• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally saw Solo. It definitely does not need to exist for any reason at all, which is why it was the first SW movie in my lifetime I didn't see in theaters. On the plus side the lead actor is good, the set pieces are fun and the score is really, really good. On the downside, the plot twists were sweaty, there were multiple literal cringe moments and the whole character arc makes no sense whatsoever for a SW prequel considering the Han we know from Star Wars. It's also way too long for what it is.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Eighth Grade
Despite all the positive reviews I was hesitant as a Brit that I wouldn't connect with this partially because of my unfamliarity with its U.S mid school setting, its social media angle and last but not least that time in my life being a very very distant memory.  This had none of the cliche's I thought it might and I fully connected with both the lead character 'Kayla' and her bumbling but well meaning father. This almost felt like one of those semi-scripted reality shows we have nowadays it was so well done.  It had me charmed and squirming while nodding in agreement at that time in my life for its entire duration.  Beautifully done with such a brilliant central performance I can't decide whether 'Kayla' and the actress playing her are one and the same.  A late addition to the very best of 2018 for me.

I agree. I’m 48, but the memories of those awkward years came rushing back through his movie. And, with twin six year olds, the prospect of being a dad to that age group soon was equally squirm-inducing. 

thecuddlyninja said:
Finally saw Solo. It definitely does not need to exist for any reason at all, which is why it was the first SW movie in my lifetime I didn't see in theaters. On the plus side the lead actor is good, the set pieces are fun and the score is really, really good. On the downside, the plot twists were sweaty, there were multiple literal cringe moments and the whole character arc makes no sense whatsoever for a SW prequel considering the Han we know from Star Wars. It's also way too long for what it is.

I agree with all of this. I think it has the potential to be a very good movie, though, with a few minor edits just like R1. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more interest in doing an edit of this movie.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Railway Children (1970)
References to political turmoil in pre-WWI Europe and the stirrings of the Russian Revolution are there for adults to appreciate but Director Lionel Jeffries has a delicate touch, keeping everything framed from the innocent and exuberant eyes of the children. The film opens on an idyllic Edwardian Christmas, that and the time of year I'm watching really made this feel entirely like a Christmas movie. It's all about giving, selflessness and kindness to strangers... time for the last piece of Christmas cake!

Bros: After the Screaming Stops (2018)
Like the wonderful 'Anvil: The Story of Anvil', I knew almost zero about the subject of this music Documentary but was invested in their story nonetheless. Again like that other Doc, we are almost in real-life 'Spinal Tap' territory with the two brothers fighting like cats and dogs and singer Matt Goss going up to eleven with some of the nonsense he says. Some really emotional and painful memories too, it's not all laughing at and with them.

^ A guy on youtube has handily made a compilation of the best bits, described as "Possibly the best documentary ever made." :D .

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The Bros Doc is great, an absolute must for anyone from that era regardless of whether you was a Brosette or not. Still chuckling about 'Epitome'.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just rewatched Blue Velvet because I wanted to introduce my sister to it. She kinda hated it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just rewatched Blue Velvet because I wanted to introduce my sister to it. She kinda hated it.

Subject matter or presentation?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Subject matter or presentation?

Presentation. Too artsy apparently.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try Bertolucci’s The Dreamers. I’m sure she’ll love it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dare I add this to my personal watch list?

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bumblebee (2018) - 7/10

It's not original in the slightest, but it's charming and heartfelt.  Plus, I am a simple man.  I see Transformers that look and feel like the old cartoon, I like.  Michael Bay found dead in Miami.

Fingers crossed that future movies are as gay as the recent comics.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stan and Ollie

Much like Bohemian Rhapsody this is a love letter to it's subjects. Both Coogan and John C Reilly dissolve into their parts, Reilly so much so physically I don't think I would have guessed it was him if I didnt know already. Its fittingly lightweight  but very engaging and an interesting  insight  into when fame begins to wane. I would have liked the film to have been somewhat longer and devoted more time to their rise to fame and heyday but ultimately it's a heartfelt tribute to a comedy double-act legend.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ My screening was far fuller than I'd expected for a bio about silent movie stars to be. They still have their fans evidentally.

