• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
^I don't disagree with any of the changes you made. Especially the Penguin's Christmas Skating Party bit.

Did you watch my version or the original?

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the original, but I plan to watch yours next Christmas.

I can't hear "Scrooge" or "Room in your Heart" again without going insane. I just can't.

Although that song you removed from the credits (the worst song in the film by far) may work nicely as something to send me to sleep. It'd fit in perfectly with all the Coldplay on that playlist.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Wolfman (1941) - Really enjoyed this. Well paced, well acted (mostly) and surprisingly engrossing for something so familiar. There are a couple of bizarre cuts and jarringly quick fades, and the main character is a bit of a creep - but pretty solid otherwise.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Disaster Artist, as a big 'fan' of The Room I'd been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Loved it makes a nice companion piece to Ed Wood and I didn't have a problem with the toning down of Wiseau's tyrannical behaviour. The film was first and foremost a light comedy so I didn't expect it to plum the depths of Tommy's psyche.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bright
I've liked a couple of things David Ayer has done but he mostly makes pretty horrible tone deaf movies. I expected to hate Bright but there was enough unintentional comedy to make it worthwhile. Seeing Orcs dressed up in basketball gear and sprouting f-words every ten seconds  certainly isnt the norm. Really dont get Ayers obssession with the 'f-word' he must have hated holding it in for Suicide Squad.  A violent mixture of Alien Nation, Blade and Lord of the Rings. All i can say is i liked it a lot more than Suicide Squad and that horrible Arnie flick he did.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dracula (1931) - An interesting watch, though a mixed experience. I'm a fan of the book, so I find it hard to watch the narrative being simplified so - though I understand that this was chiefly based on a play.
No soundtrack except for the excerpt of Swan Lake during the intro. The use of silence at times works incredibly well, but I'd be interested to hear it with some alternative scoring (B+ opportunity, maybe?). There is a score included on the blu-ray, but I wasn't keen on it after sampling a few scenes. 
Overall, really enjoying the Universal Monster Blu ray set that I recently acquired. Some great extras as well. A Spanish version of Dracula is included, which, interestingly, was filmed at the same time, by night with a completely different cast - anyone seen this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if so.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
A Spanish version of Dracula is included as well, which, interestingly, was filmed at the same time, by night with a completely different cast - anyone seen this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if so.

It's been a few months since I saw this, but I remember enjoying the Spanish version. The actor isn't as good as Bela Lugosi, but there is certainly more 'passion' in this version. Notably the actress' dresses are more revealing, for instance. I watched the two versions a week apart and, due to the way they were filmed together, they are obviously very similar. Also, I watched the Bela version with the soundtrack (I have the same set you do) and liked it. I haven't yet seen the original, mostly silent version.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Dracula (1931) - An interesting watch... Overall, really enjoying the Universal Monster Blu ray set that I recently acquired.

FYI: There are two excellent edits of Dracula on ifdb: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/fanedit-search/tag/originalmovietitle/dracula-1931/?criteria=2

One is the English version recut to be more like the Spanish version. The other is a Silent style edit mixing in Coppola's Dracula.

BTW... if I'm not mistaken, there should be an alternate Phillip Glass music track on the blu-ray if you check the audio options?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
FYI: There are two excellent edits of Dracula on ifdb: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/fanedit-search/tag/originalmovietitle/dracula-1931/?criteria=2

Thanks! I'll have a look at those. 

BTW... if I'm not mistaken, there should be an alternate Phillip Glass music track on the blu-ray if you check the audio options?

Yup. To quote myself:

The Scribbling Man said:
There is a score included on the blu-ray, but I wasn't keen on it after sampling a few scenes. 

I'll give it a proper watch with the soundtrack at somepoint though, rather than just selectively watching scenes.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone seen Anti-Matter? It showed up in our mailbox today from Netflix. I don’t remember putting it in the queue.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Foreigner

Was expecting DTV quality for this one and was really surprised how good this is, although it's directed by Martin Campbell so I should have realised it had potential.  Genuinely gripping stuff, fast paced but fleshs out all the main characters well too, works as a polictical thriller and a kick ass action film, Chan and Brosnan are excellent in it.  My kind of flick!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

As pointless remakes go, this is one of the better ones. It made me chuckle consistently and even had me doubled over myself laughing at one point.

Unfortunately it didn't have much new to offer. I just feel like I've seen this film before, and not just from Jumanji.

Decent flick. I give it a 5/10 :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Trying not to be too hyperbolic coming out the cinema but... this is probably one of the finest movies ever made :D . Deserving of any and all Awards it has won and will win. Characters so deep, rich and wonderfully surprising that it makes the one-dimensional cardboard people in 99% of other movies look like amateur hour.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Oooooh excited. I was tempted to see it instead of Jumanji, yesterday, but I opted not to. As I want to rewatch In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths beforehand. In Bruges remains one of my favourite films, and my favourite screenplay, of all time.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mummy (1931) - I quite enjoyed this. There are elements that are obviously very dated, but others that also hold up quite well. I thought that the initial introduction of The Mummy awakening was very well done and the way it was filmed created genuine tension. I also went in expecting to see a typical monster flick, so was quite surprised to find the Mummy actually having more of a character and back story as well as there being a reasonable amount of plot. That being said, there is a lot about it that dates badly, and the love interest is appallingly handled. I also found it amusing to see Edward Van Sloan reprise his role as the man who knows everything/how to solve the curse etc., after seeing him in Dracula (1931) as Van Helsing - a very similar character. I'm sure I'll be seeing him again soon, as I've noticed he also stars in the original Frankenstein (also on my list).

Not a movie, but I also started watching the second series of Dirk Gently this evening and am finding as entertaining and bizarre as the first.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the money in the world. (Ridley Scott)
I saw this yesterday in the theater
A really way too long story
The fact is there is no suspense or exciting at all in this movie 
It has some good scenes at the end but it is hard to believe that Scott is the director of this

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac said:
It has some good scenes at the end but it is hard to believe that Scott is the director of this

I wouldn't say Scott has a particularly distinctive style as such. I think he's just a guy who knows how to make movies (or at least used to) and adapts himself depending on the project. Similar with David Fincher - compare Zodiac and Seven. Both psychological thrillers with similar subject matters, both very different films. That being said, there are always elements of the auteur in every director, and I believe each leaves a mark on the films they direct, however small. 
However, you won't find as extreme a mark on a  Ridley Scott film as, say, a Terry Gilliam film.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two fanedits

Source Code v1.2
The scribbler does an excellent job of trimming the flaws from a film I really liked the original version of. Having said that the orignally ending was nonsensical and this puts that right by providing a more emotional and logical finale. All the trims throughout  tightened the movie up to make this my personal definitive version now.

La La Land (Last Impressions Edit)
Another excellent edit, with a fab own the source intro! Im not a massive fan of the original film but I do like it, I really liked the idea of removing all the song and dance routines to make it a straightforward indie flick.  The editor really managed to pull it off seamlessly cutting the song and dance routines from the film.  I wouldn't say its better than the original but its an interesting alternate experience.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another Fanedit

Adasibi's Under Construction
A fanedit of Falling Down which I have considered doing myself. Its quite a radical edit in that Duvall's character only appears at the beginning and end of the film. The entire investigation into D-Fens is ignored which I can understand to provide an alternate viewing experience. As a by product the removal of Duvall's scenes means D-FENS moves around L.A at a frenetic rate, enjoyable (if a little fast paced for me). Editing was smoothly handled as far as i could tell from a casual watch, well worth a view for the uniniated as a streamlined version of a cracking flick.

Jigsaw
Ugh...

Top Bottom