• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 35th Best British film ever made...

The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Alfred Hitchcock doing an Agatha Christie style mystery on a train but the fairly preposterous premise is perhaps closer to the more outre Sherlock Holmes plots (there is a Sherlock reference at one point). The 'how' and the 'who' of the thing is pretty obvious (the 'why' is never really revealed), the joy is more in seeing how all the characters deal with the situation. Plus the witty dialogue has a gag rate higher than most all-out comedies, the best being the banter between two Cricket-obsessed English twits, who turn out to be stalwart and dependable in the end (*).

(*They were so popular that the two appeared in several other films, radio shows and their own TV show).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 69th Best British film ever made...

Hamlet (1948)
Laurence Olivier again adapting, Producing, starring and Directing Shakespeare, this time in moody black & white. Kenneth Branagh's lavish 70mm 4-hour 1996 version is wonderful but Olivier's 2.5-hour version is a superb distillation of the play, that's very accessible and easy to follow. The castle set looks a bit basic and stagey but real effort is made to move the camera around (almost steady-cam like) and to light it all beautifully. I wasn't expecting the final duel to be one of the most exciting and real-looking onscreen sword fights I've yet seen.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Quiet Place (2018)
Wow.
This is one of the better movies I've ever seen. Period. As a parent it is terrifying yet hauntingly beautiful in it's portrayal of familial love. If this doesn't win picture of the year, I don't know what people are watching. I wouldn't change a thing. Perfect.
I would have loved for the father to live, but that is what made this movie so real. Life has rarely been so fragile with such investment in character development as seen in this movie

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Totally agree

The family dynamic and drama was what really made the movie so special. I've read a lot of complaints about the alien invasion backstory not being explained and Blunts character getting pregnant was stupid etc. How easy would it be to use contraception after the breakdown of civilisation? The pregnancy was the perfect plot device for an eventual loss of control and doomsday situation and made sense given the opening of the film. As for the alien backstory that would have been just boring box ticking unecessary exposition.  It really was quite a thing to be able to hear a pin drop in a packed cinema on a Saturday night, people stopped eating in the screening I saw to avoid making noise and spoiling the experience.  One of the best cinema experiences I've ever had

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Halloween 6 last night, and it's the worst thing I've seen. I have no more to say about it, it's just bad. 

The day before yesterday, I watched The Incredible Hulk, more specifically Tomahawk's extended edition. It's my new favorite MCU film, I loved it so much.
Then because I realized who the actor playing Doc Samson was, I ended up re watching the 2004 Dawn of the Dead again with my older sister who hasn't seen it. It's still one of my favorite Zombie films. Can I just say, I love all of Zack Snyder's work.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor (2011)
I agree with DigMod. Thor's story is great, but Jane/Selvig's story is lacking. 5.5/10.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Great movie, I love the idea of someone taking a break and just enjoying their life. Wish I could just do that. :p  9/10.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been a while since I watched it but I thought Thor1 was well done character wise, it's all the dutch-angles and fake looking set designs that put me off.

Thief (1981)
Michael Mann's debut crime/heist film starring James Caan, watched in the harder-to-find Arrow blu-ray 'Theatrical Cut' version, which thankfully doesn't have the dreadful teal regrade of the DC. A decent and "honourable" jewel thief trying to create a perfect family life for himself but the crooked mob, police, government and perhaps fate itself won't allow it. I usually like Tangerine Dream scores but this one was a bit overbearing at times.

42326348680_0e6a1115b7_o.jpg

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Great movie, I love the idea of someone taking a break and just enjoying their life. Wish I could just do that. :p  9/10.

I totally agree, this movie is great I can't think of a single thing to change the movie its perfect.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I watched Halloween 6 last night, and it's the worst thing I've seen. I have no more to say about it, it's just bad. 

