• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Little Man Tate (1991)
Turned off around half way through. I enjoy movies about children with savant like qualities as the occurrence is so intriguing,  but this movie just felt like an exploitation of such occurrences instead of a celebration and exploration of it.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
One of my favorite movies ever. I watched the colorized version this year and was amazed to see details that I had never noticed before. Made this classic pop in a brand new way. I think they may have used masks to crate the color as I was looking at edges/boarders. A perfect movie 10/10.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Haven't watched the series, but I saw the trailer for the Bandersnatch movie and was annoyed at the "stop taking your meds and magical things will happen to you!"

It's even more disgusting played out in real time.

It's presented as a choice "Take meds" or "Flush meds", where the "Take meds" option results in a game over where the character makes a mediocre video game.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DigModiFicaTion" I've never seen "It's A Wonderful Life". Would you recommend I see the original Black & White version first, or the colorized? Which one is better for a first time viewing?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
@"DigModiFicaTion" I've never seen "It's A Wonderful Life". Would you recommend I see the original Black & White version first, or the colorized? Which one is better for a first time viewing?

Definitely original b/w first.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:

Wow, you've a treat ahead then :) . Definitely the B&W first, because it's arguably in a Film-Noir style (in the 2nd half at least). I've tried watching the colorized version but I get to a point and just want to go back to the dark shadowy nights and sparkling white snow of the original look.

The Last Waltz (1978)
The first of Martin Scorsese's celebrated music Documentaries is about The Band's final concert, featuring an incredible array of guest stars, in a who's-who of 70s music. They all hit that perfect Rock sweet-spot, sounding both loose, warm and improvisational and yet tight and precise. Surely a contender for the best Music-Film ever.

(It looks gorgeous on the new Masters of Cinema UK blu-ray.)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
suspiciouscoffee said:
Haven't watched the series, but I saw the trailer for the Bandersnatch movie and was annoyed at the "stop taking your meds and magical things will happen to you!"

It's even more disgusting played out in real time.

It's presented as a choice "Take meds" or "Flush meds", where the "Take meds" option results in a game over where the character makes a mediocre video game.

Sad to hear the choose your own path didn't work out, hopefully the proper series is a better experience as I love Black Mirror.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
They've all been on the BBC the last few afternoons so gave them a rewatch. Always considered this one the second best after Raiders (which is perfect) but it's slipped behind Doom for me now.  Doom is still a rollicking thrill ride the setpieces are just so fun I can forgive its shortcomings when compared to Raiders. Love the young Indy opening of Last Crusade but after that it doesn't quite have the panache of the first two movies in the setpieces and relies a little too heavily on slapstick that kinda makes me wish Connery, Eliott and John Rhys Davies had been less prominent roles. Still great entertainment though and still love Alexei Sayles cameo, incidentally only realised yesterday that Dan Aykoyd is in Temple of Doom!

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
They've all been on the BBC the last few afternoons so gave them a rewatch. Always considered this one the second best after Raiders (which is perfect) but it's slipped behind Doom for me now.  Doom is still a rollicking thrill ride the setpieces are just so fun I can forgive its shortcomings when compared to Raiders. Love the young Indy opening of Last Crusade but after that it doesn't quite have the panache of the first two movies in the setpieces and relies a little too heavily on slapstick that kinda makes me wish Connery, Eliott and John Rhys Davies had been less prominent roles. Still great entertainment though and still love Alexei Sayles cameo, incidentally only realised yesterday that Dan Aykoyd is in Temple of Doom!

