• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came here to review a movie that I watched two nights ago...I can't remember what it was. Must not have been memorable at all, or I'm losing it :rolleyes:

*edit*
I remembered, it was the Time Machine (2002). The beginning was ok, but once the time machine kicked in the story, visuals, and sets were pretty terrible. 4/10

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Forgotten  (2004)
About the same as I remember it. Mediocre story with some great eerie moments. This could make a great Outer Limits fanedit, or have been a  X-Files fanfilm. Intriguing but ultimately flat. 6/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bound (1996)
I hadn't seen this Neo-Noir by the Wachowskis since late-night TV in 90s and it looks awesome on the Arrow blu-ray. The wooosh editing soundFX and the Noir pastiche score are bit much at times but it's got that thing that some first films have, where the Directors are out to impress with every shot and camera setup. Making the central Noir couple lesbians isn't just a novelty, it is cleverly used to inform the plot and add extra tension to the erotic scenes.

NSFW trailer:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
I didn't think this was funny enough to work as a wacky comedy and not scary enough to work as a freaky Horror. You have to admire the commitment to making everything clown-based, ray-guns that cocoon people in candy-floss, hunting dogs made from balloons and them reproducing by spawning popcorn (I think???). The best thing was the theme song:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE ACCOUNTANT (2016)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPJ3aENjvM[/video]

An interesting concept, decently executed.   Though the movie plays more like a Pilot for a series.  Affleck's performance is uneven at times. But overall, I enjoyed the movie and would be interested in seeing more.

Fan edit note:  The FBI/Treasury subplot never intersects with the main movie and exists solely to provide background exposition.  I wonder if it could be entirely removed, and create a faster paced, more mysterious story?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 72nd Best British film ever made...

Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939)
Robert Donat is perfect as the title character, a teacher at an ancient and venerable English Public school, in the decades leading up to WWI. Initially he is a young, overly-stern, unpopular and lonely man but when he meets the love of his life on a hiking holiday, he comes out his shell, lightens up and eventually becomes a beloved old schoolmaster. Brilliant age makeup. The short review would be "bitter sweet nostalgia".

I've finally seen the inspiration for this hilarious Mr Chips spoof from the 'Big Train' sketch-show (NSFW):

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
The original off-broadway CD is one of my all-time favourite Rock & Roll albums, manna for fans of Glam, Punk, Ziggy Stardust, Lou Reed and Iggy & The Stooges. John Cameron Mitchell's film version of the musical has never had a blu-ray release but then ooh look, it's on Amazon Prime in HD!  :) (The colourful visuals really pop in 1080p). A mixture of waspish dialogue, fiery Rock performances and a general feeling of melancholy.

Come on Criterion, how about a blu-ray?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
POWER OF GREYSKULL currently on Netflix
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3VxqsVDvE[/video]

An in-depth 90 minute doc covering EVERYTHING from the original toy conception/design to the various cartoons and the movie and the latest Classic Toy relaunch.   Interviews are well done and seem to include EVERYONE involved in the franchise over the decades.  While I was a bit too old for He-Man toys when they debuted, I alway admired the toy design and world building behind the toy line.  A very interesting and entertaining documentary.  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017)
The marketing plays up the inventor angle quite strongly but that is just a small part of this fascinating overall bio of the Hollywood actress. She came up with a ground breaking guided torpedo idea to help defeat Hitler but it was ignored for decades because she was "just a pretty girl" (US Patent 2,292,387). You could hardly script a life-story as perfectly tragic.

By the way, the Jeff Buckley-ish sounding "theme tune" that plays over the credits is really terrific. Gonna have to check out this artist:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 37th Best British film ever made...

Local Hero (1983)
A loopy Texan oil tycoon dispatches an underling to buy up a Scottish coastal village (to turn it into a refinery) but the lovable inhabitants turn out to be even more eccentric than his boss. 'Local Hero' has a unpredictable wit all of it's own and is completely delightful from start to finish. Fans of 'Whiskey Galore' and 'I Know Where I'm Going!" will be well pleased and Mark Knopler fans will enjoy his tranquil synth score.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 82nd Best British film ever made...

Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988)
Terence Davies' autobiographical film about his working-class family in 40s/50s Liverpool. The late-great Pete Postlethwaite is pretty terrifying as the violent father/husband of the family. Short scenes play out of sequence like the jumble of memories, shot like a series of sepia tinged photographs, capturing the good times and the bad, family singalongs and family arguments. A totally unique film in my experience.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
POWER OF GREYSKULL currently on Netflix
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3VxqsVDvE[/video]

An in-depth 90 minute doc covering EVERYTHING from the original toy conception/design to the various cartoons and the movie and the latest Classic Toy relaunch.   Interviews are well done and seem to include EVERYONE involved in the franchise over the decades.  While I was a bit too old for He-Man toys when they debuted, I alway admired the toy design and world building behind the toy line.  A very interesting and entertaining documentary.  :)

Of course I had a number of the toys back when I was a nipper, I kinda still love the live-action movie and got to see it in 35mm a few years back (I had the tie-in 'Blade' toy too, shame I didn't keep it in the box :D ) but I've no real interest in the franchise as an adult. However, I gave this doc a go and it's wonderful, the passion of the creative people involved really comes across, even if you aren't interested in He-Man. It's basically 90-minutes of looking at gorgeous concept sketches, Frank Frazetta-style paintings, oldskool animation and colourful comic books... what's not to like! Thanks for the recommendation @"bionicbob".