Which cut of the film?  I find both to be atrocious, just in unique ways.  The theatrical cut is an incoherent mess, with some truly hilarious transition effects.  To say nothing of the bizarre way some scenes are cut together - having a character react with anger to money being exchanged, yet the exchange is never shown, etc.  But it does at least have a slightly more satisfying finale than the Producer's Cut, and a few more satisfying bits of mindless violence.  The producer's cut has a slightly more fleshed out story, but the story it tells is godawful, diminishes the characterization of Michael, retroactively wrecks parts of earlier movies, and the final confrontation  is one of the most laughably stupid things I've ever seen.  Worst of all, it's just dreadfully boring.  Any way you slice it, 6 is my least favorite of the Michael Myers saga.  I may sliiiightly prefer it to the standalone Halloween 3, but it's borderline.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avengers: Infinity War
"This entire movie is one big CG scene." - Victoria Lonso, EP
Yep. Anyway, it was what I thought it would be and perhaps a tiny bit more. I'll admit I don't care about any of these characters besides Thor, Strange, and Rogers, but there just wasn't enough substance to this one for me. The actor performances feel tired amd fatigued, and rightfully so after a decade of playing characters. If you like the Avengers you'll probably love this. I thought it was a 6/10.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Avengers: Infinity War
"This entire movie is one big CG scene." - Victoria Lonso, EP
Yep. Anyway, it was what I thought it would be and perhaps a tiny bit more. I'll admit I don't care about any of these characters besides Thor, Strange, and Rogers, but there just wasn't enough substance to this one for me. The actor performances feel tired amd fatigued, and rightfully so after a decade of playing characters. If you like the Avengers you'll probably love this. I thought it was a 6/10.

I just recently watched it too. I refrained from a review as I just really think these MCU films are not for me as evidenced by the fact that I waited for home media. For me, there was too much action, some good humor, and little character. As with you, I really don’t care about the characters at all. It’s impressive that they’ve been able to do a decade of this with fairly consistent quality. But I just can’t bring myself to care about any of it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Which cut of the film? 

I watched the theatrical cut. I was going to watch the producer's cut, until I read that it's not much better.

Also, Halloween 3 is my favorite one.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cargo (2018)

best zombie fare i've had in a while. (wait, that came out sounding oddly culinary. . . .) the tale's not epic in scale, and doesn't need to be.

the acting's great all around, and martin freeman especially is a treat to watch. even the baby was awesome; she acted just like a baby would, bless her heart.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Muppet Treasure Island 
I grew up watching this and loved it. Rewatching it now I still think its good, and I honestly can't fathom why so many people consider it one of the worst of the franchise. Out of all the muppet movies I've seen, this and Christmas Carol have always been the most memorable for me. 

Also, I didn't realise Han Zimmer did the score... Did he do the songs as well? I couldn't see any other musical credits on IMDB...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Muppet Treasure Island 
I honestly can't fathom why so many people consider it one of the worst of the franchise.

mti.gif

Who are these foolish people?  :D

I'd honestly rate this "Dead Tom" bit as one of the funniest comedy things ever:

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Who are these foolish people?  :D 

According to letterboxd, @"Neglify" may be one of them ;)

Screenshot_2018_08_24_23_09_14_265.jpg

To be fair, the ratings don't seem to be as much of a landslide as I recall, but (unless you count the TV movies) it still seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum, along with "Space" and "Most Wanted".

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most Wanted sucked, and I barely recall Space (probably a defense mechanism). I should rewatch Treasure Island

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
G.I. Joe - Rise of Cobra (2009)
I think they may have spent all their money on actors when they may have been better served in spending a bit more on vfx. Storyline wasn't really my thing. I feel like this should have been a tamer movie for kids with lesser known actors to allow for the G.I. Joe aspect to shine through rather than a tween movie with big names and mid-grade production value. 3/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DOWNSIZING (2017)
Where the hell was the movie that was advertised in the trailer?!?!?!?
This movie was a complete disappointment.  It fails as a comedy.  It fails as a satire.  It fails as a drama.  The tone and narrative is a total mess.  Nothing to see here, move along.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
According to letterboxd, @"Neglify" may be one of them ;)

Take it to the "Muppets, Ranked" thread.

Top Bottom