Personally Last Crusade is my favorite of the Indiana Jones films. I love the story and characters even more than Raiders and waymore than Doom and Skull. Yeah it relied on slapstick a lot but I love slapstick and find myself laughing my ass off when rewatching. And if I'm not feeling it with the slapstick that rewatch session, I just watch the InfoDroid version instead, which is much more in line with Raiders in tone.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
I don't consider this a Christmas movie at all, mostly because it's timeless for me. This is my first time watching it, and it truly is a great movie, telling us the value of our lives, the hardship, the double edged sword that destiny is. 9.5/10

Arthur Christmas (2011)
I watched this due to TM2YC's review, and it was a great Christmas movie. It's not perfect, but it's a fun ride and most of the jokes land. Rewatchability is also very high, there's a lot of cool easter eggs in the background you could easily miss and the jokes are great so I can see myself re-watching this next Christmas. 9/10

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
Incredibly fun movie, big and flashy but at the same time full of heart in my opinion. 9/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Not the best Black Mirror episode/ TV movie that would probably go to Hang the DJ or Hated in the Nation but turned out to be a fun if gimmicky experiment. It was a little tedious in places seeing things run through a second or even third time just slightly differently but I'd consider it a must watch from a pop culture point of view. No doubt there will be endless discussions over Sugar Puffs or Frosties  and Thompson Twins or Now that's what I call music 2. Fun to see a light shone on the single developer gaming era in the 80's too. Still seems strange to think games came on audio cassette tapes.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the recent talk about the best xmas movie ever, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, it reminded me of the 1977 remake.

That's right.  There was a REMAKE of this classic.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNIe6V3Zvo[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXsaP12bwo[/video]

I remember seeing it as a kid, and enjoying it at the time.  
:D

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What?! What is this thing that Happened One Christmas? Now I'll have to watch this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fascinating. Never heard of it before but a few scenes look pretty good.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had nothing planned today, a bunch of money gifted to me during the holidays, and I just wanted to get out of the house, so from 2-6:30 I was at the movie theater, seeing both Spider-Verse and Aquaman.
I enjoyed both, but I did not love Spider-Verse like I thought I would. I did however, absolutely love Aquaman. It was a mess, but everything that happened in it was hilarious, and I had fun the whole time.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I had nothing planned today, a bunch of money gifted to me during the holidays, and I just wanted to get out of the house, so from 2-6:30 I was at the movie theater, seeing both Spider-Verse and Aquaman.
I enjoyed both, but I did not love Spider-Verse like I thought I would. I did however, absolutely love Aquaman. It was a mess, but everything that happened in it was hilarious, and I had fun the whole time.

IckyComfortableIndri-size_restricted.gif

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm just getting sick of Spider-Man. I did enjoy Spider-Verse, but I found myself more interested in Noir (who was mostly reduced to a joke character), and Peni who didn't do much over all. Also I'm not typically big on child protagonists for one reason or another, and without watching many trailers I didn't realize Miles was going to be the main focus. I by no means disliked it, I just didn't get the most out of it.

Aquaman, I admit is a mess, heavily flawed, but again, it was fun and laughable throughout.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, I'd like to state that in my personal opinion, I did not enjoy It's a Wonderful Life when I finally saw it a couple years ago.

Maybe I just have bad taste in movies.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I took the kids to Spider-Man yesterday. I thought it was okay, but probably among my favorite superhero movies. I don’t know why the live action movies can’t have heart like this one did. I think I just don’t like superheroes. Honestly, the fact that it was written by one of the LEGO movie dudes made me wish they’d been allowed to finish Solo.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two Christmas presents...

Look Back in Anger (1959)
Based on a stage-play and really feels like it, due to the limited locations and over-written lyrical dialogue. The totally believable gritty/grimy realism of the visuals only serves to highlight that disconnect. However, when you've got actors of the quality of Richard Burton and Mary Ure (they'd team up again 10-years later for 'Where Eagles Dare') hurling tirades at each other, it's a privilege to watch.

Filmworker (2017)
An absorbing Documentary celebrating the dedication of Stanley Kubrick's assistant and collaborator Leon Vitali, who gave up a successful acting career to share in Kubrick's quest for perfection. An emotional story that left me deeply moved and angry for Vitali by the end. As you'd expect, the Warner Bros. management give every impression of being a shower of useless c***s.

Top Bottom