• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Theatre of Blood (1973)
Enormously fun, campy yet gory Horror-Comedy featuring Vincent Price as a Shakespearean actor who returns from the dead to wreak vengeance on the group of snobby theatre-critics who drove him to suicide. He kills each critic in the style of a grisly murder from a different Shakespeare play, aided by an army of meths-drinking tramps. Superb!

I recorded this from TCM Halloween night but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch yet. It seems so borderline but how can you pass-up a murderous Vincent Price?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Suspiria (1977)

Finally got round to watching this as the remakes due in the UK next week. Hmmm I can appreciate the art direction and (some of) the score but can't say I was overly impressed. Think I'll be giving the remake a miss for now even if it does have a Thom Yorke score.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Beverly Hills Cop
 the supporting cast is also a who's who of 80s character actors that now make me need to re-watch; Total Recall (Lt Bogomil), Midnight Run (Detective Taggart) and Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Detective Rosewood).

Marvin look out!!!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Queen of Katwe (2016)
You gotta love the colourful cinematography and Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo deliver mind-blowing performances (crazy that Lupita didn't get an Oscar nomination that year for this film) but those big pluses couldn't fully disguise that this true-life story of a chess player kept giving me the feeling I was watching another by-the-numbers biopic film. Still, it sure put a smile on my face.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still Alice (2015)
I've wanted to watch this for a couple of years and it happened to be on Vudu free. I'm not really a fan of any of the actors but I kept going to the end simply because I wanted to see how the family reacted to the situation. Moore was convincing in her role as was Baldwin, but Stewart delivered the best performance here of a conflicted emerging adult in the midst of heartbreaking tragedy. Not the greatest closure for a movie, but I think that was the point. I would pray that I never experience this in my own life. 7/10

*edit*
Just realized that Kate Bosworth is Gary's girlfriend in Remember the Titans....ironic since this movie is about alzheimerz's.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Blue Velvet  my first David Lynch film. 
I'm confused, is it a prequel to the Mario Bros movie, or Hellraiser? (I said a bunch of silly stuff during the film to combat the weirdness, and this included referring to Frank as King Koopa, as well as comparing him to Frank from Hellraiser.)
Overall, I loved it, I love weird movies. I need to watch more David Lynch.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
An excellent film. If you thought that was weird, wait until you watch "Lost Highway" or "Inland Empire".

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Lynch. Except for Inland Empire. It's the only Lynch film I've ever hated.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
Epic effects, fine story, great characters. A little too much fan service but I loved most of it as a big HP fan. Grindelwald was great, but I now see what people didn't like about the Nazi wizard character. Dumbledore was great, perfect casting. Newt and Tina are super cute. 9/10.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thoroughbreds

Anton Yelchin's last film and a nice epitaph to his strengths as a memorable supporting actor (though I'm sure the big lead roles would have come).  The film itself felt like a dark twisted take on a John Hughes comedy, excellent performances from the two female leads, and a great debut film for Corey Finley definitely one to watch... one of the years best methinks

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just watched Blue Velvet  my first David Lynch film. 
I'm confused, is it a prequel to the Mario Bros movie, or Hellraiser? (I said a bunch of silly stuff during the film to combat the weirdness, and this included referring to Frank as King Koopa, as well as comparing him to Frank from Hellraiser.)
Overall, I loved it, I love weird movies. I need to watch more David Lynch.

I pieced it together. 

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I love Lynch. Except for Inland Empire. It's the only Lynch film I've ever hated.

Hey cool we agree on something wholeheartedly.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently halfway through The Sound of Music. It's not my cup of tea — not at all — but Julie Andrew's incredibly cute and I like her character. Plus the locations are stunningly beautiful.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eureka (1983)
Following the recent death of Director Nicolas Roeg I thought I'd watch this Gene Hackman/Rutger Hauer film about a Citizen-Kane-like man with a gold fortune. Unfortunately it tends towards pretentious pondering and unlikable, unfathomable characters. Nonsense pseudo-profound elliptical dialogue like "I used to have it all, but now I just have everything" and "You are guilty of innocence" abounds.

The trailer didn't seem to be on youtube in anything approaching watchable quality, so I've uploaded it from the blu-ray:

De Palma (2015)
This fascinating look at the career of Brian de Palma uses a documentary technique so simple and effective, it's almost revolutionary. They just have De Palma talk about his films to the camera (nobody else's opinion is offered) one by one, in production order. Devoting equal screen-time to his early student films, commercial hits, and misjudged flops proves quite revealing.

Carnival of Souls (1962)
You'd swear this was an Indie black & white George A.Romero Horror-Mystery if it wasn't made 4-years before his first 'Night of the Living Dead' debut. A disturbed young woman is haunted by a ghost faced figure and the looming spectre of a deserted carnival. The spooky church Organ score and contrast of documentary realism against dream-like sounds and images, squeezes maximum fear out of the obviously tiny budget.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bullitt (1968)
The celebrated car-chase is indeed excellent, all roaring muscle-car engines, gleaming chrome and screeching tires (it was like being back in 1997 playing 'Interstate '76' ;) ). The rest of the movie is 90% tough looking men in exquisitely sharp 1960s clothes observing each other with silent suspicion. Magic-hour San Francisco looks stunning as Lalo Schifrin's Jazz score sizzles.

The official BFI 52nd "Best British film ever made"...

This Sporting Life (1963)
Lindsay Anderson's brutally raw B&W film would make a perfect double-bill with 'Raging Bull'. Richard Harris looks like he's forged from iron playing a volcanic local Rugby star, in a Northern English industrial town. A pre-Doctor Who William Hartnell is really excellent in a small supporting role.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tonight I'm going to watch more David Lynch, my father suggested Mulholland Drive. 
How bad is it on the weirdness/surreal/Lynchian scale? What am I getting myself into?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Tonight I'm going to watch more David Lynch, my father suggested Mulholland Drive. 
How bad is it on the weirdness/surreal/Lynchian scale? What am I getting myself into?

I’d suggest not reading or learning anything about it, particularly it’s production.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
jrWHAG42 said:

I’d suggest not reading or learning anything about it, particularly it’s production.

Too late.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Mulholland Drive once. IMO, it's just Lost Highway with lesbians — alright for what it is, but not an improvement on its predecessor.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I watched Mulholland Drive once. IMO, it's just Lost Highway with lesbians — alright for what it is, but not an improvement on its predecessor.

Well if it's a copy of its predecessor, I suppose I'll enjoy it more if I watch it first since I won't have the other to compare it to.

Top Bottom