• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Passengers
I'm not a whatever her name is fan and this just felt like a creepy Sleeping Beauty in space/Wall-e mashup that just didn't work for me. It had its moments of good chemistry and when it appeared to be headed into the psychological thriller thriller realm, but those were shortlived and it resumed a Nicholas Sparks-esque narrative. 6/10

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
MovieFreakedMind said:
Handman said:
Are you planning on watching Son of Frankenstein?

Should I?

Maybe.  It's the final time Karloff portrays the monster, plus you've got Lugosi in a pretty memorable role.  It's not on the same level as the original, or Bride, but there's enough there that it's the one Young Frankenstein parodies the most.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Passengers
I'm not a whatever her name is fan and this just felt like a creepy Sleeping Beauty in space/Wall-e mashup that just didn't work for me. It had its moments of good chemistry and when it appeared to be headed into the psychological thriller thriller realm, but those were shortlived and it resumed a Nicholas Sparks-esque narrative. 6/10

I actually kinda liked this movie, although it is definitely creepy.  And I feel like the ending was dumb but I can't remember for sure.

Someone had an idea to start it off from "whatever her name is" perspective (Jennifer Lawrence) and if I weren't so lazy I'd go look for the thread.

EDIT:

Ideas thread - https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=15161
Pending Approval - https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=16838
ITW (but last post from 2017) - https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=15306

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good points Frinks. That would be intriguing to see it from Jennifer Lawrence's character's point of view. I actually wanted it to turn out that
the waiter robot was lonely and had sabotaged the ship
. Probably where most of my initial disappointent mostly came from. I also find that I rip movies apart when I watch them. Then if they remain standing I like them :)

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mummy -- The Hammer version from the 50s.  This was the first film Hammer had permission from Universal, giving free reign as to how much they could take from their horror films.  As such, this has a lot in common with the Universal Mummy films, but with that Hammer twist.  Plotwise, it's like the first two Universal Mummy movies mashed into one.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien Beasts (1991) [Watch on YouTube]

I wish I had been at the Letterbox'd Movie Night for this one. This was the most baffling nonsense I've ever witnessed. I'm certain that the director was an escaped mental patient. There's no other logical explanation for the what, how and why of this film. I do have to give props for the stylistic end credits. White text on a white background, and it looked amazing.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually made it to that Letterboxd Movie Night.  Quite the experience.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Number23.jpg

The premise is strong, but the writing fails to make good use of it, leading the plot to succumb to pedestrianism. Luckily, the direction and acting are both solid enough to keep the movie engaging.

7/10

Arachnophobia_%28film%29_POSTER.jpg

A fun watch. Didn't like the ending, though.

7/10

The_Call_of_Cthulhu.jpg

It may be faithful to Lovecraft's story, but it doesn't capture a gram of its eeriness. Also, being shot on digital rather than film, it looks cheap as fuck.

6/10

v1.bTsxMjg3Mzk1MztqOzE3ODc5OzEyMDA7NjQ2OzkyNQ

Started off promising, but turned to shit halfway through. At least Florence Pugh was nice to look at.

3/10

Little_girl_who_lives_down_the_lane_movie_poster.jpg

Jodie Foster was a goddamn good child actress.

9/10

Touch_of_Evil_film_poster.jpg

The lighting ... the contrast ... the texture.... :heart:

9/10

The_Maltese_Falcon_1931_Poster.jpg

Ricardo Cortez plays a good sleezy douchebag, and it's always nice to see Dwight Frye turn up. Not really a good movie, otherwise; feels longer than it is, and I don't buy the "love" story at all.

6/10

Young_Frankenstein_movie_poster.jpg

Best. Spoof. Ever.

9/10

SatanLadyPoster.jpg

Warren William brings what little life there is to this picture — not enough to save it from mediocrity, but enough to put it on the fringes of watchability. And poor, poor Bette Davis; she had nothing to work with.

