• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Valerian and the city of a thousand planets
This reminded me of John Carter, a cgi mess with a story and characters that I just couldn't get behind. The story and its characters lacked any cohesion. I'm sure the actors are at least in their mid/late 20's, but they looked and acted like teens. I actually think I'd rather watch The Hobbit than this....

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Annihilation
hmmm I was really excited to see it but the second half was too arthouse for me. I'm not completely adverse to that approach it reminded me of 'Under the Skin' which I loved. On the plus side it still has me thinking about its themes but I can't say I liked it...

I watched this last night. I liked it, but I do have some qualms. I preferred the second half, personally.
Thought the last half hour (visually, musically and conceptually) was fantastic.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Cant argue with visuals and the sound, like I said it really reminded me of Under the Skin in the second half but whereas I thought that contrasted great with the almost kitchen sink feel in that film it just left me a bit indifferent here. I did put it on quite late so I may give the second half another watch as it was a bit of a matchstick eyelids situation by the end of the film.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My main qualms were:
 the crocodile and the duo-deer (Poor CGI animals are my pet hate), some really bad dialogue on occasion that's far too on the nose, and the inconsistent tone (which I chiefly blame the soundtrack for). The indie-film-esque acoustic music that ran through the first half of the film felt extremely out of place for what was essentially a science fiction horror. 

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2001: A Space Odyssey
Finally got around to watching this. A little underwhelmed, the story needs a lot of thought to make sense of, but the music and visuals were terrific, and the tension filled scenes were amazing. Great concept, bit of a bore, but a solid 9/10.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shape of Water
I see why this won Oscars. I loved it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
My main qualms were:
 the crocodile and the duo-deer (Poor CGI animals are my pet hate), some really bad dialogue on occasion that's far too on the nose, and the inconsistent tone (which I chiefly blame the soundtrack for). The indie-film-esque acoustic music that ran through the first half of the film felt extremely out of place for what was essentially a science fiction horror. 
You want to talk about horribly on-the-nose...

How about CSN’s Helplessly Hoping playing as Portman is painting her bedroom and her long lost husband comes up the stairs to the line, “stand by the staircase you see something certain to tell you confusion has its cost.” Ugh!

Overall, I liked it but just mildly. I didn’t find it ambiguous at all. It was pretty plainly an invasion of the body snatchers type of thing to me. I wished for more ambiguity.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beyond Skyline
Frank Grillo and two dudes from the Raid films take on 9ft and 90ft Aliens with Bazookas and a bit of Karate.

A lot more fun than Independence Day 2 and the outtakes/credits show the guys in Alien suits stumbling to see where they are going.  Whats not to like :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Theory of Everything (2014)
Much better than I expected from the trailer. As good a film about a couple struggling with a debilitating condition as you could hope for... but as a Stephen Hawking biopic it's less good. I now know about 1% more about the guy and 0% more about his theories than I did before I pressed play but I know 100% more about his wife.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Theory of Everything (2014)
Much better than I expected from the trailer. As good a film about a couple struggling with a debilitating condition as you could hope for... but as a Stephen Hawking biopic it's less good. I now know about 1% more about the guy and 0% more about his theories than I did before I pressed play but I know 100% more about his wife.

The film was sold as a biopic but based on a book by her, or about their relationship, I don't remember exactly. I studied his work a lot in school so I found the focus on the relationship quite interesting. I didn't know much about his marriage so I found the divorce genuinely surprising when I first saw it.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love, Simon

I thought this was going to be cheesy as it was clearly aimed at teens but my daughter wanted to see it. I was surprised at how good it was. Who knew the kid from Jurassic World can actually act?? The core friend group felt real, Tony Hale is throwing fastballs in a small role, and Josh Duhamel made me cry in a scene. I really never thought I would say those words next to each other.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Death of Stalin (2017)
Blackhole-dark satire from comedy-legend Armando Iannucci, about the fevered scramble for power following Stalin's death. An all-star cast led by Simon Russell Beale, who plays the chief of the secret-police with a horrifying mixture of jovial charm and total evil. I loved it but one person who watched it with me found it too dark and disturbing to really laugh at. With the sound off, you might very well think you were watching something along the lines of 'Schindler's List' rather than a comedy.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Last Dragon Slayer (2016)
Normally I don't last more than 10 minutes with made for TV movies, but this one had a quarky charm to it that kept me going. It is equal parts Harry Potter and Golden Compass in it's world that it creates, and all BBC feel. Again, I'm normally not for these presentations and characteristics, but this was well paced, confusing to the point of intriguing and well, it was free over the Roku channel so why not ;) 6.5/10

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Mute"
Wow, Duncan Jones' career has taken such a nosedive. This was boring and predictable.

"The Cloverfield Paradox"
JJ Abrams should be ashamed his name is on this piece of garbage.

"Annihilation"
I can't figure out if my cynicism is growing stronger or the movies nowadays are growing weaker. Bored to death by this.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Red Sparrow
Surprisngly old fashioned cold war spy thriller pretty much devoid of any frenetic action sequences. Jlaws accent wavered quite frequently and the second half is fairly run of the mill stuff but I was engrossed for the most part and its good to see a big movie rely on its narrative instead of set pieces for a change...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Annihilation (2018)

I applaud the try to make something different while still playing with the codes of sci-fi horror, and I think this movie is a must see for the fans of this genre (it's more "artsy sci-fi" than horror though), but, as very often these days, I felt the movie was too long for what it had to tell.  During the middle of the movie too many scenes are playing like if they are there for us to learn something new, except not really, it's always a variation of the same thing.
The performance of the cast and the music, while not bad, added to an impression of boredome.
Still a solid 7/10 from me because it's a balsy movie with some interesting visuals for this type of story.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Fly (1958) - Some truly awful acting and dialogue in this, but the horror element is surprisingly effective. I'm keen to get my editing gloves on.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I'm keen to get my editing gloves on.

489995-3.jpg

Top Bottom