• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How the hell have I not heard of 'Filmworker'? Putting in my queue ASAP. Thanks T.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
How the hell have I not heard of 'Filmworker'? Putting in my queue ASAP. Thanks T.

It's yet another winner on the Dogwoof Documentary label. They seem to have impeccable taste for films about films recently. e.g.

- 78/52: Hitchcock's Shower Scene
- The Eyes of Orson Welles (Mark Cousins)
- A Story of Children and Film (Mark Cousins)
- Score: A Film Music Documentary
- Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sharky's Machine (1981)

A long time since I've seen this one, its feels very much like a Dirty Harry movie Clint couldn't fit into his schedule given a hasty rewrite.  On the positive side this is one of Burt's best roles even if his direction is a little baggy in places, there's echoes of Blade Runner (which came out a year later)  in the way the romantic elements of the film are explored and at its best its a pretty darn gritty police thriller with a memorable climax. Its kind of a shame Burt never got the chance to play Sharky again even if the Dirty Harry comparisons were inevitable.

The trailer plays up the comedic elements expected from Burt at the time, while it was easily his most dramatic lead role up to then
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]
[/font]

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry To Bother You

Very impressed with Lakeith Stanfield in this, very memorable last year in Get Out this one really cements him as a talent to watch.  A really engaging and funny satire that overstretchs itself and just goes a little too bananas in the final stretch. It's also the only film I've ever seen that paid homage to 1985's The Last Dragon.

Blindspotting
The title alone made me draw some comparisons to Danny Boyle's film fairly early on which it does share some DNA with (it certainly has his energy).  Wasn't sure I would like this one as the culture of these 'hood' dramas aren't something I  can relate to in any way usually but it's fast pace soon had me hooked.  While being more comedic this ones right up there with Boyz N The Hood in its genre.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ready Player One

A movie I wasn't that interested in, but more or less curious about the various 80's references.  It was a fun little ride that didn't offer anything in terms of story themes I haven't seen before (and done better), but it was a visual spectacle if nothing else.

7.5/10

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a movie, but that Haunting of Hill House TV series was impressive.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Ready Player One
It perfectly captures both the illustrative imagination and the vapid emptiness of the eighties and media of the time, and manages to emulate some of the charm, but unfortunately has none of the heart. I don't understand the rules and limits of the world and I don't feel the characters behind the avatars, unlike, for example, in Avatar, so it doesn't feel genuine.

jrWHAG42 said:
Have you read the book?

The book feels much more human. The movie went for more of the large-scale concepts, but as a result you never really get to know anybody. In the book the joy is in the minutia, while in the movie the spectacle is the focus.

A great example is the first puzzle. In the movie, it's a single event that you have to beat to move on. In the book, it's an open ended easter egg hunt with merely a riddle to work from. Wade isn't taking part in some large-scale theatrics, he's instead stuck on the school planet (which they briefly show in the intro to the movie) and only figures out the clues while obsessing over 80s trivia.

I can see exactly why they chose to take the movie in the direction they did, but if you want something a little more grounded (ironically) then definitely check out the book. There's a lot of 80s fluff of course, but the core of it is much stronger.

TMBTM said:
Not a movie, but that Haunting of Hill House TV series was impressive.

I was also incredibly impressed by that show. The moment that pushed me from enjoyment to appreciation was when I realized the entire first half hour of the funeral parlor scene was done in a single take. It just kept going, and going, and going, and then had a goddamned scene change in the middle of it without cutting! I highly recommend this one.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Find Me Guilty (2005)

Vin Diesel's career best performance as a ga(n)gster who represented himself in court in the longest trial in U.S history.  Sidney Lumet can always be relied upon for solid direction when it comes to these courtroom dramas but it does feel more like a TV special than a motion picture. While ol' Vin does a fairly decent job here, there's a ton of actor's who would seem a more natural fit for the role. Decent enough court drama that apparently used much of the original dialogue from the trial.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE WILDLING (2018) now on Netflix

Went in knowing nothing about this movie, as per usual the Netflix synopsis was utterly vague/misleading, but that turned out to be a good thing, as this is a movie you can not say anything or you risk of spoiling the plot.  
I will only say it is a fantastic thriller that starts a child abduction story and becomes something else entirely.
Do NOT watch the trailer.  Do NOT look it up online.
Just trust me, and go for the ride.  
Thumbs Up.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What Dreams May Come (1998)
Revistited this one after years of not seeing it. An intriguing exploration of love, loss, and the hereafter. It's a bit all over the place at times, but there are some powerful messages in the scenes with his kids that leave an impact. 7/10