5/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MAMA MIA 2: HERE WE GO AGAIN

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl0PQ5BR4WY[/video]

Sometimes you just want to watch something that makes you FEEL GOOD.  This movie does just that.  Co-written by Richard Curtis (Love Actually, About Time, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral) this musical sequel is full of saturated primary colours, sappy heart string moments and genuine fun.  Lilly James channels Streep amazingly well.  And the end baptism scene will make the most cynical person joyously weep. Thumbs Up!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Halloween 2018
A Good but not quite great return to form for the franchise. The opening scene and accompanying titles was fantastic and really set a tense atmosphere for the rest of the film. Unfortunately though the inclusion of both Laurie's daughter and granddaughter's back stories diluted the tension and as a result the film never felt like it kicked into high gear till very near the end. I was really expecting something on a par with Switchblade Romance for tension after the fantastic opening but the opening hour while certainly having its moments meandered a bit for me

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You Were Never Really Here. You don’t really “enjoy” a movie like this, but I thought it was good. Phoenix was amazing in this recondite character study of a hitman.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mask of Satan aka Black Sunday (1960)
The Italians doing their own black & white take on the Hammer Horror formula with great success. The opening scene featuring a mask with nails on the inside being hammered into a witch's face (without cutting away) instantly tells you that this is going to go a wee bit further than the Horror films of the 40s and 50s (it was banned in the UK for a few years).

The Ninth Configuration (1980)
Vietnam veterans in a Gothic mansion Asylum, blurring the lines between sane and insane, Doctor and patient. I spent too much timing wondering what it was about, what tone it was aiming for, what it was trying to say, if it was supposed to funny, if it was supposed to be deep etc that I'd probably need a second viewing to decide if I liked it :D.

I finally found a pretty decent import blu-ray of 'The Killer' (after buying a few copies) that has both the superior (compared to other dreck releases) Fortune Star transfer and English Subtitles. What looks like a soft and super-grainy 35mm transfer beats out other shoddy DVD upscales. Time for a rewatch...

l_p0016047990.jpg

The Killer (1989)
A total classic of the hyper-violent Hong-Kong action genre of the 80s/90s, one that I could watch forever on repeat. The balletic gun battles are the greatest ever shot but the themes of comradeship and sacrifice are powerfully emotional too. The stylish Direction, inventive editing, effecting score, punchy soundFX and terrfic performances all excel.

CourtlyHades296

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Les Miserables (1934)

This film is an overlooked classic. Filled with powerhouse performances, this film uses its 5 hour running time to deliver a book-accurate, beautifully shot version of Victor Hugo's masterpiece. Unfortunately, no HD English-subbed version exists, leaving the Region 1 Raymond Bernard Eclipse set from 2007 as the best option.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CourtlyHades296 said:
Les Miserables (1934)

This film is an overlooked classic. Filled with powerhouse performances, this film uses its 5 hour running time to deliver a book-accurate, beautifully shot version of Victor Hugo's masterpiece. Unfortunately, no HD English-subbed version exists, leaving the Region 1 Raymond Bernard Eclipse set from 2007 as the best option.

The 2014 Masters of Cinema 4K Scanned blu-ray+DVD has English subs and is widely and cheaply available (but Region B/2 locked):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISÉRABLES-Wretched-Masters-Cinema-Blu-ray/dp/B00O3ABLAG/

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scott Pilgram vs the World (2010, Dir. Edgar Wright)
I've forgetten how good this movie is, it's astonishing in everyway. The transitions, action, characters, story, pacing, set-ups, pay-offs. It's all just mindblowing. It's also pretty great how closely Wright adapted the first volume of the series in the first 20 or so minutes. The beats and dialogue are just all there. Might be the most visually interesting of Wrights features as well due to all the wacky comic book and video game pop ups that happen throughout. One of my favourite little bits is Scott walking in and out of a bathroom which turns into a dream as he's in a school hallway. All done in one take using in-camera techniques. Ramora comes off a little dull sometimes, but all the other characters make up for her anyway. 

Highly reccomended film.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bohemian Rhapsody
Kinda of agree with both the critics and the positive audience reaction to this one. As a love letter to Queen it's a thoroughly entertaining and engaging 'Greatest Hits' version of Queen from 70-85. Even with my limited knowledge of Queen though it was easy to spot things that had been either made up or moved from a later date after 1985 to fit in and give the film it's dramatic license.  In essence it felt like a very rose tinted version of events but i do think that's something the average Queen fan would be happy to see(including me). I couldn't help feeling there was a much more candid and less family friendly film to be made some time in the future that wouldn't be hamstrung by May/Taylor's positive spin on events. A very enjoyable movie though with a star making turn by Rami Malek.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
American Animals
This one really took me by surprise, the use of the real life interviews combined with a (mostly) conventional film narrative made this one really insightful. The heist in the movie was incredibly tense and that was only heightened by the real life participants revealing their inner thoughts as the 'caper' unfolded. I'm not normally much of a fan of modern heist films as they all seem to follow a familiar path but this was great. It's a shame Clint did'nt take this kind of approach to the abysmal 15:14 to Paris rather than casting non actors in the lead roles

Top Bottom