• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really did get wrapped up in it, I remember watching an interview with Costner where he explained how he liked long films as he felt they gave the opportunity to offer a 'full meal' and I did enjoy his 'flawed' vision. I know what you mean with the capra thing too (i found myself reminded of Darabonts 'The Majestic'), its a film I would definitely be more likely to revisit more often in your shorter form.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just watched North by Northwest on the big screen tonight ,
and the first time in my 43 years ive seen the entire film.
really enjoyed it.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been years since I've seen that too. Was killing time before a gig in the library the other day and saw a copy of the screenplay, so ended up reading that for an hour. Good stuff.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stalag 17 - A gem of Wilders that wonderfully balances gritty war-drama with comedy. This was my 3rd viewing and I still love it, though as an alternative I'd be curious to see the film with some of the more comic elements removed.

Citizen Kane - My first watch of this classic. I think I appreciated it more than I enjoyed it, but it's very well made. The camera work and use of lighting is exquisite. Orson Welles certainly knew how to make a film. 

More importantly though, I can now watch The Simpsons episode "Rosebud" and get all the references.  :D 

babas.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I really did get wrapped up in it, I remember watching an interview with Costner where he explained how he liked long films as he felt they gave the opportunity to offer a 'full meal' and I did enjoy his 'flawed' vision. I know what you mean with the capra thing too (i found myself reminded of Darabonts 'The Majestic'), its a film I would definitely be more likely to revisit more often in your shorter form.

"The Majestic"!!!  Another flawed, but wonderful and underrated Capra-esque movie.  Great movie imo.  :D

Before I ever even heard the term "fan edit", The Postman was the first movie I remember walking out of and thinking "this might be a better if this had been cut or changed" lol.

Years later, when I discovered this amazing site, it inspired me to take a crack at it.  It is one of my earliest edit attempts, and I think I would do things slightly differently now but over all I am still fairly happy with it.  

It is a tough movie to edit, as it feels like TWO movies.... the first 45 minutes is all prologue/origin/set-up, the actual story does not even kick in until almost at the one hour mark.  It might have worked better at a tv mini-series?   Though I keep hoping one day they will release a version with deleted scenes, as there is a scene in one of the trailers of Costner at the Dam City being asked by the little boy what a Postman is... it looks very cheesy inspirational... just the kind of thing I love.  ha

But yeah, I have a genuine love of this flawed flick.  Despite some family miscasting, I think main narrative works well and the overall direction is strong.   I enjoy Waterworld too, but I think The Postman is stonger and has aged better of the two.  In someways, it feels slightly more relevant in today's political climate.

On the flipside, the novel THE POSTMAN by David Brinn, is Fantastic but bears almost no resemblance to the movie.  A classic example of Hollywood buying a novel for it's title and concept but not's actual story.  lol.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I managed to grab your expedited version so I wil definitely give that version a go next time. I've always had a soft spot for most things Costner has done and this was certainly no exception, Open Range is a fine old fashioned western too speaking of his directorial efforts  Having let the film digest a couple of days I definitely think its a darn good film with some bad bits too rather than the other way round :)

Bad Day For The Cut
This one felt like Ireland's take on Dead Man's Shoes / Blue Ruin, its not quite as good as either of those films but its a solid enough revenge drama with the excellent Susan Lynch who I also spotted as Parzival's aunt in Ready Player One yesterday.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Citizen Kane - My first watch of this classic. I think I appreciated it more than I enjoyed it, but it's very well made. The camera work and use of lighting is exquisite. Orson Welles certainly knew how to make a film. 

More importantly though, I can now watch The Simpsons episode "Rosebud" and get all the references.  :D 

This should come in handy:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Godzilla (1954) - A Japanese classic! I loved how subtle the music was in this; silence is also used well, particularly during Godzilla's introduction.
The effects are impressive for the time and action is really well edited, with quick cuts that don't linger on the monster for too long. I was expecting stop motion, but it turned out to be a guy in a suit (I think?). The human-drama is also quite engaging (unlike the more recent incarnation) and the ending is rather emotional - although there is a character arc/subplot that isn't really concluded.

Very enjoyable... and faneditable ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle"
Absolutely loved this. This is exactly how this type of family-friendly adventure film should be made.

