• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE COMMUTER (2018)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDshY43Ol2U[/video]

It's Agatha Christie on a train, except it's not on the Orient Express lol.
A surprisingly entertaining movie, with some nice slick stylistic sequences and old school Hitchcock storytelling techniques.  While some of the CGI is dodgy and there is one real over the top scene near the end, this is a solid mystery/ticking clock thriller that Liam Neeson's solid performance keeps grounded.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Star Is Born (2018)

Great performances (even secondary characters), great music but a story less subbtle and less charming than Begin Again (2013) with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo.
This one is definitely more rock and roll though.
A great movie but without much surprises.

8/10 nonetheless.

Side note: As a fan of Neil Young I liked seeing some of his actual younger musiciens playing with Bradley Cooper.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
THE COMMUTER (2018)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDshY43Ol2U[/video]

It's Agatha Christie on a train, except it's not on the Orient Express lol.
A surprisingly entertaining movie, with some nice slick stylistic sequences and old school Hitchcock storytelling techniques.  While some of the CGI is dodgy and there is one real over the top scene near the end, this is a solid mystery/ticking clock thriller that Liam Neelson's solid performance keeps grounded.

I absolutely loved this movie... glad you enjoyed it Bob.. Liam Neeson delivers again.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dunkrik
Gripping, but while I usually love the unique narratives Nolan creates, I felt the non-linear storytelling in this one hindered the film. If someone hasn't created a linear narrative edit I'll probably have to do that or I'll probably not revisit this film much.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First Man (2018)
Amazing levels of technical detail and touchy-feely realism that left me (almost entirely) unable to tell the vintage NASA footage from the film's own 16mm, 35mm and 70mm footage. It really made you feel the visceral terror of what it must be like operating at the limits of endurance, physics and engineering. If I was being picky... the domestic scenes slowed things down at times and it felt light on awe-inspiring FX shots.

The whole thing looks as beautiful as this shot:

45247850932_39ab3dcf9b_b.jpg

The Theremin-inflected score is lovely:

Fanedit wise, you could trim a few domestic scenes that are unrelated to Armstrong to bring the focus more clearly onto him and not on his wife, add in some more footage from the NASA cameras (which I have on blu-ray) and I personally would have ended the film on the powerful cathartic moon scene (you will know which one I mean when you see it).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 94th Best British film ever made...

The Belles of St. Trinian's (1954)
I'd never seen any of the 'St. Trinian's' franchise, so given the time it was made I was expecting a charming Ealing-style comedy, pea-shooters, raiding the tuck-shop, pillow fights etc. It's much more anarchic, riotous and subversive than that. The young girls of the infamous school run a bootleg Gin operation, mix explosives, fix horse races, commit acts of torture and every other crime imaginable. If you like the Marx Brother's 'Horsefeathers' then you'll like this too.

Deep Red / Profondo Rosso (1975)
Stunningly brilliant and shockingly violent Giallo from Dario Argento. Goblin's amazing Prog score sounds like they are playing Funk on the Phantom of the Opera's own organ. The extended scene inside an obviously real and elaborately unsettling old crumbling house is an exercise in film-making suspense. I watched a 4K sourced scan of the uncut Italian version with the original monomix (looks and sounds incredible).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 80th Best British film ever made...

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)
Shot in a similar painterly style to 'Barry Lyndon', Peter Greenaway's film brilliantly evokes 17th century England, with the help of Michael Nyman's exquisite Baroque score. An arrogant artist is contracted to draw the country estate of a wealthy man by his estranged wife. The artist and his work become entwined in the machinations, erotic desires and murderous plots of the estates inhabitants. The deliberately exaggerated dialogue consists of few lines that do not start in "Really Madame!", or end in "Good day Sir!" :D .

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
I'm sure Spielberg must have watched this Hammer film, the finale looks and sounds like the Ark opening scene. I think it's got some of the same soundFX and Julian Glover (From 'The Last Crusade') even features as a uniformed disbelieving baddie who gets his face melted when the container is opened. The sets and uniforms look so much like UNIT and Pertwee era Doctor Who. The alien props looked rubbish, which is a shame because all the telekinesis FX looked great.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
The survival plot of the first half is remarkably similar to that of 2015's 'The Martian' but the science is much more fanciful. Things take more of a 'Stargate' turn later on when our stranded astronaut befriends a Martian slave, pursued by flying saucers. The clear blue skies of wintertime Death Valley were ingeniously used to create a perfect matte for the red Mars skyline.

