• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Xavier swearing like a sailor... just seems to ignore everything that came before it

"swearing like a sailor" is a real symptom of some forms of dementia. British Comedian David Baddiel did an interesting Doc about his father last year and he behaves just like elderly Xavier. It was broadcast just before Logan hit cinemas, which made it very clear to me that that was what they were doing in Logan:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep fair-dos I just found the whole feel of the film way too dark and depressing considering what came before. Ultimately it completely negated everything the X-Men had achieved for mutant acceptance in the previous films and their efforts were ultimately for nothing. More realistic maybe but way too dour for a film in this genre for me..

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not my choice. I voted for Days of Future Past:

The Secret Life of Pets - Cheap laughs, half-assed clichés, sloppy writing and a "plot" that blatantly rips off Toy Story 1 & 2 in an extremely lazy way (I mean, there are scenes and lines that are just a carbon copy). The characters are shallow and "developed" in such a contrived way that it puts me in pain. An utterly shameful excuse for a film.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huh that's funny, I thought it was fine for the genre (movie I have to try and stay awake in because my kids want to see it).

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Not my choice. I voted for Days of Future Past:
I wasn't a huge fan of Days of future past on first viewing but watching them all in the last two weeks It's vying with X2 as the best one.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Huh that's funny, I thought it was fine for the genre (movie I have to try and stay awake in because my kids want to see it).

Agreed. And it introduced my kids to Bill Withers so it’s okay with me just for that.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your Name - Japanese animation that is utterly beautiful in places and balances humour and pathos well. Trying to imagine how a San Fransisco based Hollywood remake would work (quite well if they stick close to the source). A couple of coincidences that would need ironing out for a live action version, but I loved it.

Molly's Game - Pure Sorkin pumped straight into the jugular. Terrific performance from Chastain, and handled the intricacies of the characters well. As his first directing gig, Sorkin handled it very well and I hope he does more.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Un Homme Idéal (A Perfect Man) - 2015

Hitchcockian french movie about a failed writter who finds the wrong way to have success and continue to make wrong decisions until his life is going haywire. A bit in the spirit of another french movie, Plein Soleil, with Alain Delon (that was later remade under the name The Talented Mr Ripley)
Very well done and well acted by young french actor Pierre Niney.

un-homme-ideal-pierre-niney-1.jpg

8/10

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Filmworker, a fascinating documentary that reveals the extent of devotion of Leon Vitali,
the right hand, leg, ear and eye of Stanley Kubrick. One of the best film related documentaries I have seen.
Wholeheartedly recommended.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Three Days of the Condor (1975)
Robert Redford plays a backroom spook who unwittingly uncovers a top-level CIA conspiracy and becomes a hunted man with nobody to trust. A kind of Watergate-era 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy', mixed with a Hitchcock wrong-man-on-the-run plot. Plenty of "trade craft" for espionage genre fans.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CARGO
Excellent Aussie zombie drama, pretty powerful stuff with an excellent performance from Martin Freeman.  It's refreshing to see filmmakers being still able to breathe new life into the Z genre. That's two zombie movies in a matter of months that have managed to make me well up at the end, the other being to Train to Busan.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOGAN'S RUN (1976)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USADM5Gk9Gs[/video]

First time rewatching this movie in its entirety in almost 30 years.... the core story still very strong and stands up well.  The last 10 minutes it sort of falls apart, as though the writers did not know how to end it and decided just to blow everything up.  Some good  (the city model work) and bad (Box the Robot) production design, and it looks like a cheap tv movie once our heroes leave the city and enter the Universal backlot.  But there is some amazing old school matte work.  Fun 70s sci-fi that asks some good questions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Medium Cool (1969)
Mostly known as the "I always meant to see this 60s counter-cultural classic because it's got that guy from Jackie Brown in it" movie ;) . Filmed on the streets documentary-style, blurring actors and real people during the days/months after Kennedy and King were shot, leading up to the Chicago Democratic Convention protests (A crew member shouting to the Director to avoid tear-gas is deliberately left in). The things it's got to say about race, politics, violence, protest, media, news and our relationship with the TV/Film medium are all very current. The 'Masters of Cinema' blu-ray transfer is totally stunning.

^ The trailer and film uses an awesome track by one of my favourite bands 'Love' as the main theme:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a dark song (2016)

A-Dark-Song-movie-poster-2.jpg

fine piece of horror without slasher/splatter elements. instead of focusing primarily on the aftermath of a dark ritual, the movie is mostly about the ritual itself — a grueling marathon that takes months with no certainty of the outcome.

the two leads are just about the only characters in the film, and their contentious relationship drew me deep into the story. the burn is slow but never boring, and i definitely couldn't foresee the ending. a meditation on loss, grief, and vengeance. recommended.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MANIMAL (1983) NBC 8 episodes

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugb_TIpPoWA[/video]

From tv super producer Glen A. Larson, a show that falls into "it's so bad it's good" category.  Pure silly schlock, with c-list actors MacCorkindale as a crime fighting shapeshifter aided by Flash Gordon's Melody Anderson.   It's low end tv adventure of another era...the gotham canyons of New York look like sunny LA... the hero's clothes magically appear and disappear... cars automatically explode when they crash.... LOL.   Some very nice practical F/X animal transformations created by the legendary Stan Winston.  The dvd quality is decent, but the interlacing is evident in action scenes.  Fun fluff, worthy of it's cult status.
:p

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
CARGO
Excellent Aussie zombie drama, pretty powerful stuff with an excellent performance from Martin Freeman.  It's refreshing to see filmmakers being still able to breathe new life into the Z genre. That's two zombie movies in a matter of months that have managed to make me well up at the end, the other being to Train to Busan.

weeping indicates z movies have approached a certain level of quality. won't be long before one wins an oscar.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Panther (2018)

Original style for a "Marvel movie" but super predicable as a movie (like watching an heroic fantasy movie from the 80s, with a short James Bond movie thrown in it, lol).
Some special effects looked very average for a blockbuster like this but the movie have some interesting imagery from time to time (the tree with the panthers spirits, the setting of the duals etc.). Good acting, good characters (Andy Serkis is a bit too bigger than life though...)
Once again a good episode of the MCU but I have seen this kind of story so many times in my life that no matter how well it is presented, I started to look at my watch a bit.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forty Guns (1957)
A Samuel Fuller Western starring Barbara Stanwyck. It felt odd to see a classic Hollywood movie in CinemaScope and B&W, I kinda expect one or the other. Death hangs in the air and everybody stalks around in black waiting for the gunshot or the rope. Strong female characters from Stanwyck's wealthy and dangerous landowner, to the town gunsmith. At 80-minutes it didn't have the time to develop the characters enough to make real impact IMO.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Labyrinth (1986)

Not good. And holy hell someone apparently got Jennifer Connelly some acting lessons later in life, because she’s also not good in this.

David Bowie is good. But there wasn’t enough of him.

4/10

Top Bottom