• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please try and keep the reviews brief, as the thread title suggests. I know I'm often guilty of exceeding "one or two sentences" by an extra line but I do aim for brevity :D. There are other review threads where we can be as verbose as we wish e.g.

A few reviews

2018 Movies

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep got carried away there should have posted both in 2018 movies really. Feel free to move them there, will bear that in mind next time I feel the need to elaborate :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Yep got carried away there should have posted both in 2018 movies really. Feel free to move them there, will bear that in mind next time I feel the need to elaborate :)

Hang on, I just realised it's your thread... so you make the rules my friend :D . Forget I said anything.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mandy
Quite possibly one of the weirdest  films I've seen this year but definitely one of the best too! I've become a little bit obsessed with King Crimson as a result.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^ Anything with King Crimson in the soundtrack is getting my attention. Thanks for the heads up. 

The newer Sicario. Eh, it was okay. Not nearly as good as the first one.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Mandy
Quite possibly one of the weirdest  films I've seen this year but definitely one of the best too! I've become a little bit obsessed with King Crimson as a result.

I absolutely loved Mandy. At parts I felt it was a bit slow, but not necessarily a complaint. Over all it felt like it'd make a great video game. Also, Nic Cage name dropping Galactus had me laughing. Also also, I love Richard Brake, and I think I now like Nic Cage a lot.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Mandy is the apotheosis of Nicolas Cage.

I really hope he gets his career back on track now, he is still brilliant with the right role.

Scream
Still holds up really well the second half of the movie really fires on all cylinders much more than I remembered. Looking forward to revisiting number 2 now

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Amazing.

A simple movie, for sure. It does not reinvent the wheel of biopic movies, but damn...

Rami Malek, who would not have been my first choice to play the role... he HIS Freddie Mercury during 2h15.
It's pretty much a feel good movie despite some dark plots inside. But I feel it's what Freddie was about.
If you're a fan and heard negative noises about this movie, forget it, go see it, Darling.

8/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971)
An early and lesser Dario Argento Giallo, with some memorable moments but the pretty random resolution to the mystery doesn't fully satisfy. Ennio Morricone's score is gorgeous and a bit more Prog than his others. The voluminously camp Gay private-eye character is so over the top that it's like Argento asked the actor for the opposite of convincing :D .

The Brood (1979)
At the time Roger Ebert described this David Cronenberg Horror as "Disgusting in ways that are not entertaining" and four decades later I think he is still right. Deformed demon kids bludgeoning a nursery teacher to death with toy mallets in front of her crying class and a dangerously disturbed mother licking blood off of her mutant foetus, is not gore of the fun kind. The cast including Oliver Reed are brilliantly intense though.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JASON BOURNE (2016)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4gJsKZvqE4[/video]
Film makers commit the cardinal sequel sin of making zero effort in reconnecting or reinvesting the audience into the character.  Just a wash, rinse and repeat of the same yellow camera filters, shaky camera moves and frenetic editing which makes all the Bourne movies indistinguishable from one another.  Stopped watching after an hour.  Movie should have been called Jason Bored.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn’t like the last two entries in the Bourne series, but the original three are brilliant.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I didn’t like the last two entries in the Bourne series, but the original three are brilliant.

I remember LOVING the first one.  And while I know I have watched the first two sequels a few times and enjoyed them, I could not tell you for the life of me the individual plots of them as they completely all blur together.  Same with the other later two sequels.  I think the Bourne Franchise is a victim of it's own over emphasis of style over substance.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really like the original Bourne film but always felt the subsequent films were more of the same, memories pretty hazy on them though to be fair.

Which aptly could be said about these recent rewatches too.
Scream 2,3 and 4 

The second film seemed very fresh for a sequel when it came out and for me still holds up to the excellent first film to this day. It does help having two of my favourite character actors in it though (Liev Schreiber and Timothy Olyhpant).

The rot sets in with 3 and 4 a little and any minor semblance of plausibility is completely jettisoned now. All 4 films still work really well as Scooby Doo level whodunnits though and the third isn't half as bad as its reputation in my opinion.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Juliet Naked
A sweet and charming 'rom-com' penned by Nick Hornby (so straight away you can guess its gonna be above average) with Chris O' Dowd, Rose Byrne sporting a very decent British accent and Ethan Hawke as a sort of less tragic Jeff Buckley-esque rock  star from the 90's.  Dowd is partnered with Byrne and is Hawke's biggest fan, so when Byrne accidentally strikes up a secret internet relationship with the rock star some nicely observed gentle comedy drama ensues. Highly recommended.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Theatre of Blood (1973)
Enormously fun, campy yet gory Horror-Comedy featuring Vincent Price as a Shakespearean actor who returns from the dead to wreak vengeance on the group of snobby theatre-critics who drove him to suicide. He kills each critic in the style of a grisly murder from a different Shakespeare play, aided by an army of meths-drinking tramps. Superb!

Dressed to Kill (1980)
Brian De Palma shamelessly rips-off Alfred Hitchcock and Dario Argento but with his own OTT spin. The nearly 10-minute 100%-dialogue-free art-gallery sequence is a masterclass of suspense, through editing, music and acting, however the decision to cast the then 50-year-old Angie Dickinson but with a clearly 20-something body-double for the explicit nude scenes looked faintly ridiculous.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Theatre of Blood (1973)
Enormously fun, campy yet gory Horror-Comedy featuring Vincent Price as a Shakespearean actor who returns from the dead to wreak vengeance on the group of snobby theatre-critics who drove him to suicide. He kills each critic in the style of a grisly murder from a different Shakespeare play, aided by an army of meths-drinking tramps. Superb!

Have you got the Arrow Blu-ray?, the league of gentlemen's commentary is a great listen on that too

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ocean's 11, 12, 13, 8
As a big fan of heist movies, I really enjoyed the whole franchise. They have great plots with satisfying twists. My ratings are as follows:
  1. Ocean's Eleven (8.5/10)
  2. Ocean's Thirteen (8/10)
  3. Ocean's 8 (7.5/10)
  4. Ocean's Twelve (7.5/10)
Twelve had a ridiculous scene where Tess, the character played by Julia Roberts, impersonated Julia Roberts as a part of one of the heist scenes:

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beverly Hills Cop

Coming to you from the decade of decadence, dear lordy lord I still adore this movie. My oldest is 13 and it was time for him to get full admittance into adult land with Eddie's foul-mouthed, R-rated laugh-fest. This movie holds up gloriously well, particularly if you celebrate rather than cringe about all things 80's. The last of Murphy's ascension films, it still makes me LMFAO, and the supporting cast is also a who's who of 80s character actors that now make me need to re-watch; Total Recall (Lt Bogomil), Midnight Run (Detective Taggart) and Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Detective Rosewood).

Top Bottom