• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
bionicbob said:
GRINGO (2018) from Amazon, currently on Netflix
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93O9hDrE-cc[/video]
FANTASTIC!!!  A Tarantino-esqe violent crime dark comedy, filled with fun characters, lots of twists and surprises.  The trailer and Netflix description does it a complete disservice.  Very highly recommended!!! Thumbs Way, Way UP!

This is on Netflix not Amazon?

EDIT: Just checked and it's actually on Amazon.  Adding to my queue.

JEDIT: Looks like it got pretty bad reviews...

It's on Netflix here in Canada.
And I found it to be a thoroughly fun watch.  :D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's bizarre, they're competitors.

Anyway, I'll still give it a watch.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moonlight
Hey, I finally watched this.  It's beautiful and heartbreaking and I love it.  Also, now that I've seen it, it makes me think that the screenplay I've been working on for the last few weeks is just this, but for The White Gays.  I'm writing MoonWhite.  *sigh*

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Space Raiders (1983)
Surprisingly satisfying Roger Corman space-western Star Wars  knockoff that squeezes every drop of production value out of the cheap budget. Some lovely matte paintings and thrilling (re-used) James Horner music add a touch of class. Kinda like 'Captains Courageous' meets 'Shane' in space and feels way more like real Star Wars, than the prequels ever did.

If only I'd had 10p to buy some Space Raiders Crisps to eat along with it.

687474703a2f2f342e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f2d5f774a735677397a7653672f554748797a426a42306a492f41414141414141414453552f386e6d554177675a6f6a382f73313630302f343538323834313538365f383436613530353738662e6a7067

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are genuinely good Roger Corman movies? Clearly I missed out on my research!

I forgot to mention that, this weekend, along with rewatching Joe Black with my uncle, we also watched Keanu and the new Fahrenheit 451.
Keanu was all around excellent, though near the end the DVD was skipped, and a whole 5 or so minute long scene was skipped over.
Fahrenheit killed me. It started so good. The casting was excellent and character portrayals were excellent, aside from Clarisse who is totally ruined. Clarisse is supposed to be an optimistic and happy child who is interested in the old world. In this, she's a rebellious teen who develops a freaking romance with Montag who should be about 20 years older than her. But I digress. Montag is missing his wife, which was odd, but okay. The movie went pretty well for the first, maybe first and a half acts. Then there's added plotlines that don't make a lick of sense, there's no mechanical hound, no Doctor Faber (those last two weren't in the old movie either, but that doesn't excuse this, it should be another adaptation of the book, not a remake). There's a strand of DNA with all the knowledge on it that is inside of a bird and they plan to extract it from the bird and insert it into every animal so that knowledge will spread? But it's knowledge that will only aid a human, so what's the point of it being in the animals? Do they get the knowledge from eating the animals? That's not how DNA works...
I hate it because there are so many great scenes in an overall bad movie.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Space Raiders (1983)
Surprisingly satisfying Roger Corman space-western Star Wars  knockoff that squeezes every drop of production value out of the cheap budget. Some lovely matte paintings and thrilling (re-used) James Horner music add a touch of class. Kinda like 'Captains Courageous' meets 'Shane' in space and feels way more like real Star Wars, than the prequels ever did.

If only I'd had 10p to buy some Space Raiders Crisps to eat along with it.

687474703a2f2f342e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f2d5f774a735677397a7653672f554748797a426a42306a492f41414141414141414453552f386e6d554177675a6f6a382f73313630302f343538323834313538365f383436613530353738662e6a7067

Some reused footage of the 'boob' ship from Battle Beyond the Stars I think in there.. I've just been wracking my brains where I know the kid from. Of course it was that precocious little brat from Over The Top with Sly!!  A classic if ever there was one.  I'm surprised I can't remember this movie I thought I'd hoovered up every campy little sci-fi gem from the early 80's.  Fancy some Space Raiders myself now... think I'd need at least 20p now though and may have to settle for transform-a-snacks.

Bq19WmV.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
There are genuinely good Roger Corman movies?

His Edgar Allan Poe adaptations were quite good, especially "House of Usher" (1960) and "The Pit and the Pendulum" (1961). Corman's finest hour is "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" (1967), with Jason Robards playing Al Capone. 

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, Corman became a genuinely great filmmaker once he went colour. I've considered him one of my favourites ever since I watched The Pit and the Pendulum.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He also trained some big film names on how to get the job done no matter what, like James Cameron and Ron Howard.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
The Coen Brothers' first venture into Digital photography and Digital distribution (via Netflix) is a blackly comic fantastical Western anthology-film, comprising six tales of death laden with irony. Thematically, the seperate episodes hang together much better than you might might expect. The Coen's deliberately flowery dialogue and the magic-hour cinematography make it a very pleasurable experience, even if I did think it came close to feeling mean-spirited at times.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of Coen Brothers, I just watched No Country For Old Men last night. I loved it, though I checked my phone a few too many times and missed some parts. I'll have to watch it again sometime.
I'm someone who is quick to draw comparisons to things, no matter how out of place. Since I'm reading the Dark Tower series for the first time, all I could think of was that the villain was The Man in Black. Obviously they're very dissimilar, but Eh.
This is coming from the person that compared Hellraiser to Crash Bandicoot 2.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 9/10

Don't go in expecting a standard event crossover comic story, it's sooooo much better. Live-Action Superhero Cinematic Universes all found dead in a ditch.

CourtlyHades296

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

This film is a modern classic that is truly a unique experience. I especially loved the animation style and the choice of using Miles Morales.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Valkyrie (2008)
Fantastic production. I'm noticing that I seem to like a lot of Tom Cruise movies. Some of the acting isn't my favorite, but this movie used thematics to really keep the story moving. Jamie Parker gives a riveting supporting performance as Lieutenant Werner von Haeften. 8/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone watched Roma yet? I’m trying to decide between that one on Netflix or First Reformed on Prime tonight.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roma. Interesting and beautiful in black and white. But ultimately I felt it lacked a heart at its center. We follow a maid/nanny, but we never learn much about who she is. More, we simply follow her life as it relates to the lives of the richer people she serves. Things happen to her, but it’s never more than that. Perhaps that was the point. But for me it didn’t work. It seems to be a movie trying to draw attention to these poor people who live to serve rich people. But by not giving the main character more of a backstory, we end up with simply a poor person that has (mostly) bad things happen to her. I wish it was more than that for me.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Wonder (2017)
Heartwarming, experience  expanding and simply spectacular. A wonder of cinema and a beautiful piece of humanity. 10/10

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I had started Wonder and I loved the beginning but I haven’t finished it. I think something came up and that’s why. Should really finish it.

Children of Men (2006)

I will see Roma in theatres this weekend so before I do I wanted to watch this first. I had only seen Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Gravity and I loved them both. But Children of Men... man, what a masterpiece.

A movie that is terrifyingly close to our world. Actually reminded me of the world in Revelation from the Bible. Feels like it’s not far off from now. Scary. But this is a fantastic movie about hope. The plot wasn’t predictable at all and keeps you engaged throughout. The character development was wonderful. Loved all the symbolisms, meaningful images, brilliant camera angles and movements. Absolute perfection.

10/10

Top Bottom