• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Downsizing
Brilliant premise but didn't live up to the potential ultimately, I didn't mind the second half of the movie which seems to be most peoples gripe, Vietnamese T.V box girl is a delight and she saved the second half for me. The final 30 mins or so are the most problematic, a little more focus and a little less preaching would have made for a much better film.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After I saw the awful "Abbatoir" (2016) I picked up this one:
The Neighbor (2017) from director Aaron Harvey
Great movie about a neighbor played by William Fichtner who gets involved in the life of a couple next door
Especially the woman
Only weird thing is that Fichtner walks and moves like a robot in this movie 
For the rest a great movie I liked it.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sing Street
What a fab little film! Being the same age in 1985 as the main protagonists this really struck a chord (pun intended!). Great naturalistic performances from all the cast a great feel good movie I think I will revist often. Should have definitely seen this sooner.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Once
Another John Carney film! what a beautiful little film this was with a terrific soundtrack.. made on a shoestring of 150k, its like a Shane Meadows musical! Couldn't place who the mian guy was but an IMDB search revealed it was the Mick Hucknall lookalike from The Commitments.  I wasn't that struck on Carney's other work 'Begin Again' but on the evidence of this and Sing street will be giving it another go :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Once
Another John Carney film! what a beautiful little film this was with a terrific soundtrack.. made on a shoestring of 150k, its like a Shane Meadows musical! Couldn't place who the mian guy was but an IMDB search revealed it was the Mick Hucknall lookalike from The Commitments.  I wasn't that struck on Carney's other work 'Begin Again' but on the evidence of this and Sing street will be giving it another go :)
Glen Hansard is from the band The Frames. One of the best live shows I’ve ever seen.  Their album Fitzcarraldo is a favorite of mine.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Lady Bird - Wonderful acting by the entire cast. Story fairly predictable, but still enjoyable. Would watch again.

lemme guess, throw. . . you went in with avian expectations?

002170196e1c0f85e79c01.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Square (2013) - There is a 2017 film called the 'The Square' up for an Oscar, so it was probably no accident that this older film showed up in my Netflix recommendations. I'm glad Netflix tricked me because this was one of the finest Docementaries I've ever watched. A street level report from the front lines of the Egyptian revolution that both feels narratively clear and precise but also has the messy flavour of live reporting... so a masterclass in editing. Impassioned political debate and protest is occasionally punctured by shocking footage of death and torture, the latter being the result of the former in a dictatorship.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
ssj said:
lemme guess, throw. . . you went in with avian expectations?

ha! This would make a great entry for Amazon Movie Reviews:

1-star. Very misleading title. Had a few ladies, but no birds.

We used to refer to women as 'birds' over here in the 70s 80s,

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, I'm aware of that. I'm sure that was the reference in her chosen name.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Cloverfield Paradox
The international cast is far better than this third entry deserves.A half baked sci-fi mish-mash its no surprise they decided to flog it to Netflix. On this evidence they will need a stellar entry next time to justify continuing with what before this was a likeably oddball franchise.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The Cloverfield Paradox
The international cast is far better than this third entry deserves.A half baked sci-fi mish-mash its no surprise they decided to flog it to Netflix. On this evidence they will need a stellar entry next time to justify continuing with what before this was a likeably oddball franchise.

Watched today.
I agree, solid cast... terrible movie.

As a stand alone science fiction thriller it is just barely average.

As an unifying chapter/shared universe creator it is a complete  and utter failure.

The timeline makes zero sense.  It does not align with the original 2008 Cloverfield and I saw no connection to Cloverfield Lane.  It's continuity is worse than the X-Men movies  :p ha ha!

Honestly, I do not see any point to this movie other than trying to cash-in on two great movies.  So completely skip this mess, pretend it never happened and just enjoy the first two Cloverfield movies as great, but separate unconnected,  thrillers.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually liked this one better than the first. I don't think continuity is much of a concern (it's essentially an anthology series), although we do learn in this one that multi-verses are involved which could easily explain the discrepancies.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Braven (Lin Oeding)
Great action movie with Games of Thrones star Jason Momoa
Nice shot with beautiful locations and a good story too

Keep Watching  (Sean Carter)
If you like hidden cams than this one is for you
A nice horror movie but not exceptional 

The Cloverfield paradox  (Julius Onah)
PFFFFFF
I was tired when I started to watch this movie so maybe I must see this a second time but this one was not very amusing 
to me
A lot of bullshit was going on in this, and there was nothing at all that was exciting but I had a lot of fun with the first two

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought Cloverfield Paradox was meh.  Perfectly average sci-fi movie I've watched on Netflix many times before in different incarnations.  I didn't understand why it wasn't released theatrically until I watched it.

6/10

For reference I'd give the original an 8/10 and Lane a 9/10.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Island of Doctor Moreau (1996) - 
I was bought Lost Soul, the documentary detailing the films infamously disastrous production, for my birthday. I hadn't seen TIODM before so I watched it to gain some context. 

From the drearily mumbled narration, leading into the appallingly shot and overblown fist-fight/shark attack opening, to the hyena-man charging into a flaming building, screaming "Why, father, why?", this film is a comical, chaotic mess. It baffles me that so many defend it. One reviewer gave it a 9/10 and dared to compare it to Jurassic Park, labelling  it "paper thin". What the pickle!?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
The Island of Doctor Moreau (1996) - 
I was bought Lost Soul, the documentary detailing the films infamously disastrous production, for my birthday. I hadn't seen TIODM before so I watched it to gain some context. 

From the drearily mumbled narration, leading into the appallingly shot and overblown fist-fight/shark attack opening, to the hyena-man charging into a flaming building, screaming "Why, father, why?", this film is a comical, chaotic mess. It baffles me that so many defend it. One reviewer gave it a 9/10 and dared to compare it to Jurassic Park, labelling  it "paper thin". What the pickle!?

While I realize this film has problems, I like it.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
While I realize this film has problems, I like it.

I can understand people liking it - it's pretty watchable - but I can't understand people thinking it's good. It's really, really bad, and when you look at the production process, it's no wonder. Although, I think some of the best and most enjoyable moments were the scenes featuring Marlon Brando, which were completely off script and random. Some of the score is quite good as well.

I'm watching Lost Soul now. Interesting stuff. All the Brando anecdotes are gold.

Top Bottom