• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blow Out (1981) - Bleak, brooding thriller from Brian De Palma. Travolta is great, but many of the other performances I found annoying, particularly Nancy. I didn't find the overall story particularly interesting, but the ending is good. Loved how it was shot + the meta/filmmaking elements. 

The Talented Mr Ripley (1999) - Stuck this on the other night having heard of it, but knowing nothing about it. As I settled in it seemed to be some kind of lighthearted-ish drama, so I was completely unprepared for the dark turn it took half way through. Always interesting to go into a film blind...

This Island Earth (1955) - Not good, but not bad. A dated, but enjoyable visual spectacle featuring tall Oompa Loompas

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vampire Hunter D (1985) - Visually satisfying sci-fi horror/anime that somehow makes a complete mess of its very simple narrative. Choppy editing, super short skirts and underdeveloped characters abound, but if you're able to overlook it's many flaws, it makes for a fun, cheesy ride.

It Came From Outer Space (1953) - Not quite as bad as I remember. A kind of "friendly" take on the bodysnatchers concept (although ICFOS does predate IOFTB by 3 years). It's a little pretentious and often quite dull, but there are moments of both laugh-out-loud ridiculousness and scenes of eeriness. I'm not sure Jack Ryan ever did better than The Incredible Shrinking Man though; a film that rises high above it's B-movie status.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Contact (1997) -
Rewatch. Not really a Jodie Foster fan and WOW McConaughey is young in this one. Story seems half-baked and too comical to take seriously (blonde preacher guy, S.R. Hadden, and the guy who plays Hades running the special inquiry). I do like the dueling science vs faith and religion aspect of the show though. 7/10 for thinking outside the box.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hotel Artemis
While the plot sounds very John Wick this reminded me more of Walter Hill's offbeat crime thrillers such as Johnny Handsome and Trespass tonally with a bit of John Carpenter thrown into the mix.  John Wick fans looking for a quick fix till the third one arrives next year may be disappointed (which may account for its poor general reception) but as a big fan of Walter Hill this was a pleasing throwback to some of his movies.  There's a blistering oldboy-esque corridor fight in the third act worthy of special mention too.  Hopefully Drew Pearce has found his niche as a director as I'd like to see more of this ilk

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deep Cover (1992)
Daringly stylish, violent and gloriously outrageous Undercover-Cops Vs. Gangsters film from Director Bill Duke (He was Mac in 'Predator') from the same era as 'Reservoir Dogs'. Laurence Fishburne being all moody and awesome and Jeff Goldblum doing his unique thing. Soundtrack featuring Snoop and Dre is so good.

I found one of those old R1 Widescreen/Fullscreen DVDs but here is hoping it gets a blu-ray release someday. The trailer doesn't seem to be on youtube (above sub-240p quality) so I uploaded it from the DVD:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
Good movie I picked up the R1 of that a while back, not watched it in quite some time so memory's pretty hazy on it although the hand slapping scene stands out.  

Christine
One of the better SK movies for my money, a great central performance by Keith Gordon plus the addition of great character actors such as Harry Dean Stanton and Robert Prosky in a solid (but not scary) horror thriller.  I remember being really impressed with the effects back in the day as a kid as I didn't realise they were simply just running shots in reverse when Christine was repairing.  Not quite classic Carpenter but definitely one of the good ones.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I remember being really impressed with the effects back in the day as a kid as I didn't realise they were simply just running shots in reverse when Christine was repairing.

IIRC the car for those shots was cast in hard rubber dressed like metal and then pulled inwards by hydraulics... then the footage was reversed. Very clever stuff.

Society (1989)
I watched this gross-out Horror (from the 'Re-Animator' crew) back in the day on late night TV, maybe it was an edited version because I didn't remember the body-horror practical-FX being at quite this level of disgusting and perverted (in a good way :D ), or perhaps 1080p makes them more stomach churning. Brilliant set decoration packed with visual clues, twisted performances and double-entendre filled dialogue. Very much a "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" story.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Cold Light of Day (2012)
A not quite B-rate hostage action flick starring not quite Superman Henry Cavill. He's definitely gotten better as an actor since this one. Shallow characters without any real reason or explanation to their motives. I preferred Sigourney Weaver's Finding Dory performance to this one. 5/10

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Deep Cover (1992)
Daringly stylish, violent and gloriously outrageous Undercover-Cops Vs. Gangsters film from Director Bill Duke (He was Mac in 'Predator') from the same era as 'Reservoir Dogs'. Laurence Fishburne being all moody and awesome and Jeff Goldblum doing his unique thing. Soundtrack featuring Snoop and Dre is so good.

I found one of those old R1 Widescreen/Fullscreen DVDs but here is hoping it gets a blu-ray release someday. The trailer doesn't seem to be on youtube (above sub-240p quality) so I uploaded it from the DVD:

TM2YC said:
Sinbad said:
I remember being really impressed with the effects back in the day as a kid as I didn't realise they were simply just running shots in reverse when Christine was repairing.

