• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple of 80s sci-fi B movies 

Runaway
Killer domestic robots running amok, it was fun to see fairly accurate drones used in a nearly 35 year old movie. This Michael Crichton movie came out just a few weeks after the original Terminator but it was surprising how much the finale was actually quite reminiscent of T2, and seeing the main baddie (Gene Simmons!) as an L.A cop with black slick backed hair checking out Tom Selleck's sons address on a CRT monitor was just too much. James Cameron has definitely seen this film! No classic but good cheesy fun.

The Hidden
Finally picked up a R1 version of this due to it inexplicably being ignored for release over here. Seen this one load of times but fancied a refresher before I check out Scrib's edit when it's done.  A cracking mash up of Terminator and Invasion of the Body Snatchers

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Not heard of either of those but they sound good.

Metropolis (2001)
Spectacular and beautiful Anime mixing elements of Akira (same writer), Blade Runner, the Fritz Lang film, The Matrix, The Fifth Element and The Wizard of Oz. I can't help feeling it would have been even better (as good as Akira) if the characters weren't drawn in such a stylised doll-like way and the New-Orleans-Jazz score never gels 100% for me.

Headshot (2016)
A decent stop-gap Iko Uwais vehicle for people suffering from Raid-based withdrawal. Too much shaky-cam, generic guitar music, digital squibs and muzzle flashes for my old-skool tastes but the fight chreography is spot on. I didn't really care about the characters or story but the brutal action delivers.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The Hidden
Finally picked up a R1 version of this due to it inexplicably being ignored for release over here. 

I've got a Region 2 copy, but it is foreign. I think you can also get it on blu-ray, but it ain't cheap.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I've been liooking for a reasonably priced version for a while, the Spanish bluray is apparently no better than the R1 dvd.The U.S version which is £20+ is the definitive but I kinda like the lesser quality in a nostalgic way. Got the dvd for £6. Can't wait to see your edit but I do love it as it is.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^Thanks for sharing, TM2YC! It's on my wishlist  :D

When I clicked on the link to look at the blu-ray I skimmed some of the reviews while on there. Was quite surprised to find a review by my brother from 10 years ago... Unexpected (he's not the type to leave an amazon review), and interesting to read since we both watched it through for the second time only recently.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a TV recording of The Hidden on VHS when I was young, good fun.
I know they made a second one but without any actors from the first, as far as I know.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Quiet Place. Well made, well acted, but still just a monster thriller. Not sure what all the hype is about.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bride of Re-Animator (1990)
Plot and character motivations lurch from nonsensical, to totally contradictory.  I suspect they just hastily cobbled together enough dialogue and scenes to hang all the gore FX on. At least those practical FX are fantastically good, even if they don't reach the transgressive heights (or depths? :D ) of the first Re-Animator.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For A Few Dollars More - My first Sergio Leone movie... Loved it. I absolutely have to check out more. 

The Hateful Eight -  I kinda sorta liked it I think? It has all the usual Tarantino tropes that I dislike, but tolerate. The narration adds nothing IMO and the film would have been better off as a continuous flow, as opposed to being divided into chapters. The viewer shouldn't be allowed to breathe.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
For A Few Dollars More - My first Sergio Leone movie... Loved it. I absolutely have to check out more. 

Go watch all of his movies now.  Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite westerns and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of my favorite movies.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
slekyr said:
The Scribbling Man said:

Go watch all of his movies now.  Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite westerns and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of my favorite movies.

Need access to them first :p

I would have started with "Fistful of Dollars", but I just went with what was available on Netflix. Considering just getting them on blu-ray, though the 2 collected releases thus far seem to have mixed reviews in regards to both the transfer and cuts of the films.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
slekyr said:
The Scribbling Man said:

Need access to them first :p

I would have started with "Fistful of Dollars", but I just went with what was available on Netflix. Considering just getting them on blu-ray, though the 2 collected releases thus far seem to have mixed reviews in regards to both the transfer and cuts of the films.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:

If you don't want to buy them on blu-ray and don't like buying digital movies I would at least look into renting them digitally just to experience them.  Renting online is more expensive than Redbox but it compares in price to what Blockbuster used to charge.  I'm sure they are available on Vudu, iTunes, Amazon or another digital renting provider.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:

The Dollars trilogy is like the Mad Max trilogy. Same character (with 3 different names) but they otherwise have no connection, so can be watched in any order (although the end of the third film hints that it takes place before the first). I've got the standard Dollars blu-ray boxset and it looks fine to me:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-with-No-Name-Trilogy-Blu-ray/10781/#Screenshots

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:

^ Wow only £9.99 for all those bonus features, nice. I bought mine quite a few years ago and it looks the same as the US release cover but was a UK-purchased region-free set. All the extras look the same, so I assume the black cover is the only difference. There is also a release that has the same extras-stuffed trilogy discs plus a bare-bones copy of 'Hang 'Em High' for an extra bonus (but more expensive than the above link):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clint-Eastwood-4-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B003U6H7L6/

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
All the extras look the same, so I assume the black cover is the only difference.

Been doing some reading and comparing and it looks like your boxset is essentially the same as on the one I posted a link for, with the exception of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, which apparently has had a much better transfer. Blu-ray.com has some comparison screenshots between the two (15-26, New transfer shown first):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-with-No-Name-Trilogy-Blu-ray/95396/#Screenshots

The yellow is very prominent on the new remaster, but apparently that's the way it was intended. Looks like the set you have also partially cropped some of the image off on the right side, which has now been restored.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got the dollars trilogy on Blu-ray, I thought the transfer was pretty great considering the low budget of the original films. Never noticed anything radical being cut or included either.

The Secret of Marrowbone
While a bit predictable and derivative very nicely shot, well acted and an all round good old fashioned ghost story.  Recommended!

Annabelle Creation
Expected a fairly standard PG-13 horror but this was surprisingly well done. Its got the standard quota of jump scares but they are more well orchestrated than usual, acting as a 'Conjuring Year 0' this and those two movies make for a pretty serviceable horror trilogy.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A triple bill of John Carpenter blu-rays on the Indicator label. One from his 80s prime and his last two movies before his (semi)retirement from Directing:

Christine (1983)
One of the best Stephen King adaptations about a demonically possessed 1950s car called Christine. The roaring engine soundFX, gleaming chrome bodywork and gorgeous Anamorphic lens-flares for the headlights, all take things to a deliberate level of automobile fetishism. A JC masterpiece, featuring a superb atmospheric Synth score mixed with classic 50s Rock 'n' Roll.

Vampires (1998)
Apart from James Woods' fun but one-note Vampire Hunter character, the rest have no character at all. Twin Peaks' Sheryl Lee is sadly wasted, spending more time half-dressed and being beaten up than actually speaking. Surprisingly, the worst aspect of this might be Carpenter's wallpaper rock-guitar score.

Ghosts of Mars (2001)
Originally written as a Snake Plissken sequel, the studio vetoed that idea and put Ice Cube into the Kurt Russell role. Crossfades in the middle of shots and even wipes from a scene, to 20-seconds later in the same scene!?! Bafflingly bad editing and a generic Metal score by JC. Suffers from that thing where you build a set so colossal that you never need to leave it, making the film look small.

Top Bottom