• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ooh I am really intrigued to see Dr Moreau now, I was aware of it and the original version but its one thats passed me by.  Theres something oddly fascinating about watching a film when you are aware all hell was breaking loose behind the scenes.  I have a similar fascination with Highlander 2 for the same reason and have watched it at least a dozen times even though its a bloody awful awful film. As unintentional comedy its gold however.  I doubt it will ever see the light of day but I would also love to see the canned third act from World War Z which took place in Russia, anothe film that had well documented production problems..

Blind Fury
Enjoyable action comedy with a really fun performance from Rutger Hauer as an optically challenged Samurai.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coco (2017)

It's a good Pixar movie, not the best Pixar like some people say, but there are one or two scenes that can make you cry like the opening of Pixar's UP.
The story itself is at the same time very conventional in its structure and still pretty original and surprising.
After Inside-Out Pixar shows everyone that they can still have it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
The Island of Doctor Moreau (1996) - 
I was bought Lost Soul, the documentary detailing the films infamously disastrous production, for my birthday.

Wonderful Doc. If only 10% of it were true, then Val Kilmer's bad reputation is well justified.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen Coco (wife and kids have but I can't believe people are actually saying it's the best Pixar movie ever.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I haven't seen Coco (wife and kids have but I can't believe people are actually saying it's the best Pixar movie ever.

I can’t believe that either. It’s good, but doesn’t compare with their best. My kids are in a Spanish immersion program and so all the Dia de los Muertos stuff was really exciting for them. We’re also a musical family. But even with all that, they’d forgotten about it a few days later. I’m sure we’ll buy it eventually. But it’s definitely hyperbole to put into among Pixar’s best.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haven't seen Coco yet, but it'll take a lot to beat Inside Out to the top of my list.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paddington 2: Perfect. Just perfect. I dare you to try and leave this film without a smile on your face, a warm feeling inside and a hankering for a marmalade sandwich.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Friend Request (2016 - Simon Verhoeven)
Great horror film about the suicide of a girl with demonic powers
Finally picked it up from my Blu-ray collection

My Friend Dahmer (2017 - Marc Meyers)
Very good film about serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer in his teenage years
And that is exactly what you see before he goes on a murder spree that cost the lives of 17 men/boys
So don't expect gore is this, just a great film because I saw more films about Dahmer and that was all crap

The Ritual (2017 - David Bruckner)
Some guys are going on a trip in the woods and of course some very weird stuff is happening
Oh yeah, there is also some creature at the end, I still don't know what I saw but this one was not for me. BORING

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All The Way (2016) - Dir. Jay Roach

Bryan Cranston absolutely melts into the role of Lyndon B. Johnson. His "My Fellow Southerners" speech gave me chills.
Anthony Mackie also gives a very understated performance as Doctor King.
It communicates very nicely the important events of the period at hand, not sugar coating any of it.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apocalypse Now - First time watching this. It was insane... and I loved it. Cinematography was breathtaking.
I'm interested in the details of its infamous production and so I've ordered a copy of the documentary "Hearts of Darkness" to watch.

Fun fact: H.G. Wells and Joseph Conrad were friends, but fell out after Wells accused Conrad of rehashing themes from his novella "The Island of Doctor Moreau" in "Heart of Darkness" (on which Apocalypse Now is loosely based). 

Interesting that Marlon Brando should star in 2 films in which the source materials are so closely linked, and play a part in the chaotic production of both. One went on to be considered one of the greatest films ever made (Apocolypse Now), and the other a renound flop (The Island of Dr Moreau, 1996).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Apocalypse Now - First time watching this. It was insane... and I loved it. Cinematography was breathtaking.
I'm interested in the details of its infamous production and so I've ordered a copy of the documentary "Hearts of Darkness" to watch.

Fun fact: H.G. Wells and Joseph Conrad were friends, but fell out after Wells accused Conrad of rehashing themes from his novella "The Island of Doctor Moreau" in "Heart of Darkness" (on which Apocalypse Now is loosely based). 

Interesting that Marlon Brando should star in 2 films in which the source materials are so closely linked, and play a part in the chaotic production of both. One went on to be considered one of the greatest films ever made (Apocolypse Now), and the other a renound flop (The Island of Dr Moreau, 1996).

Hearts of Darkness is fantastic. I hope you watched the original AN and not the redux. The redux is interesting but it was better for editing most of that stuff out. If Redux was the theatrical edition and the only offering I can almost guarantee there would be a fan edit on this site that would closely resemble the theatrical.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
 I hope you watched the original AN and not the redux. The redux is interesting but it was better for editing most of that stuff out. If Redux was the theatrical edition and the only offering I can almost guarantee there would be a fan edit on this site that would closely resemble the theatrical.

