• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
^^
Yeah I liked the Shallows a lot in theater. (even if I was a bit afraid by the directing at the start of the movie).

What I really appreciated about this movie is it told a taunt nail biting horror thriller without succumbing to extreme blood and gore.   While super slick and modern in style, it was old school cinematic storytelling where less is more, and lets the theatre of the mind create the horror.   :D

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
So 3.5/10?

Lol, thanks to correct me, I meant 7/10 obviously. It's still a good movie.
When I was young in school we were always noted on a 1 to 20 scale, I guess I have difficulty to remove that from my mind.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oceans 13
I'll be honest, I can't understand half of what is being said or how it all works together, but I love the editing, acting, and the sound track of this movie. 8/10

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Hereditary' [2018] - A film I found disturbing and harrowing rather than truly scary (though my wife watched several scenes through fingers). Oscar nod for Toni Collette for sure, if not the thing itself. Some genuinely surprising elements, without the usual jump scares. We agreed that it's a film you may need to see more than once to appreciate everything as it plays out; it's just that neither of us want to see it again quite so soon.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been sick and working overtime the last few weeks so I tried to do some catch up this past weekend and saw a few movies.

Incredibles 2 - not as good as the first but I still found it to be very enjoyable.  The villian was the weakest part but the family dynamic was very well done and Jack Jack stole every scene he was in.

Solo - I wasn't expecting much due to the press about production and the mixed reviews but I enjoyed myself while watching this.  I think I give these side stories a little more leeway than the episodes because I thought this was better than The Last Jedi in terms of entertainment.

Ocean's 8 - this was mediocre at best.  I was actually kind of bored for maybe half of the movie.  Other than the cast being made of entirely of women, the movie added nothing new or original to the heist genre.

Infinity War (2nd viewing) - I liked this better than second time but I would still put in the middle of the pack when compared to the rest of the MCU.  I think I'm more intrigued with how the second part will play out.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

This feels and plays like a 1980s cash-in sequel, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  The giant robot/monster fights are not as fun or creative as the original, and the music score is very lacking... why the hell did they not use more of the rousing epic heroic  original???  While all the supporting characters are severely under developed, Boyega and Spaeny are very good in their roles and the movie has some charming moments.  And holy dirty harry, Eastwood really channels his dad is some scenes -- freaky!  
A big budget B-Movie which I would give a C+ rating.  :p

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hurricane Heist - this movie was bad, but unfortunately it wasn't a type of bad that is enjoyable to make fun of like the recent Geostorm, it was jut awful.  It was bland, generic, poorly acted, and poorly directed.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Incredibles (2004) - Fun, great premise, and animation aged well. 8/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple of films from 1971...

The Working Class Goes to Heaven (La Classe Operaia va in Paradiso) aka Lulu the Tool (1971)
I picked up this Italian film when I was on holiday there last year, it stars Gian Maria Volontè (from the Dollars Trilogy), features production design by Scorsese's own Dante Ferretti and music by Ennio Morricone, so it was a good bet I thought. It's an unglamorous portrait of working-class life in and around an Italian metal factory featuring worker misery, unfocused anger, anti-capitalist protests and union-strikes. Volontè is sensationally fiery in the lead role but I didn't love it overall.

Wake in Fright (1971)
An Australian psychological-Horror movie where the main character isn't beset by Zombies, or Vampires but by Australian men being really, really Australian :D. A middle-class teacher yearns to get back to his cosmopolitan home in Sydney but instead gets sucked into a spiral of drink, gambling and violence in the sweltering heat of a small outback town. Like the more recent 'Get Out' the creep-factor is in the little details that feel off, being a stranger in a strange land. Very unsettling stuff.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ninjago Lego Movie:
Tried to watch this movie to see if it was ok for my young kiddos. Eventually turned it off after my mind became numb. Great animation, terrible dialogue and story. I'll stick with the original Power Rangers if I want teenage zord riding ninja ridiculousness.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Incredibles 2- very good and funny and entertaining - 9/10

hotel Artemis- good idea for the movie, but overall for me it just went nowhere
and felt like a big waste of time, money and talent- 2/10

Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom- was very entertaining-  9/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
House of Sand and Fog
A pretty decent melodrama with excellent performances from Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connolly with cinematography by Roger Deakins so its certainly nice to look at. It veers a bit too far into the melodramatic in the last act though and stretches credibility. A depressing slow but subtely gripping experience.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)
The film starts when an English gentlemen's Valet called Ruggles (Charles Laughton) is "lost" in a poker game to a family of brash nouveau-riche Americans. The initially horrified Ruggles, slowly loses his uptight and reserved demenour and embraces everything the new world has to offer. What begins as a charming light comedy develops into a subtly patriotic paean to the American way of life, with Laughton delivering an understated yet deeply moving reading of the Gettysburg address.

Listen Up Philip (2014)
The ups and downs in the love-life of a selfish and arrogant New York hipster writer surrounded by beautiful younger women who deeply care for him for no adequately explained reason. Filmed on grainy handheld 16mm because I guess the Director thought it was cool. Populated by Wes Anderson like characters, without any of the charming self-aware fairy-tale artifice he brings. The ill-advised voice-over only heightens the unbearable levels of pretension with lines like:

"Her dedication to normalcy allowed Ashley to stave off a seasonally augmented sense of melancoly."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Generation (2017)
Brilliantly edited and constructed Documentary about the 1960s London scene and the young British working classes rising up, with Michael Caine as your "tour guide". Cleverly intercuts Caine films of the period and young Caine interviews with new footage of him now as an older man (reflecting the 60s 'new wave' editing style). No boring "talking heads", just vocal interviews from the key cultural figures over vintage Doc footage taken from seemingly thousands of sources. The soundtrack is predictably kickass.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nighthawks 1981 
Sylvester Stallone is personally my favourite actor and now i have finally watched nighthawks this is probably his 2nd best movie and it deserves a lot more credit.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Face to Face / Faccia a Faccia (1967)
Another film starring Gian Maria Volontè, with a score by Ennio Morricone, this time a fascinating philosophical Spaghetti-Western. Volontè plays a meek and sickly University Professor who gets taken hostage by a violent outlaw. As the film progresses we see that it's the intellectual Prof who is capable of the worst atrocities, while the brutish outlaw is capable of humanity and nobility. Intended as an exploration of the roots of Fascism.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hereditary
Really lived up to the hype for me, it's been marketed to appeal to the cinemaplex horror crowd but it's far more in keeping with Don't Look Now or Babadook than any of the gore oriented stuff.  The last half truly felt like a waking nightmare. Spine tingling stuff and fantastically acted Bravo!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blacula (1972)
Blaxploitation reworking of Dracula. Both a genuinely interesting and creative take on the story and an occasionally unintentionally hilarious schlock-fest. An African Prince lobbies Count Dracula to help end the slave trade but instead Dracula turns him into a Vampire, kills his wife and renames him "Blacula" who then awakes in the 70s when his coffin is opened by two gay Interior Decorators (Quite the premise :D ). Apparently influential on Coppola's story structure, in that Blacula is both the murderous villain and a sympathetic romantic hero, who woos the reincarnation of his dead wife.

(Fun Trek fact: 3 or 4 of the cast (including Blacula himself) appear in prominent TOS guest roles)

Scream Blacula Scream (1973)
Prince Mamuwalde aka Blacula is brought back from the dead by the power of Voodoo and resumes biting random people to add them to his undead horde. Pam Grier plays a Voodoo priestess who might be able to undo the Vampiric curse on Mamuwalde. The finale where cops must fight a host of Vampires with improvised stakes and a crossbow could well be the inspiration for Tarantino and Rodriguez's 'From Dusk till Dawn'.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Blacula (1972)

The real Blacula
f50beb6ae9b717f2b0d073738f2506da.gif

Top Bottom