• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Thor Ragnarok
I can take or leave most Marvel films so haven't rushed to see this, especially not being too keen on the two previous Thor films. I thought this one was a blast, laughed out loud more than I do in most comedies, loved that rock dude. Up there with first Iron Man as the best Marvel movie for me. It really felt like they gave the director 'carte blanche' to do what he wanted. More like this please.

Now I don't need to say anything about Thor 3 because that is my exact thought on it.

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just saw Annihilation last night and hoooooooly cow was it good. you wanna go to the movies and go on a frickin journey? go see Annihilation

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched Good Time last night. It’s a movie in the mold of the 70s genre films like Dog Day Afternoon. Pattinson does an excellent job of making me (somewhat) root for a dispicable character despite myself. Not for everyone (my wife quit halfway through), but I’d recommend it.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw the Hugh Jackman musical, The Greatest Show, the other day. Great fun, good for all ages, and some terrific tunes.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shape of Water

Loved it! totally bought into its strange (bioshock-esque) world. Brilliant performances from Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins and the wonderful Michael Shannon who is easily my favourite actor of the last decade or so. loved the horror, the fantasy, the romance, loved it all, a well deserved winner for best picture

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
10 Cloverfield Lane - Pretty decent suspense/thriller flick.
Needs to end before aliens get involved though and leave things more ambiguous. The ending generally feels like it's only there in order to link it to the Cloverfield universe. It would be better as a stand alone film.  

Bride of Frankenstein - Bit of a strange sequel... Hard to believe that it's the same director. The shift in tone didn't really work for me. 

Hearts of Darkness - Great documentary on a great film. Well worth a watch.

Mute - Duncan Jones' latest film, recently given the straight-to-Netflix treatment. Not bad, not great, but worth a watch. It certainly doesn't deserve the hate it's getting. I think people are judging it like it's trying to be the next big sci-fi movie, when really it's more of a crime-mystery in a vaguely sci-fi setting. Reminded me quite a lot of Drive.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cloverfield Paradox
This film isn't as bad as reviews would have you believe, but its best parts are admittedly borrowed from other stories (which never stopped anyone from liking Star Wars, for example). Sadly the most interesting parts to me (the Cloverfield universe stuff) were also the worst parts of the film.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
This was really weird, visually somewhere between Avatar and Fifth Element, but the story was basically several serial style episodes. I liked or loved everything, except the two leads, one of whom was channeling Matrix era Keanu Reeves.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
north by northwest

kept me enjoyably disoriented through most of the story. hitch was a master.

but the commentary track by the writer, ernest lehman, was awful—zero insight and unbelievably boring. turned it off after five minutes.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jackie (2016)

I understand it's the goal... but mourning during 1h30 is long.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw Annihilation tonight. Was mildly disappointed. Mostly because I was expecting more Blade Runner than Alien. There isn’t a ton (at least on the surface) to debate. If I were to do a fan edit, I’d 

simply cut the eyes at the end. 

Oh, and I’d also re-score the way-too-on-the-nose “Helplessly Hoping.” And I love that song!

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
‘An American Girl - The Self-destruction of Gia’ - documentary. 

My wife’s choice. Poorly edited and bland deconstruction of 80s Supermodel Gia Carangi. Interesting for the candid home videos, but otherwise just talking heads blaming everyone else for her fatal downfall. Several anecdotes were filmed in the Angelina Jolie biopic ‘Gia’. Would have been better as a bonus feature for that DVD, frankly.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor Ragnarok (2017)

I was entertained from beginning to end, I understand the success, but I'm still not convinced that I need to see the next Marvel movies in theaters until the end of times (at home video is fine with me). I guess I'm simply not the target anymore. 
But this one is real good fun.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Thor Ragnarok (2017)

I was entertained from beginning to end, I understand the success, but I'm still not convinced that I need to see the next Marvel movies in theaters until the end of times (at home video is fine with me). I guess I'm simply not the target anymore. 
But this one is real good fun.