It was the original. I've looked at the additions for redux, and I don't think I'd like it. There is a fanedit that strikes a balance between the 2 versions, but personally, there isn't a thing I'd change having seen the theatrical.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched that Richard Stanley doc based on your recommendation the other day, fascinating stuff including the parallels between Colonel Kurtz and Dr Moreau. Need to give the actual movie a go now too :) .  Come to think of it could do with an Apocalyse Now rewatch too. I've watched the Valkyrie scene loads of times on youtube but not seen the full movie for twemty years or so. Did you spot R. Lee Ermey flying one of the Hueys?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Justice League (2017)

I think the best description of this movie is: a non-event.
Everything hinted in BvS two years ago happens... AND NOTHING MORE.
It's visualy ugly, the dialogue are atrocious, Ben Affleck's make up and wig are as much distracting as the CG removal of Kavill's moustache (Ben looked great in BvS, what happened here?), there is a Roland Emmerich's level of dumb all around and I'll stop here because the purpose of this thread is to keep things short!

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Went to my local second-hand media store and got a good haul. Mostly films I saw in theaters already, but a few I hadn't.
Then I went home and had a hugely unproductive weekend where I watched them all with my cat. I only give reviews after a second viewing, so here they are in no particular order.

Blade Runner 2049 (Theatrical/Second Viewing): A masterful visually driven narrative that unlike, its predecessor is not bogged down by awful dialogue and a boring lead actor. Every scene is taken to its maximum length without becoming tedious, while simultaneously being just short enough that you're left wanting more. It might be cliche to say, but it far surpasses the original in every possible aspect. 8.5/10

Spider-man: Homecoming (Theatrical/Second Viewing): Don't be fooled by the Marvel moniker and typical Shared-Universe fan-service; Spider-man: Homecoming is a surprising break from tradition in comic book movies. It has a real story with real consequences to the title character, as well as actors who act like they're in a real movie, as opposed to the typical "Hey! We're in a superhero movie!" performance we've all grown familiar with. 6/10

The Assassin (Theatrical/Third Viewing): To say this movie is beautiful is an understatement. Its production design is nearly unrivaled in the world of Wuxia filmmaking, with unmatched swordplay that flows more like a complex dance than a fight. If you're a fan of Wuxia, or of movies in general, I highly recommend. 9/10

Ghostbusters 1984 (Theatrical/Nth Viewing): There is nothing I can say about this classic that hasn't said in some variation before. It hits all the marks, from perfect comedic timing to timeless characters. The only downside one could find within this comedy masterpiece is the impossibility of a followup that could do it justice (Though Ghostbusters II comes frighteningly close). 7/10

As I said before, I can only 'review' a movie after a second viewing, but here are some first impressions I have from movies with only a single viewing.

Black Panther (Theatrical): A fun turn-your-brain-off film that is sure to please everyone who is looking for a good time. I've seen some people describing this film as political, but if that isn't your thing then fret not! This movie's politics fall under the very safe realm of "Be good to others/the world" that all children's movies do, so nothing to offend anyone on either end of the political spectrum.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Theatrical): To keep in line with this thread's theme of quick reviews (and to save myself the sanity of revisiting this movie), I will just say this. Do you own more than one Star Wars figurine? If yes, then you'll probably like this.

Microwave Massacre: Holy cow is this movie bad. A movie that looks to be on a shoe-string budget, with some of the worst acting I've ever seen in a cheap B-movie. I will definitely be revisiting this movie with friends and beer.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CliffordMoreau said:
Blade Runner 2049 (Theatrical/Second Viewing): A masterful visually driven narrative that unlike, its predecessor is not bogged down by awful dialogue and a boring lead actor. Every scene is taken to its maximum length without becoming tedious, while simultaneously being just short enough that you're left wanting more. It might be cliche to say, but it far surpasses the original in every possible aspect. 8.5/10

b07cccde03b397686c242bc186e1ae14dd026fd6.gif

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Punisher (2004)
I think this ones much maligned but I've always found Thomas Jane a very watchable presence in anything he pops up in. I think this has a really great cast, Travolta phones it in but its a role hes perfected over the years so  it works fine for the movie.I also like the weird surrogate family dynamic Castle develops with his fellow neighbours. Its a shame we never saw a sequel with TJ with its semi realistic setting rather than the pretty awful more comic(y) Punisher Warzone

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't even like Blade Runner very much and I was still all like...boring lead actor?

b07cccde03b397686c242bc186e1ae14dd026fd6.gif

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The Punisher (2004)
I think this ones much maligned but I've always found Thomas Jane a very watchable presence in anything he pops up in. I think this has a really great cast, Travolta phones it in but its a role hes perfected over the years so  it works fine for the movie.I also like the weird surrogate family dynamic Castle develops with his fellow neighbours. Its a shame we never saw a sequel with TJ with its semi realistic setting rather than the pretty awful more comic(y) Punisher Warzone

Lol I just finished listening to the We Hate Movies episode on this yesterday.  Suffice to say they do not share your opinion.

Top Bottom