IIRC the car for those shots was cast in hard rubber dressed like metal and then pulled inwards by hydraulics... then the footage was reversed. Very clever stuff.

Society (1989)
I watched this gross-out Horror (from the 'Re-Animator' crew) back in the day on late night TV, maybe it was an edited version because I didn't remember the body-horror practical-FX being at quite this level of disgusting and perverted (in a good way :D ), or perhaps 1080p makes them more stomach churning. Brilliant set decoration packed with visual clues, twisted performances and double-entendre filled dialogue. Very much a "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" story.

Wow TM2YC - In my younger days of irresponsibility and post school unemployment and  plethora of your finest herbal remedy - i would often watch these two movies a long with Two Moon Junction for my Sherilyn Fenn fix...a strange combination of rainy afternoon films but hey they were strange and free times.

I watched Society again recently - Arrow did a fine restoration but i do miss the low quality VHS which somehow adds to the charm. We used to quote  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"  often in our haze of smoke but that must have been me reciting Nirvana lyrics ...my brain ain't what it used to be

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ALOYS (2016)

A lonely private detective has the table turned on him.
Modern retro looking German colour Noir - very beautiful looking not dissimilar in style to the Polish vampire Mermaid film "The Lure" . Both highly recommended. It seems our European cousins are leading the way in pushing the boundaries of film.

http://https://vimeo.com/158316354[/video]

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Split
Second viewing for this one and as with most of M.Nights films a different perspective from first time around due to his obligatory last minute rug pulls.  First time around I found that reveall 'tacked on' and a bit of a cynical attempt at re-ignitjng his career.  The film was far more nuanced on second viewing, it worked much better as a  super-villain origin story and didn't seem to come completely cone out of left field the way it did initially.   If Glass can build on this next year (the trailer looks very promising) it will be great to see MNS a hot property again.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Split
Second viewing for this one and as with most of M.Nights films a different perspective from first time around due to his obligatory last minute rug pulls.  First time around I found that reveall 'tacked on' and a bit of a cynical attempt at re-ignitjng his career.  The film was far more nuanced on second viewing, it worked much better as a  super-villain origin story and didn't seem to come completely cone out of left field the way it did initially.   If Glass can build on this next year (the trailer looks very promising) it will be great to see MNS a hot property again.

After watching the Glass trailer i found i had a total different perspective of the films Unbreakable and Split but i suppose that is the intention of Warner Bros and M Shamalamadingdong...is it cynical of me to think WB are conjuring up their own superhero franchise/world ...maybe at some point in future films the breeze from the Happening will be the antihero  :)  
Glass was one of the finest trailers i have watched in a while. I will definitely be on the lookout for copies of the bluray so i can have a rewatch of both films.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Also bring Haley Joel Osment back as a super-hero/villain who has the power to summon a ghost army :D .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flawless (2007) - 8/10
Excellent heist movie. A little long here and there, but what it lacks it makes up for it in the final scenes.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Escape Plan 2: Hades

I will not rate this movie because I only tolerated watching 15 minutes of it.

I liked very much the first one (not a great movie but a fun old school flick with Arnuld and Sly).
During the first 15 minutes of this new one you only see Sly in one little scene (sitting behind a desk). I highly suspect he's only in it once in a while to remember the audience that he is on the poster of the movie...
The special effects are... let's say that I think I can do the same at home if I'm working on it properly full time.
The editing is aweful. The acting worse. The story didn't even start. Sly's hair implants and face reconstruction are jumping at you like never before.
Nothing in those first 15 minutes told me to stay.

If you saw that movie tell me if I'm wrong, I'll maybe try to watch the other 80 minutes.

_ca5df05a-7adc-11e8-98f1-ed5cda4a01f0.PNG

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Escape Plan 2: Hades

I will not rate this movie because I only tolerated watching 15 minutes of it.

I liked very much the first one (not a great movie but a fun old school flick with Arnuld and Sly).
During the first 15 minutes of this new one you only see Sly in one scene. I highly suspect he's only in it once in a while to remember the audience that he is on the poster of the movie...
The special effects are... let's say that I think I can do the same at home if I'm working on it properly full time.
The editing is aweful. The acting worse. Sly's hair implants and face reconstruction are jumping at you like never before.

If you saw that movie tell me if I'm wrong, I'll maybe try to watch the other 80 minutes.
It's very rareI turn a film off and as big Stallone fan I've suffered most of his stinkers, however I got the exact same feeling this was some lame no name action sequel with a guest appearance by Sly to justify the title. I lasted half an hour...

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^yep that one too.. I even quite like it haha!!!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Give me stop or my mom will shoot over junior or twins any day of the week. All out bad is better than mediocre sometimes..

Top Bottom