• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ready Player One (2018)

Isn't a really bad movie, but it is one crammed sandwich. But mainly my criticism would be unfaithfulness to the book. Barely anything came from it. 

6.5/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
David Bowie is good. But there wasn’t enough of him.

They should have put that on his tombstone.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wizards (1977)
I always wanted to see this because I'm such a fan of Ralph Bakshi's next film 'Lord of the Rings'. 'Wizards' is definitely a technical trial-run for that but the story is no Tolkien masterpiece, just a load of incomprehensible hippy-dippy nonsense. In a post-apocalyptic future, a bumbling cigar-chomping wizard (with the voice of Columbo) leaves his penis-shaped tower, accompanied by a robot assassin, a kung-fu Elf and a Fairee Princess with big t*ts, on a quest to defeat his evil Swastika-obsessed twin, who is somehow taking over the magical kingdom by screening old movies of Hitler into the sky??? It's more boring than I'm making it sound but maybe if you could replicate the exact cocktail of drugs Bakshi was seemingly on, it might make sense I suppose :D .

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^That looks nuts ^^^

I also like that adaptation of LOTR. Rather overlooked IMO. I'm sure Peter Jackson must have drawn some inspiration from it:

lotr78_Inspiration.jpg

BakshiLOTR-07.jpg

main-qimg-4216403c1290112b95d59d4750a973ff-c

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mad Detective (2007)
Hong-Kong Cop film that is less "Hard Boiled" and more "scrambled" (See what I did there ;) ). A genius but insane Cop with the ability to see people's inner personalities as literal figures walking around, investigates a man with a 7-way split personality! Interestingly the film doesn't play the "what is real and what is not real?" game and instead shows us the Cop's subjective reality and the actual objective reality. You'll almost go mad trying to wrap your brain around it.

Great music:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What Happened to Monday? (2017) 

Providing no less than seven roles for the excellent Noomi Rapace to play this was a cracking B flick. There's nothing particularly original other than the novelty of seing NR portray each day of the week but it's good turn your brain off entertainment in the vein of Equilibrium and Dredd.  One of the best Nextflix Originals

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a movie, but I started the _______ Explained series on Netflix last night. The episodes are brief and the first one, Racial Wealth Gap Explained, was great. It clearly and succinctly illustrated how and why the gap exists using objective measures.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
White Dog (1982)
Directed by Samuel Fuller, co-written by Curtis Hanson, with a score by Ennio Morricone. Young white actress takes in stray white Alsatian but it turns out to be a dog trained to kill black people. Like 'Jaws', if Chief Brody got Quint in to re-train the Shark to be nice, instead of to kill it. Paul Winfield (Wrath of Khan) plays the African-American dog-whisperer determined to undo the damage racists have done. Shocking and powerful film-making but I didn't buy why they didn't put the dog to sleep after it savaged the first person (never mind when it starts killing).

Faust (1926)
VisFX laden Silent version of the Faust story from F.W. Murnau (Nosferatu). Some astonishing FX, costumes, model shots and puppetry for the time. I'd bet money Terry Gilliam watched this before making 'Brazil'. The age makeup is so good I didn't even realise the lead actor wasn't old until he turned into a young man.

Gate of Hell (1953)
Spectacular colour photography in this Samurai film, as if the vibrant silk threads of the Kimonos are woven into the screen. The Emperor grants a loyal Samurai any favour he asks but things descend into tragedy and madness when he asks for another Samurai's wife. I was a bit disappointed when it didn't all end in an epic blood-soaked Samurai duel.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
What Happened to Monday? (2017) 

Providing no less than seven roles for the excellent Noomi Rapace to play this was a cracking B flick. There's nothing particularly original other than the novelty of seing NR portray each day of the week but it's good turn your brain off entertainment in the vein of Equilibrium and Dredd.  One of the best Nextflix Originals

I watched this pretty recently, too. It was basically an Orphan Black/Children of Men mashup that wasn't quite as good as either of them.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ONLY THE BRAVE (2017)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE_GY6zccqc[/video]

Excellent movie.   I did not realize it was based on a true story.   I will not spoil the ending if you are not aware of the history behind the movie.  But I will say the ending is gut wrenching and tears were streaming uncontrollably down my face the last 15 minutes.
An effective and powerful story.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rewatched Stargate last night. I still love the movie, although I had to wonder why Ra would be so passive towards the workers after Daniel and crew escape. Still smashes these cgi-fest blockbusters that we get now, imho.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Rewatched Stargate last night.... Still smashes these cgi-fest blockbusters that we get now, imho.

I agree.  There is some really great old school style movie effects and tricks in this adventure.  It is a throwback to another era of film making, which I really miss.

Which is funny, considering Emmerich's later CGI bloated movie extravaganzas.

But yes, I think the original Stargate still holds up very well.  Plus, it launched one of my all time favourite tv sci-fi franchises, so what's not to love?  :D

vincent007

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The bourne identity this is a really nice action movie, i like it mostly for hand fighting than gun fighting. And cia agent story made it so unique tan other.

...​

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tale of Tales
My wife and I loved this. Creative, dark, mysterious, and tense "new fairy tale" with some familiar elements thrown in just to subvert what you thought was going to happen next.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deadpool 2, not a massive fan of the first one it was fine but nothing more, sequelitis kicks in a bit with this one plot and humour wise, the use of the C word twice in it really rubbed me up the wrong way, just no need for that in a superhero blockbuster movie which is what it is no matter how much its trying to be edgy and hip.  On a side note It never bothered me when it was used in Kick-Ass by It Girl as it felt much more in context with that films indie sensibilities.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
daphne and velma 2018
this has to be the worst movie of 2018 if not the worst of the last century.the director must have never seen any incarnation of scooby doo series ever ,the characters are badly written,badly acted,and are highly unlikeable

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Youth of the Beast (1963)
A similar setup to Kurosawa's 'Yojimbo': A dangerously unpredictable Yakuza arrives in town and starts playing the local gangs off against each other. The difference is that he's secretly out for revenge and not just money. The sharp 60s suits and Jazzy score gave this the feel of a violent Japanese gangster film set in the James Bond universe.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
A low-key depiction of what being in the Irish/Boston mob is probably really like. A cast of world-weary old hoods (led by Robert Mitchum) rob banks, deal guns and betray each other. Interesting broken characters and some tension but not enough dramatic fireworks (on purpose) for my taste.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE SHALLOWS (2016) now on Netflix

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPOpE-_42as[/video]

Easily, for me, the best Shark Thriller after JAWS.   Gorgeous looking, very stylistic and smartly plotted and edited.  A tense and riveting 90 minutes of fun shark terror.   I will not be going swimming in the ocean any time soon.  LOL.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^
Yeah I liked the Shallows a lot in theater. (even if I was a bit afraid by the directing at the start of the movie).

American Hustle (2013)

10 Oscar nominations and zero win: I think it's a good summarisation of what I think about this movie.
It's smartly directed, greatly played by amazing actors, funny, surprising, it deserves all possible nominations... and still, I didn't love it. It was cool. I'm glad I watched it.
7/20
EDIT: I mean 7/10!

Top Bottom