• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I don't even like Blade Runner very much and I was still all like...boring lead actor?

b07cccde03b397686c242bc186e1ae14dd026fd6.gif

Not that Harrison Ford is a boring actor, but that he is giving one of his worst performances.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spoorgos (The Vanishing) 1988
Having watched Agent Sam Stanleys edit I thought I should give this a go as a point of reference having only seen the U.S version. Its hard to fully appreciate it knowing the outcome from the outset but its definitely darker and the bad guy here is a much more malevolent presence than Jeff Bridges was in the 93 remake. Agent Sam has done a good job with reshaping the 93 version to this..

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife and I were browsing Netflix last night and not coming up with much. Both of us love Heist movies, so we decided to give this one a chance. We weren’t optimistic given Cage’s involvement and the direct to video nature of it. But it was better than expected at least for the first two thirds. Kinda fell apart in the last act and strangely was very different in tone from the rest of the movie. 

MV5BMTA4NjE3OTk1MzdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDMwMTk1Mjgx._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
My wife and I were browsing Netflix last night and not coming up with much. Both of us love Heist movies, so we decided to give this one a chance. We weren’t optimistic given Cage’s involvement and the direct to video nature of it. But it was better than expected at least for the first two thirds. Kinda fell apart in the last act and strangely was very different in tone from the rest of the movie. 

MV5BMTA4NjE3OTk1MzdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDMwMTk1Mjgx._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Would you recommend?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I thought Trust was a pretty decent movie, its the best thing Cage has done recently which admittedly isn't a glowing endorsement

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
^I thought Trust was a pretty decent movie, its the best thing Cage has done recently which admittedly isn't a glowing endorsement

Pretty much this. Yup. It got a few genuine laughs from me too. What happened to Cage. Raising Arizona, Birdy, Wild at Heart, Adaptation... so many good movies and excellent performances.

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Sinbad said:

Pretty much this. Yup. It got a few genuine laughs from me too. What happened to Cage. Raising Arizona, Birdy, Wild at Heart, Adaptation... so many good movies and excellent performances.

I guess after National Treasure he took the Anthony Hopkins/Cirian Hinds/Malcom McDowell route and realized he had enough of a career to do whatever he wanted.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac said:
The Ritual (2017 - David Bruckner)
Some guys are going on a trip in the woods and of course some very weird stuff is happening
 BORING
Went into this with low expectations tonight, I thought it was really pretty darn good. The reveal in the last act was handled pretty well I thought. Its a mish mash of a few horror classics but definitely one of the best horrors I've seen in the last year or two.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inside  (2016 Miguel Angel Vivas)
Some years ago I made an edit of the French masterpiece  À l'intérieur (edit title Pregnant)
One of the best horror movies I saw, a real over the hill product in blood and violence
Just like Martyrs (also a masterpiece from the same level)
This remake of 2016 is very well done 
Don't expect the same bloodbath as in the original that is not gonna happen
But the way it was made it's worth to see it

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]    [/font]

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hail, Ceaser! - Ties for second place as the lowest rated Coen Brothers film on IMDB, so I expected it to be a bit "meh", but I'd actually argue that it's among thier best. Watched this with 3 other people who all thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't understand why it got such a bad wrap. 

The Happening - Re-watched with my brother for a laugh. It's very bad, but - dare I say it - not nearly as bad as I remember. There is a small percentage of competently directed scenes to be found, and the concept possibly had potential. The movie is beyond saving, but I would like to see Q2's edit, out of curiosity. 

Frankenstein (1931) - This was good. Wonderfully directed. Boris Karloff is excellent as the monster and, even though there is really only one scene that plays on him as a sympathetic character, I found myself  emotionally impacted at the end of the movie.

Donnie Brasco - Decent. The first half was a bit cliched and the music doesn't do the film any favours, but I found the second half pretty engaging. Johnny Depp's face is quite amusing to look at, but it's made easier once he shaves the moustache off.

Robocop (1987) - My second Paul Verhoeven  film. Pretty good. Not as tightly made as Starship Troopers (understandably), and the tonal shifts are pretty schizophrenic, but it's good, overblown fun. Despite having his face covered for half the movie, I found the main character pretty easy to sympathise with. The family home visit was particularly striking.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The Scribbling Man said:
The Island of Doctor Moreau (1996) - 
I was bought Lost Soul, the documentary detailing the films infamously disastrous production, for my birthday. I hadn't seen TIODM before so I watched it to gain some context. 

From the drearily mumbled narration, leading into the appallingly shot and overblown fist-fight/shark attack opening, to the hyena-man charging into a flaming building, screaming "Why, father, why?", this film is a comical, chaotic mess. It baffles me that so many defend it. One reviewer gave it a 9/10 and dared to compare it to Jurassic Park, labelling  it "paper thin". What the pickle!?

While I realize this film has problems, I like it.

that's not because of the bird people in your lab, is it, throw?

VsFfBEAl.jpg

TK251

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Annhilaiton

One of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. Great sifi movie with amazing twists, keeps you on the edge of your seat. Has some seriously intense stuff that nightmares are made of and the movie isn’t even horror. I feel bad for the 12 year old girl who was with her parents in the theater. 

10 out of 10. Masterpiece

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick thoughts on Annihilation after seeing it last night.

Pretty fucking good. Go see it. Fantastic visuals, solid acting from the entire cast, very dreadful moments that bring out your existential crisis'. It's a bit of a slow-burn, but as long as you can be entertained by good character development and gorgeous set design, go for it.

My only complaint is the sound design is lacking when it comes to voices and Foley effects. Maybe my theater was just shit. The score was aaaaaaamaaaaazing though.

8/10, gonna see it again before it leaves theaters

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'The Ritual' [2017] - Netflix

'Blair Witch project' meets 'The Descent' (with another famous cult movie from the 70s thrown in at the end). The script and acting are spot-on - being a 40-something Brit male myself, I could easily relate - and the psychological horror for the first 2/3 of the film are excellent. The gore factor gets ramped up in the last third, but at the loss of suspense or scares, I felt. Worth the free viewing.

P.S. My US wife had trouble understanding the accents, though.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
'The Ritual' [2017] - Netflix

'Blair Witch project' meets 'The Descent' (with another famous cult movie from the 70s thrown in at the end). The script and acting are spot-on - being a 40-something Brit male myself, I could easily relate - and the psychological horror for the first 2/3 of the film are excellent. The gore factor gets ramped up in the last third, but at the loss of suspense or scares, I felt. Worth the free viewing.

Mentioned in the previous page I really liked this too..

Cape Fear (1991)
This hasn't aged all that well, home invasion thrillers were very much in vogue when this came out so I assume that was the initial spark for getting this remade, it's extremely well made of course but Deniro's OTT cartoonish perfomance doesn't really do it any favours nowadays.  Juliette Lewis's performance in this though really blew me away I had forgotten how good it was.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Mentioned in the previous page I really liked this too..

I knew I'd read a review of it recently, but couldn't see it in the 'A few reviews' thread here. Stupidly didn't bother to check the actual thread I was posting in...  :blush:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Justice League
I liked Flash's 'Pet Sematary' line..

Bye!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Ritual

god, this made me want to start my own religion. :D
seriously, plot-wise it's not much more than a straight-up B mubi. the cinematography is super-solid, though.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor Ragnarok
I can take or leave most Marvel films so haven't rushed to see this, especially not being too keen on the two previous Thor films. I thought this one was a blast, laughed out loud more than I do in most comedies, loved that rock dude. Up there with first Iron Man as the best Marvel movie for me. It really felt like they gave the director 'carte blanche' to do what he wanted. More like this please.

Top Bottom