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I expected a usual biographical documentary but was pleasantly surprised. Funny, entertaining, poignant combo of Lazenby's talking head, docu footage and mostly comedic dramatizations, a fun insight in wheelings and dealings of that one-time-Bond bloke.

Becoming Bond (Official Trailer) • A Hulu Original Documentary

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solo
I went in with high hopes for a good heist movie in the guise of a Star Wars movie and sadly came out empty handed. Didn't care for the acting, actors, story, or forced explanations of everything about Han. Glover nailed the voice of Lando and Han's blaster sounded good, and some of the aesthetics were decent, but I just couldn't get into this one. 4/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watcg the 2004 Van Helsing for the third time in the past few months. I just love it so much. The cgi may not be amazing, but I don't care. Its a fun fantasy monster action movie  with elements of James Bond and Batman. I guess maybe i love it so much because it reminds me of Castlevania.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watcg the 2004 Van Helsing for the third time in the past few months. I just love it so much. The cgi may not be amazing, but I don't care. Its a fun fantasy monster action movie  with elements of James Bond and Batman. I guess maybe i love it so much because it reminds me of Castlevania.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blackbeard's Ghost (1968)
This cheesy Disney live action comedy (about a spectral pirate haunting a college athletic coach) was one of my favourite films as a kid (for some reason? :D ). I must have watched the tape a lot because I was surprised how many shots, scenes, lines and jokes I remembered. It's probably objectively a terrible movie but watching Sir Peter Ustinov and Elsa "Bride of Frankenstein" Lanchester camping it up to the nines is a lot of fun.

The gunfight with pointed fingers scene is genuinely clever visual comedy:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
An all-round assured debut from Dario Argento, if not quite as visually dazzling as his later movies. Beneath the sexy, arty and violent Giallo exterior, this is just a really well executed murder mystery plot, that had me guessing and theorising 'til the very end. Ennio Morricone's score in suitably unnerving but I did miss the Goblin synths.

Salvador (1986)
After a couple of early low-budget Genre Horror pictures, 1986's 'Salvador' (depicting the bloody civil war) was the first in Oliver Stone's run of politically charged films. Real-life d*cks James Woods and Jim Belushi are perfect casting as seemingly amoral a**holes trapped in the pit of hell, finding their humanity. Stone's fury at the CIA and Reagan's financial and political support of the murderous regime really comes through the screen. Sort of "Fear and Loathing in Schindler's List" and might be his best film.

The new 'Masters of Cinema' blu-ray (the first HD release for the film in Europe) is a big improvement on the old DVD but isn't up to the standard that other full 4K-masters can offer.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Panther (2018)​
I had watched some previews on YouTube which consisted of overly choreographed CGI fights with unrealistic body mechanics and had written this one off. Then it came up on Netflix and I decided why not. Glad I did. The fights were still terrible, but the ethical and moral dilemma T'Challa is forced to confront in his becoming king of Wakanda is fantastic. Even the humor didn't feel terribly off in this movie. Characters felt pretty authentic and not forced. A pleasant surprise. 7.5/10​

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Godzilla / Gojira (1954)
Some early model shots are laughable but when Godzilla finally showed halfway through, I thought the city wrecking FX shots were actually pretty cool. The post-Atomic fear adds a real dose of menace and the cast (Including the acclaimed Takashi Shimura) take it all very seriously, perhaps it's a bit too dry overall. The score is memorable and the soundFX are impressive too.

Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988)
I rewatched this lesser known Francis Ford Coppola/Lucasfilm biopic of the Car entrepreneur Preston Tucker, via the new 30th Anniversary blu-ray. One of the most gorgeous looking films you are likely to see with a nice image upgrade over the old out-of-print DVD and the film is now in it's correct Theatrical aspect-ratio (lots more info left and right). A totally magical film celebrating the American Dream, with a hard dose of the reality too.

By the way, I like the Golden 1988 Lucasfilm logo more that the later incarnations:

Was this the first outing for that design? (I checked and it is the one the film had back in the day, not a replacement).

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mile 22
Peter Berg and Marky Mark's collaborations up to now have all been pretty good but this one missed the mark, irritating characters and humour in a pretty run of the mill conspiracy thriller that thinks its much cleverer than it is, its only 90 minutes long and I felt myself dozing off in parts it was that bland and uninteresting.

Top Bottom