Stan & Ollie (2019)
An affectionate look behind the scenes of a final UK theater tour of an aging Laurel and Hardy, as their friendship, audiences and health are all on the wane. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly totally disappear into the roles and have all the mannerisms, comedy timing and vocal intonations of the duo, even before makeup and physical resemblances play their part. Thankfully this isn't one of those "sad clown" biopics that seek to flagellate the subjects with depression, bitterness and a dearth of actual humour, this film is full of fun and joy and the occasional tear.

Colette (2019)
Keira Knightley is usually an above mediocre actor, so it was only the good reviews and award nominations that convinced me to give this biopic of Parisian Belle Époque writer Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette a go (I'm glad I did). A timely true-life story of fluid gender as Colette begins to explore lesbian relationships with American heiresses and cross-dressing noblewomen, within her marriage to fellow writer Dominic West. His performance is the standout, bringing real compassion to what could have been an unsympathetic leech in a less nuanced film.

Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)
Thanks for the tip @"addiesin" , this was a fascinating Documentary about a sculptor of which I knew nothing. I did find the decision to wait until the exact mid-point (to the minute, I checked) to acknowledge "the Elephant in the room" (which was obvious with a modest knowledge of 20th Century art and History) to be a mild irritant. That aside, it's terrific and sort of like 'Jodorowsky's Dune' in that it's about a genius who is too wild, maddening and uncompromising to ever be excepted.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Lady Vanishes (1979)

Having never seen the original I couldn't help but think this was a remake of Night Train to Munich. The cast and acting was silly, but after a bit I appreciated the tone of the film. This felt kind of like Charade and I'd say it's a B+ grade movie. A fun outing that makes me want to watch the original and the above mentioned movie again. 7/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
Often laughable FX, blatantly re-used/re-painted sets and a generally kitsch atmosphere mire this anthology Horror from Amicus Productions. Clearly the budget instead went towards bribing a stellar cast of quality thesps such as Peter Cushing, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee, Roy Castle, Bernard Lee and Donald Sutherland to appear (and play it with total conviction). Only Roy Castle's Voodoo Jazz segment has any real dread, although the use of garish coloured Giallo-style lighting throughout looked great.

Edgar Wright enjoyed it (spoilers):

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)
Thanks for the tip "addiesin" , this was a fascinating Documentary about a sculptor of which I knew nothing. I did find the decision to wait until the exact mid-point (to the minute, I checked) to acknowledge "the Elephant in the room" (which was obvious with a modest knowledge of 20th Century art and History) to be a mild irritant. That aside, it's terrific and sort of like 'Jodorowsky's Dune' in that it's about a genius who is too wild, maddening and uncompromising to ever be excepted.

[video]

Yeah I noticed that structural decision while watching too, but I thought it was a wild ride nonetheless. Really good comparison with that Jodorowsky doc, I didn't even think about that but yeah, both megalomaniacal personalities are really similarly captivating and slightly tragic.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Commuter (2018)
Interesting how this movie, that feels so much like Source Code, would also have Vera Farmiga in it. It's a bit slow to start, but it soon kicks into full on action/thriller mode. The movie does broadcast its twists, but it doesn't really ruin the film. In this day and age are there any real twists that we don't expect? As with any action flick, Neeson defies the reality that would have been broken bones and death multiple times and the plot is a bit thin, but I liked it more than his other action outings such as Taken. Could have been more, but a decent movie. Catch it on prime if you have a dull evening.
6.5/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Commuter (2018)
Interesting how this movie, that feels so much like Source Code, would also have Vera Farmiga in it.

The multiverse strikes again.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Last Command (1928)
A breathtaking and emotional silent film from Director Josef von Sternberg. A tragic aging Film extra is cast as a Russian General in a Revolution-set Hollywood film but we then flashback to when he was really a Grand Duke and commander of the Imperial forces. Through his eyes we witness the last days of the Empire but return to the present to see him forced to act out a scene from his former life.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
I grew up on the old Sinbad movies and decided to threw it on in the background. Corny as all get out, but entertaining. Not the greatest Sinbad outing (I reserve that for Eye of the Tiger) but still fun. You watch this one for Ray Harryhausen's awesome effects, which don't disappoint. An evil wizard, a genie in a bottle, an incompetent and imbecile ridden crew, a damsel in distress, awesome stop motion animation monsters to fight, and a hero who cannot die = The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. 6.5/10 

Top Bottom