Agree on this, all the film studios are going for expanded universe model wherever they can now. Trilogies with a clear beginning, middle and end will always be my preference, Thor Ragnorak really was an exception to most of the recent Marvel stuff for me though, in that it didnt make me groan by having to endure 10 minutes of setup for next years spin off/tie-in and it was damn great fun!

Wife choice last night for Mothers Day
Working Girl
Standard rom-com fare but the performances and star quality are a cut above the norm,Sigourney Weaver is great as the boo hiss villain. As for them 80's hairdos what were we thinking?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Train to Busan

Wow!  A real exciting and poignant zombie film with some heart and a lot of edge-of-your-seat suspense.  Without a doubt I would put it on a list of best zombie movies ever.  I only wish I could've seen it on the big screen!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, Tonya
Much better than I expected, turned out pretty great, and I wasn't even very interested ahead of time. The face replacement in the figure skating scenes is obvious to me but not to my wife.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Cheap, corny, difficult to watch. The only anime series I consider "good" is now available on Netflix as a poorly handled direct-to-video-level "movie".

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Cheap, corny, difficult to watch. The only anime series I consider "good" is now available on Netflix as a poorly handled direct-to-video-level "movie".

I turned it off after 10 minutes. What I saw didn't bode well. 

I'm surprised that that's the one anime series you think is "good". There are only a handful that I like, but Fullmetal Alchemist isn't one I particularly rate, though I found FMA: BROTHERHOOD to be inconsistently enjoyable.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Train to Busan

Wow!  A real exciting and poignant zombie film with some heart and a lot of edge-of-your-seat suspense.  Without a doubt I would put it on a list of best zombie movies ever.  I only wish I could've seen it on the big screen!

fantastic film I was in bits when 
His daughter was singing in the tunnel at the end '' :( ''

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
addiesin said:
Fullmetal Alchemist

I'm surprised that that's the one anime series you think is "good". There are only a handful that I like, but Fullmetal Alchemist isn't one I particularly rate, though I found FMA: BROTHERHOOD to be inconsistently enjoyable.

I didn't finish it either, there is no "so bad it's good" charm here. Avoid at all costs.

I do consider Brotherhood to be kinda the same series, it was years ago that I watched either and I saw them years apart so they mix in my head as just one franchise. I'm not an anime fan. I don't like the tropes, I don't understand the culture or humor, I don't like the pace of the shows usually. FMA seems different somehow. The setting and overall story are so appealing to me that I can look past some of the anime weirdness and come out happy. I also enjoy some anime films, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli's stuff, etc. but tend not to enjoy many series (though I've given many a chance). There is usually too big of a cultural disconnect for me.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
The Scribbling Man said:
addiesin said:
Fullmetal Alchemist

I didn't finish it either, there is no "so bad it's good" charm here. Avoid at all costs.

I do consider Brotherhood to be kinda the same series, it was years ago that I watched either and I saw them years apart so they mix in my head as just one franchise. I'm not an anime fan. I don't like the tropes, I don't understand the culture or humor, I don't like the pace of the shows usually. FMA seems different somehow. The setting and overall story are so appealing to me that I can look past some of the anime weirdness and come out happy. I also enjoy some anime films, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli's stuff, etc. but tend not to enjoy many series (though I've given many a chance). There is usually too big of a cultural disconnect for me.

I agree completely and would say that I'm in the same boat. What I like of anime is chiefly films, as they generally have a different tone to Japanese series.

The series that I do like and would recommend if you haven't given them a go are "Paranoia Agent", "Cowboy Bebop" and "Now and then, Here and There". 
All of them are pretty short (13-25 ep.)

Film wise I also can't recommend the films of Satoshi Kon highly enough.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Annihilation
hmmm I was really excited to see it but the second half was too arthouse for me. I'm not completely adverse to that approach it reminded me of 'Under the Skin' which I loved. On the plus side it still has me thinking about its themes but I can't say I liked it...

Top Bottom