• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Lost Weekend - One of Billy Wilder's darker and more obscure directorial works, about an alcoholic with writers block. A sad story that is both moving and witty. Wilder gets the balance of tone just right, as he has a knack for with these films. The score is a little overly-dramatic at times and has that sort of "furly-wurly" sound you'd normally associate with sci-fi of the same era, but this is an otherwise excellent film.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Godfather - Saw this once years ago when I was a teenager and couldn't remember a thing about it. Just finished watching it now and thought it was excellent. I find it hard to watch films these days without thinking about what could be tightened/improved, and nearly every film can be in some way or another, but I felt no need when watching this. Sure, you could make a tiny trim here or there, but nothing of any merit would be achieved outside of shortening the runtime a tad. At 2 hours and 50 minutes, it's amazing how tight it feels and is a testament to how well made it is. This goes straight on my list of films that should never be fan-fixed. 

I've never seen the sequels, but I will have soon. My brother has said he'd like to see an edit of Part 2... I can't comment yet as I haven't seen it, but I know that the second Part is generally thought of as the best. Will be interesting to see how it measures up to the first one.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cut Sonny's weird punching. That's it.

I've never seen the sequels either. Isn't there an edit somewhere that makes the Godfather I&II chronological?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah.... 

Can't really be cut. It's all one take.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ehh, it's only really the last 2 punches of an already long take. I think this goes in the "Edit too minor to bother making" category.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nosferatu (1922) - I wasn't a big fan of this, though I appreciate it's significance. I enjoyed some scenes and parts of how it was shot, but overall it is extremely dated, pretty slow and, in my opinion, the score robbed the film of having any kind of tension or atmosphere. 
In fairness, I was pretty tired, and I think the music, although good, played a big part in my lack of enjoyment as I don't think it suited. I'd be interested in seeing a light trim of this with some rescoring. 

On a side note, I was certain the main character's wife was played by a man, until IMDB proved me wrong.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Journey To The Centre of The Earth (1959) - Solid little adventure flick that's aged quite well. The characters are charming, the visuals are impressive, there's a duck for comic relief and giant lizards posing as dinosaurs. The pacing is also surprisingly good for a 130 minute movie. 
It's a bit camp at times and the romance is shoehorned, but overall it's pretty entertaining.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In Bruges (2008)

Incredible feckin fillem about what it means to be a live and if there is meaning in death. Watch it or come at me wi a bottle, you buncha feckin elephants!  10/10

EDIT: this should be a more appropriate size

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Excellent review @"Zamros" . Very well written. Is this prep for seeing 3-billboards?

However, as it says in the OP, this thread is intended for "quick one or two sentence reviews" so lets try to keep somewhere near that. @"Vultural" has a thread called 'A few reviews' for longer write ups.

@"Sinbad" I've altered your thread title to make this clearer, pray I don't alter it further hope that's okay.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good point, @"TM2YC" - is what I've been doing ok? Or do you think that's a bit lengthy for this thread?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Good point, @"TM2YC" - is what I've been doing ok? Or do you think that's a bit lengthy for this thread?

As I say above, try to keep "somewhere near" a few sentences. You've been doing that.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Excellent review @"Zamros" . Very well written. Is this prep for seeing 3-billboards?

However, as it says in the OP, this thread is intended for "quick one or two sentence reviews" so lets try to keep somewhere near that. @"Vultural" has a thread called 'A few reviews' for longer write ups.

@"Sinbad" I've altered your thread title to make this clearer, pray I don't alter it further hope that's okay.

Ach, my bad.

It is prep for Three Billboards indeed. I would have seen it last week, but I wanted to relive both of McDonagh's previous films and be in a decent theatre for the watch. Which I know, Cineworld on opening Friday would not have been.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Boy (2016)
Bit of a guilty pleasure this one, was expecting a lame Chucky rip off but it did prove to have one or two surprising twists, I rate it better than most of the teen horror twaddle thats come out lately.  I wasn't much of a fan of the new IT either, expecting to see a plethora of 80's Goonies/Stranger Things/Stand By Me carbon copies in the next year or two.. :(

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rocky IIII (1985)
Love this movie one of the best movies ever well apart from the first 9/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a movie, but we’ve been watching the German series Dark on Netflix this week. We’ll finish it tonight. Very good and recommended. Though I’d certainly recommend changing to the native German with subtitles (if you don’t speak German) over the horrible dubbed English that is the default.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Not a movie, but we’ve been watching the German series Dark on Netflix this week. We’ll finish it tonight. Very good and recommended. Though I’d certainly recommend changing to the native German with subtitles (if you don’t speak German) over the horrible dubbed English that is the default.

Had a peak on IMDB and it sounds interesting. I'll add it to the list.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
The Lost Weekend - One of Billy Wilder's darker and more obscure directorial works, about an alcoholic with writers block. A sad story that is both moving and witty. Wilder gets the balance of tone just right, as he has a knack for with these films. The score is a little overly-dramatic at times and has that sort of "furly-wurly" sound you'd normally associate with sci-fi of the same era, but this is an otherwise excellent film.

Not sure I'd call that obscure, it did win the Oscar after all. Great film.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Not sure I'd call that obscure, it did win the Oscar after all.

Touché. Obscure was the wrong word really. I guess what I mean is that although it clearly did well in its day, it's not necessarily a film that jumps to mind when thinking of Billy Wilder. People familiar with him wouldn't necessarily have heard of it. "Sunset Boulevard", "The Apartment" and "Some Like it Hot" are somewhat better known. "Double Indemnity" is a classic, and, like The Lost Weekend, a film noir, but that didn't win any awards (although, it was nominated).

Great film.

Indeed!

Top Bottom