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
A fresh take on a timeless classic. I appreciated that this wasn't a straight reboot as it did connect itself to the past film. It was consistently funny and the concept was great to bring the idea into the present, but ultimately it felt overly formulaic and too straightforward to warrant returning to the jungle often, if ever. Biggest fun moment in the movie for me was when an uncredited actor shows up and I had to do a double take due to their uncanny likeness to their father. A fun movie that you don't have to invest thought into and will most likely result in smiles and laughs. 7/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Went in knowing nothing about this movie, as per usual the Netflix synopsis was utterly vague/misleading, but that turned out to be a good thing, as this is a movie you can not say anything or you risk of spoiling the plot.  
I will only say it is a fantastic thriller that starts a child abduction story and becomes something else entirely.
Thumbs Up.

Watched it a couple days ago. My opinion isn't nearly so glowing. Pace was too fast for me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:

Thumbs Up.

Watched it a couple days ago. My opinion isn't nearly so glowing. Pace was too fast for me.

I think that is one of the things I liked the most.  I think the filmmakers purposely chose an accelerated narrative pace so the viewer really does not have time to put the clues together until the third act. 

I am not saying this movie is genius or Academy Award material, but for me it is....

...a good old school Universal style monster movie. 

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After watching the THE WILDING, I decided to stick with the genre and had a marathon night....

THE BIRD BOX (2018)
Very enjoyable.  Some good scares.  Has a Stephen King vibe.  And I like it ended on a hopeful note.
8 out of 10.

THE QUIET PLACE (2018)
Intense.  Very, very intense.  But why don't they wear socks?  Regardless, brilliant and scary.
9 out of 10.

BLAIR WITCH  (2016)
Pointless sequel to the amazing 1999 original.  Bigger budget, prettier people, stupider story.  Adds nothing new to the mythology.
4 out of 10.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
BLAIR WITCH  (2016)
Pointless sequel to the amazing 1999 original.  Bigger budget, prettier people, stupider story.  Adds nothing new to the mythology.
4 out of 10.

As far as I'm concerned, the only true "sequel" to The Blair Witch Project is the Curse of the Blair Witch pseudo-documentary. This and Blair Witch 2 are just glorified, inconsequential fan films.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speed Racer (2008)
I had seen people talk about this movie so I thought I'd give it a go. I have no idea what I just watched. Having never watched the cartoon series I have no frame of reference as to its faithfunless to the source material. It has the vibe of Sky Captain meets The Phantom meets The Spirit with the aesthetics of Wreck it Ralph. A frenetic green screen mess that may delight diehard fans and young children obsessed with racing.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bird Box

Forget the memes and such,  this was good. Felt very heavy and powerful to me. I actually got goose bumps and watery eyes like 5 minutes in.  (Movies don't generally affect me this way but it was probably a combination of the subject matter hitting close to home,  my recent vulnerable emotional state that I hope to break free of soon, being high and slightly buzzed on alcohol while watching,  and the films general harrowing nature)  I recommend it,  but only if you're in the mood for something dark.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski
Intense documentary about an artist who could have been extremely famous and wasn't, and why. Don't look him up, just watch the trailer and if you like it watch the film, it goes by quickly and it's very interesting.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eighth Grade
Despite all the positive reviews I was hesitant as a Brit that I wouldn't connect with this partially because of my unfamliarity with its U.S mid school setting, its social media angle and last but not least that time in my life being a very very distant memory.  This had none of the cliche's I thought it might and I fully connected with both the lead character 'Kayla' and her bumbling but well meaning father. This almost felt like one of those semi-scripted reality shows we have nowadays it was so well done.  It had me charmed and squirming while nodding in agreement at that time in my life for its entire duration.  Beautifully done with such a brilliant central performance I can't decide whether 'Kayla' and the actress playing her are one and the same.  A late addition to the very best of 2018 for me.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Mirror Bandersnatch

Really well put together choose-your-own-adventure film. Try it, it's not exactly what you think it is.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Bird Box

Forget the memes and such,  this was good. Felt very heavy and powerful to me. I actually got goose bumps and watery eyes like 5 minutes in.  (Movies don't generally affect me this way but it was probably a combination of the subject matter hitting close to home,  my recent vulnerable emotional state that I hope to break free of soon, being high and slightly buzzed on alcohol while watching,  and the films general harrowing nature)  I recommend it,  but only if you're in the mood for something dark.

Looking back on this,  I still think it's good and the tone definitely nails it,  but i think it would have been more effective had it been told chronologically and edited in a more linear fashion. If I go into more detail as to why it would be spoilery.

Top Bottom