• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Duragizer said:
I watched Mulholland Drive once. IMO, it's just Lost Highway with lesbians — alright for what it is, but not an improvement on its predecessor.

Well if it's a copy of its predecessor, I suppose I'll enjoy it more if I watch it first since I won't have the other to compare it to.

Or you could watch Lost Highway first and put off watching Mulholland Drive for however long it takes Lost Highway to become a distant memory in your mind.

Shucks. Philosophical quandaries like this just lead to mental vapour lock.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
jrWHAG42 said:
Duragizer said:
I watched Mulholland Drive once. IMO, it's just Lost Highway with lesbians — alright for what it is, but not an improvement on its predecessor.

Well if it's a copy of its predecessor, I suppose I'll enjoy it more if I watch it first since I won't have the other to compare it to.

Or you could watch Lost Highway first and put off watching Mulholland Drive for however long it takes Lost Highway to become a distant memory in your mind.

Shucks. Philosophical quandaries like this just lead to mental vapour lock.

But like, Mulholland Drive is on Hulu, and Lost Highway isn't, sooooo
I'm gonna stick to this.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugh.  That movie didn't make a lick of sense to me.  I read a few articles giving completely different interpretations of what was supposed to have happened and I'm like "yep David Lynch is not for me."

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Ugh.  That movie didn't make a lick of sense to me.  I read a few articles giving completely different interpretations of what was supposed to have happened and I'm like "yep David Lynch is not for me."

I like some Lynch. I was a huge fan of Twin Peaks and I don’t believe everything has to make sense. But that movie’s seams are so clearly visible it drives me nuts. I liked the the first half or 2/3 and think it could’ve made a terrific series. I did not like it as a movie.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paper Moon instantly made it into my list of favorite films of all time.

But where's the Blu-ray?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mulholland Drive. It was a movie. I didn't care for it much. It made more sense than I was hoping. It wasn't nearly as good as Blue Velvet. Even my father admitted it wasn't as good as he remembered. I am sure it's a good movie, but I didn't have the correct mindset going in.
I still plan on watching through all his other films though. Really intrigued by Inland Empire, and I believe I read about a film of his based on a graphic novel and starring Nic Cage. And of course there's Eraserhead. I'll have to see if any of his films are at the library.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

Most of Lynch's movies are highly Surrealist — they're no more meant to "make sense" than a Salvador Dali painting.

I imagine you might like Blue Velvet, though — it's weird, but the narrative's coherent. There's also The Straight Story, which is so completely non-Lynchian Disney produced it.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man, art is really subjective. Mullholland Drive is my absolute favorite Lynch, and one of my favorite things of this century.

To each their own. I think the conversation about recommendations shows how different people enjoy different things about Lynch, and indeed about movies themselves.

Not that I ever think people should spend more time on something they didn't connect with, but for what it's worth the movie did nothing for me when I first saw it. It had just come out, I was 19, and I was much more focused on story than emotion back then so I had zero appreciation for surrealist art.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was in my 30s when I saw it lol.  That's not the problem.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Man, art is really subjective. Mullholland Drive is my absolute favorite Lynch, and one of my favorite things of this century.

To each their own. I think the conversation about recommendations shows how different people enjoy different things about Lynch, and indeed about movies themselves.

Not that I ever think people should spend more time on something they didn't connect with, but for what it's worth the movie did nothing for me when I first saw it. It had just come out, I was 19, and I was much more focused on story than emotion back then so I had zero appreciation for surrealist art.

I will surely watch it again sometime down the line! I didn't hate it by any means  I just had a very specific mindset. It wasn't surreal enough to me. That being said, I checked my phone a couple times and probably missed stuff, so I definitely have to re-watch it. 
I'm not even 19 yet, and I typically have a high appreciation for surrealism :p

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, reading back my comment read as a "too young to appreciate it" thing. That wasn't what I was trying to communicate. I was just into very different things in art back then. No better, or worse, just different.

Though watching more and more movies and learning more about cinematic language and older films certainly gave me a better understanding of what Lynch is doing/subverting, but that has little to do with emotional connection in the moment.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Creed II (2018)

Only coming out two days ago i was lucky enough to go to the pictures to see it.

This movie was absoloutely great what movie rocky related isnt, Well maybe Rocky V
Dolph Lungdren personally just made the movie ten times better.
All though i thought it dragged on a bit to the build up of the fight in my opinion.
Still better than rocky 5 rocky 2 and rocky balboa

8/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Without any spoilers... do you think you need to have watched Rocky-V to get this new one? I watched it but so long ago that I remember almost zero.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Without any spoilers... do you think you need to have watched Rocky-V to get this new one? I watched it but so long ago that I remember almost zero.

Absolutely not. If anything, I'd say watch Rocky IV before hand. 

I just watched Alien vs Predator, and it was absolutely awesome and better than I was expecting. I recently bought the 2000 pc game as well as the 2010 game, and playing the 2000 game earlier with my father made me have the urge to revisit the film. I haven't read any of the comics, I'm sure they're better, but I don't care right now, this was a great film. I'm much more of Predator fan than Alien (I've only seen the first Alien though I plan to watch the others).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
TM2YC said:

Absolutely not. If anything, I'd say watch Rocky IV before hand. 

Sorry I Meant Rocky IV. The Rocky punches communism one :D .

Top Bottom