighter_Summer_Day_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

A Brighter Summer Day (or, Youngster Homicide Incident on Guling Street) (1991) dir. Edward Yang - 10/10 

Two beautiful, heartbreaking films.  I love them, the latter more than the former, but both are stunning works.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonder Woman (2017)
I just couldn't get into this. The big moment/idea was interesting, but ultimately fell flat. Gadot and Pine had some good chemistry that kept me watching and wondering how their story would continue or end. Action scenes looked like Jon Woo was consulted with all of the low mo and then dash moments. Ultimately it just felt like a jumbled mess of cgi fodder. I don't understand why directors/studios feel they need to force feed us with beyond comic book standards of believability (yes I know this is a comic book movie, but it still seems ridiculous to me). I thought Justice League was better and I didn't like that one at all....perhaps I'm just fatigued by super hero movies.....*sigh* 5/10

As an aside, I noticed massive amounts of ghosting in the first act during dark scenes. Has anyone else noticed this on their blu rays?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Checked back on the site after going off to do something, and I had a bunch of alerts here. Apparently at some point I must've misclicked the phone screen and subscribed to thud thread. 

Well, anyways, I guess I'll post about the last movies I watched.

Silver Bullet- A great werewolf film, with a bearable young child protagonist, and the first film I've seen with Gary Busey. Also, I'm pretty sure it's just Jaws but on land. Also, I totally guessed correctly who the werewolf was from the beginning.

Meet the Feebles- My father had hyped it up for years as the most disturbing film ever. I wasn't entirely disturbed somehow, and I quite enjoyed it. However, I think I kept drifting back and forth into a sleeping state.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
As an aside, I noticed massive amounts of ghosting in the first act during dark scenes. Has anyone else noticed this on their blu rays?

I just put mine in and watched the first 35 minutes or so (up to where they leave the island) and I didn't see any ghosting.  I even paused and skipped frame-by-frame in much of the sequence where Diana sneaks out in the night, and still didn't see any.  It is also entirely possible I'm blind and/or stupid though.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Both inspired by earlier posts

Streets of Fire
Glad I finally caught this one, it does make a great companion piece to 'Warriors' and ispacked full with actors that were just about to break into the big time (as go to supporting actors at least). A lot of fun and I love Hill's style, most of his lesser films hit the spot for me too...

Darkman
This one's always been a favourite of mine as I love Raimi's style, I've read complaints that it doesn't work as a super-hero film which puzzles me as I've never thought of it as one. It's far more in keeping with 'Phantom of the opera' or the universal monster classics than anything of that ilk.. Hits all the right beats for me and Neeson's hammy performance (which I'm unsure is intentional in places) fits the material perfectly.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Darkman is good in its own right, I just can't fully enjoy it anymore because I was once able to take it seriously, and remember it being much darker and more serious. The film is fine how it is as a campy Sam Raimi film, and Is thoroughly hilarious at times (Where did he go? Then sudden PUMA POUNCE!), though it's hard to watch with the same mindset I used to. Those rage scenes really kill me.
I really want to read the novelization, as well as its 4 followup books. They seem like they will give me a better feeling.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I'll have to give the sequels a look, I was always put off by the fact Raimi wasn't involved

Top Bottom