"Game Over, Man"
 Fricking oh my lord. This rocked so hardcore. Stoner Die Hard, from the stoners who brought you "Workaholics".

"You Were Never Really Here"
Beautiful music, wonderful performances, smart story telling. A film that requires you to pay full attention just to know what the hell is going on.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]W[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]atched[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] th[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]e Phantom Thread last night. I was mildly disappointed with Inherent Vice, if only because the idea of Anderson adapting Pync[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hon had my expectations too high. This is a very different movie, but still unmistakably A[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]n[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ders[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]o[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]n[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif].[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]W[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]atched[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] th[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]e Phantom Thread last night. I was mildly disappointed with Inherent Vice, if only because the idea of Anderson adapting Pync[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hon had my expectations too high. This is a very different movie, but still unmistakably A[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]n[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ders[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]o[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]n[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif].[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

Wowza. Bold text. 

XR9J5.gif

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Children of Men
Watching the TV series of Handmaids Tale at the moment and decided to give this a rewatch as it explores the same theme.  I really like how minimal the film is in terms of exposition, its certainly the most realistic and plausible depiction I can think of the future gone bad.  As for those long takes just amazing to watch, Alfonso Cuaron really knows how to put his audience IN a scene, Gravity at the cinema in 3D was superb too..

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Children of Men

Been a while since I've seen that, but I remember thinking it was very good. Really well filmed. Some very long single-shot scenes that must have been tricky to get right, (Eg. The scene in the car).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love that movie. That long shot in the car is amazing. It isn’t just a gimmick either. The tension is so much more amped up with that long shot. The making of it is pretty incredible too. The video quality here is pretty terrible, but it’s cool to see how it was done. 

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ready Player One - An inconsistently entertaining spectacle that's generally far too long and lacks any form of depth or substance. The film relies far too heavily on the use of pop culture references. The ones I got made me feel like I was being manipulated, the ones I didn't made me feel alienated. If I were to list the things I enjoyed about the film, none of them would have anything to do with pop culture. The film is also littered with half developed characters/plot arcs and convenient mechanisms verging into Deus Ex Machina territory, that are only barely passable due to the seemingly rule-less virtual world in which everything takes place.

And most annoyingly... 
All the main characters who meet up in this massive virtual world all happen to be of a similar age and live near each other? And seriously, the girl has a birth mark? That's it? She's attractive. The mark wasn't remotely distracting. Chance missed to break the rules of Hollywood and have a far more interesting and unlikely romance. 

...and another thing: that kid doesn't spend one second mourning the loss of his aunt.

Overall: A mix of fun, funny, boring, cringey and stupid.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Thought it was just me, it just felt wrong to me that Spielberg himself was using all those 80s references to manipulate his audience. I struggled with  Stranger Things too and gave up halfway through season one because of the enforced nostalgia vibe (feels gimmicky).  I do think theres a fanedit in there though that could make me like RP1 more though...  the problems with it Scrib highlights are more forgivable in a 90-100min runtime

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Hollywoodland' [2006].

I've been on a Superman kick recently, so I checked this film out, concerning the mysterious death of actor George Reeves - 'Superman' for million of TV viewers in the 50s. The film follows Adrien Brody as a Private Investigator as he follows leads, with flashbacks of Reeves' life positing what may have happened. Ben Affleck plays Reeves, but looked too young in my opinion; otherwise the cast was strong and the film captured a 50s Americana well (or what this 70s-baby Brit considers it should look like). Overlong, but intriguing enough for me to request this book from the library to learn more.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Platoon

Of all the depictions of the Vietnam war Platoon is definitely one of the best and certainly the most believeable/realistic. Its low budget was more evident than I remembered and Charlie Sheen is just adequate in the lead role. The Berenger/Dafoe good vs evil rivalry is the movies real emotional anchor and 'that' iconic scene is one of the most memorable images in modern cinema..

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the Money in the World. It was okay. Plummer was the best thing about it. I enjoyed the kidnapper’s portrayal as well. Wahlberg was woefully miscast. He stood out like a sore thumb.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Godfather: Part III - Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Copolla's daughter can't act for pickles - like, really, she's awful - but apart from that the film is pretty good. It's not as tight as the other two, and the story is flawed
( Michael and Kay's "gradual" reconciliation is unconvincing.)
 but it signs things off rather well (and brutally).

Top Bottom