Land and Freedom (1995)
Ken Loach Directs a dramatically thrilling and politically thought-provoking depiction of an idealistic Liverpool lad's (Ian Hart) experience of fighting the Fascists in the Spanish Civil War. The initial free spirit of comradeship soon begins to descend into in-fighting and defeat but the ultimate message is that fighting for what is right, is never a lost cause.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (1978)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEaSW1jtnQ[/video]

I watched this the other night on TMC, I had not seen this movie since I was eight years old and I am delighted to report it is still as charming and silly and fun as I remembered.  A kooky script elevated by an amazing cast of comedic actors from both the big screen and small.  I smiled warmly and chuckled through the whole movie.  Sometimes you can go back to your childhood.  :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That looks amazing :D, I'll keep an eye out for it.

A Canterbury Tale (1944)
Another soaring classic from Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, again exploring Anglo-American relations in the war years. Inspired very loosely by the Chaucer stories, two soldiers (one British/one American) and a 'Land Girl' spend a few days in a quaint Kentish village, enjoying the company of the amiable locals. They ultimately all travel to Canterbury on a pilgrimage of sorts and have their deepest unlooked-for prayers answered.

Psycho II (1983)
One of Cinema's more ingeniously conceived and scripted sequels is only let down by a couple of factors. Meg Tilly is bit wooden and Jerry Goldsmith's trad orchestral score is unsuitable, sickly-sweet and overused. If a clean center-channel allowed, perhaps it could be rescored with Richard Band's wonderful and shameless-ripoff score for 'Re-Animator' (it's from the same period), plus make the film black & white of course.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Psycho II (1983)
One of Cinema's more ingeniously conceived and scripted sequels is only let down by a couple of factors. Meg Tilly is bit wooden and Jerry Goldsmith's trad orchestral score is unsuitable, sickly-sweet and overused. If a clean center-channel allowed, perhaps it could be rescored with Richard Band's wonderful and shameless-ripoff score for 'Re-Animator' (it's from the same period), plus make the film black & white of course.

Always had a soft spot for Psycho II.  The set reproduction was incredible.  And Perkins performance was as amazing as it was in the original.

As fate would have it, the always enjoyable Cinemassacre recently posted his thoughts on the Psycho movie series...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCjClNHMuo[/video]

dahmage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First man.

Caught an afternoon IMAX showing and it was so worth seeing in IMAX.

9/10

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC -- Thank you for posting here, I think we might have similar tastes and I've just learned about a few new films to keep an eye out for.  Where do you get to watch these?  I can't seem to find any decent DVDs or Blu-rays for a few of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to watch any movies in about a week or two, which is a long break for me.  I hope to get back into it soon.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Fly (1986)
David Cronenberg's most commercial film, still a great watch to this day with some really great practical effects. Much like american werewolf in London even when the creature effects kick in the emotional side still connects as we know the actor is under all that make up for the most part. Something that would probably be lost in the CGI nowadays

Theatre of Blood (1973)
Vincent Price's greatest film for my money, fantastic plot with a superb performance from VP.  Excited to listen to 'The League of gentlemens' commentary on the arrow Blu-ray now I've rewatched the movie for the umpteenth time

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ready Player One (2018)

My wife, who read and liked the book, hated this.  Didn't even finish.

I, who did not read and therefore had no opinion on the book, thought it was so-so.  Did finish though.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Ready Player One (2018)

I, who did not read and therefore had no opinion on the book, thought it was so-so.  Did finish though.

You probably just need to read more books and hate more movies.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't find the fault in that logic.

dahmage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
TVs Frink said:
Ready Player One (2018)

You probably just need to read more hate and book more movies.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saturday Night Fever - 

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. If I went into detail on everything I love about it I'd be posting a novel. In short, I love the way it captures dead-end life and how music can serve as a temporary escape. It's also a beautiful time capsule into a really weird time in American culture that I'm honestly glad I missed, but I still enjoy witnessing it dramatized on screen.

Bride of Frankenstein -

I'm kind of surprised at how beloved this film is. The parts with the monster and his blind friend as well as the climax and ending were great, but I honestly found the rest to be rather dull. The monster also vacillates between being a senseless cold-blooded killer and a misunderstood, gentle-at-heart creature. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. It was mostly good, though.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you planning on watching Son of Frankenstein?

Top Bottom