• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Scribbling Man said:
I'm keen to get my editing gloves on.

489995-3.jpg

definitely do not wear to visit toilet.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) - Enjoyable and well made, but, by nature of the concept, its unavoidably preachy. The production values are pretty high compared to others of the genre and decade, but it's not nearly as "intelligent" as its reputation suggests - the science fiction aspect is pretty light.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Game Night
This one had me chuckling all the way through, it reminded me a lot of Risky Business right down to the Tangerine Dreamesque soundtrack. Bateman is his usual likeable self but Rachael McAdams and Matt Damon  Jessie Plemons really shine. The plot while silly was great fun, a very engaging watch this was was a hoot!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Panther
I guess I can see why there's been all this hyperbole about it but I find it hard to believe without the cultural significance that anybody would be raving about it.  Admittedly I wouldn't rave about anything in the MCU but this was at the lower end ranking wise for me..

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just sat down to watch Ben Hur for the first time.

A 6 minute overture at the start with nothing happening on screen is probably a good indication of what I'm in for!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
A 6 minute overture at the start with nothing happening on screen is probably a good indication of what I'm in for!

It isn't, lots of great movies start that way but in this case you are bang on the money! I've never made it through 'Ben Hur' :D .

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Scribbling Man said:

It isn't, lots of great movies start that way but in this case you are bang on the money! I've never made it through 'Ben Hur' :D .

1 hour 15 minutes in and I'm actually really enjoying it, despite a lengthy prologue. I can't help but log certain things in case of a future fanedit, however... I am aware one currently exists, which I'll probably have to check out sometime, or at least compare notes against the cutlist!

Also noticed a couple of bizarre jump cuts which I can't really tell are intentional or not. I know they are sometimes used stylistically, but I can rarely tell the difference...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ben Hur (1959) - I actually really liked this. It's bloody long, and could do with a trim, but I still found it engaging, even gripping at points. The chariot race is fantastic (as is Judah and his enemy's final exchange) - arguably the strongest moment - whereas the rest of the film has scenes ranging from good to bad to great. Acting is variable, as is dialogue. I'd really, really like to fanedit this....

"A+ Movie Edition"? ;)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Ben Hur (1959) - I'd really, really like to fanedit this

@"ranger613" did an edit a few years back taking a whopping 78-minutes out: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/ben-hur-prince-of-jerusalem/

Yup! It's been downloading while I've been watching  :D

Just been having another read through the cutlist as well and I think his vision for the edit was probably slightly different to what I'm thinking for some areas; nevertheless, I'll be checking it out. His work looks good!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just realised my copy includes the original 1925 silent version... 

...and Frank Drebin Leslie Neilson screen tests. 

2a4d7d8fa75cae6a175aced734be1b7c.jpg

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Villainess on UK Netflix - the opening and closing action scenes are phenomenal; the opener in particular is the best thing I've seen since The Raid 2. It's not all-out action, though - rather it's a character drama about a woman searching for her father's murderer who gets caught up in a government-backed assassin group that is trying to eliminate organised crime organisations. If that sounds like an odd mix of genre and tonal elements, it is - but as is often the case with Korean films, the tonal shifts are managed more deftly than they would be in Anglophone film.

An enjoyable 2 hours, but the visceral thrill of that opening action scene makes me wish it was Raid-style action all the way through.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I feel like I’m he last person on earth to see this movie, but we watched the first Harry Potter movie last night. We just got back from a spring break road trip and we listened to the book on “tape” on the trip. The movie was faithful to the source to a fault. It all felt very paint by numbers and left me flat. The kids liked both the book and the movie so we’ll reading book two next.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
So I feel like I’m he last person on earth to see this movie, but we watched the first Harry Potter movie last night. We just got back from a spring break road trip and we listened to the book on “tape” on the trip. The movie was faithful to the source to a fault. It all felt very paint by numbers and left me flat. The kids liked both the book and the movie so we’ll reading book two next.

Movie 1 and 2 are both like that. Movie 3 got a new director and with it, a new production design across the board, including a new actor playing Dumbledore. After 3, all the films follow 3's design. It is my favorite of the eight films.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Movie 1 and 2 are both like that. Movie 3 got a new director and with it, a new production design across the board, including a new actor playing Dumbledore. After 3, all the films follow 3's design. It is my favorite of the eight films.
Well I told the kids they need to read the books before seeing the movies so it will probably be a year before we get to movie 3. It’s my understanding that they get darker and more mature as they go on. My kids are only five so I don’t want to race through these books.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Thor Ragnarok
I can take or leave most Marvel films so haven't rushed to see this, especially not being too keen on the two previous Thor films. I thought this one was a blast, laughed out loud more than I do in most comedies, loved that rock dude. Up there with first Iron Man as the best Marvel movie for me. It really felt like they gave the director 'carte blanche' to do what he wanted. More like this please.

I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but for me there was waaaay too much humour.  It is the same problem I have with the first 3/4 of Last Jedi, the story plays too much like a comedy, to the point it breaks the Marvel "reality" for me.  In Guardians of the Galaxy, the humour feels more natural and genuine, while in Thor most of it felt very forced and in many places it fell flat.  I am not saying I didn't laugh out loud or wasn't entertained, because I did and was, but at the same time, on rewatch, it feels out of place and out of character in the greater Thor Marvel mythos and almost borders on becoming camp. :s

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but for me there was waaaay too much humour.  It is the same problem I have with the first 3/4 of Last Jedi, the story plays too much like a comedy, to the point it breaks the Marvel "reality" for me.  In Guardians of the Galaxy, the humour feels more natural and genuine, while in Thor most of it felt very forced and in many places it fell flat.  I am not saying I didn't laugh out loud or wasn't entertained, because I did and was, but at the same time, on rewatch, it feels out of place and out of character in the greater Thor Marvel mythos and almost borders on becoming camp. :s

I take your point, I've just watched Homecoming again and I found the humour in that a bit forced even though it fits with the Peter Parker character.  There's only about 3 movies in the MCU I think are great the rest range from good to just ok and both of the previous Thor films I just found very dull even though Chris Hemsworth is good in the role.  This one was based heavily on the style of 'Flash Gordon' which I love so it was onto a winner straight away for me.  I can appreciate fans of the Thor character being disappointed though as it does play everything for laughs, for me though it had the best humour of any of the Marvel movies, which I attribute to the directors unique approach being allowed to flourish much more than I would have expected in a franchise such as this.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kronos (1957) - Cult B-movie from the director of "The Fly". Conceptually and visually impressive for the time and budget, but poorly executed on most other fronts. The film is painfully slow, exposition being both sloppy and repetitive. It could easily be compressed to less than half it's 78 min runtime.

Top Bottom