• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s been years since I’ve watched 3. But I’ve always said that it’s not a terrible movie taken alone. Sophia is terrible and Pacino had started his overacting thing (which is really out of place for Michael IMO). But the biggest issue is that the first two created the perfect two generation story arc. And unlike say, the Star Wars ST, it was unnecessary even in a sort of anti-hero’s journey as 2 doesn’t have a happy ending.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In The Mouth of Madness (1994) - A rather sloppy story, filled with grotesque imagery and cheap jump scares. The concept is interesting, but the execution is terrible. There is no real story to speak of other than
"Man goes looking for missing person, weird stuff happens, more weird stuff happens, [insert sloppy exposition here], more weird stuff happens, world tumbles into apocalyptic, metafictional chaos."

The only merit I can grant this is for the superbly cheesy metal soundtrack, and some cool effects. Plus, I guess you could say the ending is open to some interpretation.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor Ragnarok - Suffering from a lot of the same problems most films in the MCU do, but gets away with it because it doesn't take itself too seriously - which is one of the main problems with the previous two Thor films (taking themselves too seriously). Good, flawed fun - all I was expecting, and all I got. I'm satisfied. 

The Player (1992) - Interesting, meta, black satire on Hollywood, or more specifically, the movie executive/writer relationship. Not an easy watch given there are no likeable characters (except one, who gets walked all over), but well made nonetheless - and rather ingenius when you think about it. Insane amount of cameos (including a close up shot of a portrait of Hitchcock). Opening 7 minutes are a single shot take, panning between several different characters, and the movie constantly makes excellent use of visuals to double up on communicating the themes.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ET 1982

Just sat down with my dad and watched the classic 1982 movie ET

I have never watched the movie before and to be fair I liked it more than I expected the ending made me and sinbad start tearing up and the score was beautiful

8.5/10.0

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I struggled with  Stranger Things too and gave up halfway through season one because of the enforced nostalgia vibe (feels gimmicky).  

:-/

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Sinbad said:
I struggled with  Stranger Things too and gave up halfway through season one because of the enforced nostalgia vibe (feels gimmicky).  

:-/

Ah, yes. I was going to respond to that. 

I don't think Stranger Things is the same as Ready Player One. Both play on nostalgia, but Ready Player One heavily relies on it to almost entirely carry the film, manifesting itself in the form of bombarding the viewer with pop culture references.

Stranger Things, on the other hand, is chiefly a homage and does not rely on the nostalgia. It still has a good enough script and interesting enough characters to draw you in regardless of whether you care about Spielberg, Steven King or the 80's. Yes, things are referenced, but they aren't the soul and substance - which, in the case of Pleady Rayer Wun, they are (which is another way of saying "Beady Stapler Nun" has zero substance). 

And what you can also deduce from this is:

I don't like Ready Player One. 
I do like Stranger Things.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Back To The Future Part I (1985)

Theres no words to explain how much i love this movie ive watched over 100 times (not exaggerating) 
and every time it gets better and better     and better     and better and you know

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Ah, yes. I was going to respond to that. 

I don't think Stranger Things is the same as Ready Player One. Both play on nostalgia, but Ready Player One heavily relies on it to almost entirely carry the film, manifesting itself in the form of bombarding the viewer with pop culture references.

Stranger Things, on the other hand, is chiefly a homage and does not rely on the nostalgia. It still has a good enough script and interesting enough characters to draw you in regardless of whether you care about Spielberg, Steven King or the 80's. Yes, things are referenced, but they aren't the soul and substance - which, in the case of Pleady Rayer Wun, they are (which is another way of saying "Beady Stapler Nun" has zero substance). 

I haven’t seen RP1 and honestly don’t have much desire to. But while I like Stranger Things, I think it’s more than a simple homage. It’s like a greatest hits mashup and that is off putting to me too.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:

I like Ready Player One but I agree that this was a problem.

I pretty much love Stranger Things.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think I've ever seen a Dario Argento film (Seen some stuff he's been connected with and seen docs about his filmography though). Time to remedy that:

Suspiria (1977) Cult Films "40th Anniversary 4K Restoration" blu-ray
The film looks and sounds like nothing else. The use of intense contrasting colour lights and set design is unique. A total artistic vision. Score by Goblin is unforgettable and unsettling. Story and characterisation is minimal which detracted from the experience. Probably need a second watch to full appreciate.

(By the way, the bonus features on the restoration were fascinating. Lots of long nerdy discussions about raw scans and film repairing techno babble. Loved it :) )

Tenebrae (1982) Arrow blu-ray
Less dazzling than 'Suspiria' but the characters and story are more solid and captivating. Some of the practical gore effects are off the chart in terms of splatter and realism. There is an interesting underlying narrative which is questioning sexism and misogyny in the Horror genre, contrasted with girl after girl being brutally slayed. Loved the synth score.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An American Werewolf in London
Seen it dozens of times but picked up the bluray this week so time for a rewatch, along with Theatre of Blood this is a film that I will always remember as a perfect introduction to horror/comedy and the werewolf transformatiom still stands up today. All the best horror films make you care about the protagonist and Landis doesn't miss a beat here for my money.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
An American Werewolf in London

Been ages since I watched that. For some reason the thing I always remember about it is the pub at the beginning:

An-American-Werewolf-in-London-at-HHN-23-HR.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't think I've ever seen a Dario Argento film <snip>

Oh cool. You're in for some interesting flicks. I've seen 'em all, even the ludicrous ones like "The Card Player" where a serial killer forces the police to play a series of video poker games and if the cops lose the villain kills another victim live via webcam.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Millennium Actress - Incredible film by an incredible director. I never get tired of watching the work of Satoshi Kon. Unfortunately, the UK DVD I have is dub-titles and not a true translation, the region 1 version is expensive and hard to get a hold of, and the only blu-ray is Japanese with zero English subtitles.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Greatest Showman, thought I would give it a look before it disappears from the big screen and watched it on my own in a completely empty cinema which was a first! I did see Premium Rush with the missus in an empty cinema but never on my own. Little more than a 90 minute pop video but the song and dance routines are pretty damn good if musicals are your thing, one for the ladies really but Hugh Jackman makes pretty much anything watchable.  I liked it!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the recent Murder on th Orient Express on a plane the other day. Pretty bad. Like a TV movie, almost bordering on self-parody. The “revelations” were completely without impact.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen the new one, but the twist to Murder on The Orient Express is pretty famous. I wouldn't have thought there would be any point in remaking it unless they were gonna shake things up a bit.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I haven't seen the new one, but the twist to Murder on The Orient Express is pretty famous. I wouldn't have thought there would be any point in remaking it unless they were gonna shake things up a bit.

It’s the same twist, just done with zero panache.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
avengers: infinity war....saw it yesterday, kind of let down by the ending, but im sure it will work out down the road.
no spoilers there i hope.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does it live up to the title though? 

Do they avenge? 

Is the war infinite?

Top Bottom