• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread intended as quick one or two sentence reviews of the last few movies you have watched. Be they old/new/fanedits etc would be cool to get an idea of forum members tastes and viewing habits etc

Watched a few this week

Good Time - Robert Pattison is great in this, it has the most gripping first act I've seen in any film this year 8/10

1922 - Always liked Thomas Jane as an actor, not a bad King adaptation but it struggled to keep me engaged towatds the end 6/10

Wheelman - modern update of Walter Hill's The Driver not bad/not great 6/10

and finally a fanedit

DSM2337's Titanic Maiden Voyage- streamlined 1912 only version of Titanic,all the cuts worked really well and one of my favourites anyway 9/10

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man of Steel (theatrical) - a complete mess. An hour of dull, unnecessary exposition, followed by an hour of overblown climax that would have Michael Bay drooling. I shudder at the thought of BvS. 4/10

The Ridiculous Menace (Frink) - bloody hilarious. I pulled a muscle in my back from laughing. 9/10

Creature From The Black Lagoon - Fun, sci-fi b-movie entertainment that unfortunately gets watered down (literally) by about half an hour's worth of footage of people swimming. Silly, but fun. Tempted to make an edit.... 5/10 (also, Jaws totally stole the soundtrack)

Terminator 3: The Coming Storm (fanedit) - Never seen the original. Wanted this to be my first experience since I'd heard good things. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't call it a good film. I'm going to watch the theatrical for comparison as I had some narrative concerns. 6/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good idea for a random review thread based on brevity.

Jackie (2016) - I just didn't believe Natalie Portman's performance, or accent. The late great John Hurt steals the movie. An interesting subject though.

Re-Animator (1985) - For a gloriously demented b-movie, this is beautifully shot and looks fantastic on blu-ray. Very Funny.

Valentino (1977) - Ken Russell's unique mix of eye-popping visual design and wall-to-wall nudity. Perfect for silent Cinema fans.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love Re-animator, ashamed to say I had never seen it until about 3 years ago.. I am now a big Stuart Gordon fan love nearly all his movies

another recent watch

Creep 2 (2017) Found footage/reality show type horror / black comedy with the excellent Mark Duplass. On a par with its predecessor 7/10

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Circle - Terrific first half that raised some great questions, then decided to ignore them all for a budget conscious second half that sold out.

Wonder Woman - Enjoyed this at the cinema but was a little underwhelmed on the rewatch.

GOTG2 - Enjoyed this at the cinema, and enjoyed it all the more at home. I love the characters, so any narrative flaws are easily forgiven.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Sea of Trees
I don't know why this movie was hammered so hard by so many.Yes it's very ambiguous, but the mystical nature of it and the beauty of the photography are just a few of the many things I loved about it. This felt like a Nolan movie without the bravado of a Zimmer score or action sequences. It is a pure emotional interaction and analysis of grief and redemption. I thought it was a perfect movie. Great performances by McConaughey and Watanabe.
*I would recommend going in blind if you are going to see this. I just watched a trailer for it and the trailer pretty much highlights all the plot points which would make this movie feel like it was dragging on had I watched the trailer first.

Sarah's Key
A haunting movie about the Vel' d'Hiv Roundup in 1942. This movie is a riveting and terrifying reminder of the atrocities we are capable of doing to each other and how it robs the innocence of youth and reverberates into our present day lives. Very much in the same vein as The Boy with Striped Pajamas. Again, I would recommend not watching a trailer before going into this one.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Atomic Blonde - the 80s soundtrack had more entertainment value than the actual movie, fair enough time passer 6/10

Leatherface - liked it more than i thought i would, its no worse than the 2003 remake 6/10

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matt Damon double bill...

Downsizing - saw it a month ago, but still memorable. Terrific minimalist (hehe) story, something a bit different to the norm.

The Great Wall - didn't get half way through before turning off because of boredom. Could have been the alcohol, but I swear it made no sense, occiffer.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Split - Pretty enjoyable considering Shamalan's films over the last ten years have been bad. Also loved that it tied into Unbreakable, one of my all time favorite films.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Monster (2016):
A good little indy survival/horror movie that is in fact more a character driven story between an immature mother and her daughter.
Good acting and visual style but would have been better with a bear as a threat rather than a true monster (good design, but still a man inside a suit..).

The seven Year itch (1955):
I always love Marilyn Monroe and the beginning is a good starting point, but the movie is playing the same jokes all along and I felt the story never really started.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The seven Year itch (1955):
I always love Marilyn Monroe and the beginning is a good starting point, but the movie is playing the same jokes all along and I felt the story never really started.

Been a while since I've seen that one. I'm generally a fan of many of the Billy Wilder films I've seen. Seven Year Itch I remember enjoying, but not considering it particularly as one of his best, despite it being fairly famous. Same with Some Like It Hot.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hacksaw Ridge

Unrealistic, overblown and overacted - but enjoyable, well made and inspiring all the same. 

Apart from some slightly overlong battle scenes, nearly every scene serves a purpose, whether it's developing a character or moving the story forward. You don't get many movies this well constructed any more.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hacksaw Ridge really had an old school filmaking sensibility to it, I love Mel Gibson's directorial efforts, especially Apocalypto as a rollercoaster ride I honestly think its up there with Terminator and Die Hard. 

Geostorm - zero expectations, bad acting, ludicrous plot, half baked special effects, But.. i had fun watching it and wasn't bored. That has to count for something surely...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Hacksaw Ridge really had an old school filmaking sensibility to it, I love Mel Gibson's directorial efforts, especially Apocalypto as a rollercoaster ride I honestly think its up there with Terminator and Die Hard. 

Geostorm - zero expectations, bad acting, ludicrous plot, half baked special effects, But.. i had fun watching it and wasn't bored. That has to count for something surely...

I think Braveheart might be the only other Mel Gibson movie I've seen.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I highly recommend Apocalypto its a brilliant piece of film making...

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Juniquex said:
The Ridiculous Menace (Frink) - bloody hilarious. I pulled a muscle in my back from laughing. 9/10

Just noticed this...thank you, and thank you also for the IFDb review.  Hope you enjoy the sequel. :)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Logan Lucky
Not a bad watch doesn't break any new ground in the heist genre but entertaining enough for most of its runtime.

Santa Claus The Movie (1985)
One to keep the kids happy, remembered it being better than actually is, John Lithgow has the only noteworthy role in it. 

Blue Thunder (1983)
A rewatch for a potential edit, this was the greatest movie ever when I was a kid, a lot of it holds up well today and the aerial action scenes in Downtown L.A still impress..

Top Bottom