If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)
(11-09-2019, 05:14 PM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: Yeah, most every Bond movie riddled with ridiculousness. That's why Datlon's Bond was always my preferred Bond as his movies seemed to be more straightforward spy/action flicks. Craig's Bond is similar in that respect and I appreciate that his era is at least connected with a story line that weaves throughout them, albeit loosely. Golden Eye was a pretty fantastic Bond movie, but I'm not really impressed with Brosnan's other outings as the sex-crazed slightly inept British spy. I'm more of an Ethan Hunt fan myself.

Anyway,

The Lion King (2019)
The Circle of Life opener was pretty spectacular looking although I did prefer the original singer. The key to the success for this film was going to have to be the distraction factor. The opener passed the test. This however was not the case for the rest of the film. Most of the dialogue delivery felt very tired, lifeless or B-roll-ish. It's hard to tell if I'm just incredibly biased based on my absolute love of the original, but many seem to have a similar reaction. I'm not a fan of the new iterations of Timon and Pumba and consider their characters the weakest of the entire movie. Rogan's Pumba is tolerable, but the guy who did Timon was just awful in his line delivery imho. Most of the changes in the movie are around Timon and Pumba and their jungle paradise which were slightly distracting as they don't expand on the added characters which make them feel kind of gimmicky. My last gripe is about the look of the talking animals. It works perfectly in a cartoon, but this just looks like space buddies, or those other animal talking kid shows. Yes, I know that this is an animal talking kid show, but I had hoped they would possibly make the voices less.....human? I don't know, just more animal like. Honestly, I'd have taken the movie without any dialogue or without the animals moving their mouths to form words. Ugh, the Spirit song addition as well as the Be Our Guest scene just felt bad. I really tried to go into this one with an open mind (I can't stand the other "live action" completely cgi Disney renditions) and it fared about as I expected it would. 5.5/10

I've heard that Dalton's Bond was the closest to the Bond of the novels.  Apparently, that's not what audiences wanted, though.  Or maybe it wasn't hardcore enough.

I couldn't bring myself to see the remake of TLK.  It's my favorite Disney film, and I just kept thinking "Why?  Why?"  A friend of mine loved Rogen as Puumba and said it was the role he was born to play, but I'm not sold.
Best review I read for this movie said "This film does not justify its existence."
Webmaster for www.nottheacademy.com, Movie Articles, Lists, and Reviews...Come join us!
[+] 2 users Like mnkykungfu's post
A pretty good story packaged in a bright colorful cgi package. Years later I don't see why people loved this movie but hated John Carter. Yes the acting was better in Avatar, the cast was better in Avatar and the lead was at least likable, but the story is pretty much on par, imho. It will be interesting to see what the next Avatar movies do to a story that perhaps should be left as is. 7/10
I haven't seen Avatar and likely won't. Absolutely nothing about it ever sparked my curiosity even the slightest bit.
"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be."

Bhagavad Gita 2:12
(11-14-2019, 05:13 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: Avatar (2009)
A pretty good story packaged in a bright colorful cgi package. Years later I don't see why people loved this movie but hated John Carter. Yes the acting was better in Avatar, the cast was better in Avatar and the lead was at least likable, but the story is pretty much on par, imho. It will be interesting to see what the next Avatar movies do to a story that perhaps should be left as is. 7/10

Well, all blue alien movies are not created equal.  Wink

Actually, I think there's probably a long conversation to be had about this re: promotion.  Avatar was destination cinema.  It became a cultural touchstone, and was just a snowball rolling downhill.  Very hard to duplicate that kind of phenomenon, which I suspect the sequels will find out.
Webmaster for www.nottheacademy.com, Movie Articles, Lists, and Reviews...Come join us!
[Image: MV5BMGQyYzM3YmMtMmRkMi00ZTUxLTk0MzUtMWEx...00_AL_.jpg]

Heaven’s War aka Beyond the Darkness is without a doubt the worst movie I’ve ever seen.
“HUMANS OF THE PLANET EARTH
WHILE YOU SLEPT, THE WORLD CHANGED”
[+] 1 user Likes suspiciouscoffee's post
Has anyone seen High Life? I don’t know if I’m missing something in the search function but searching for “high life” doesn’t help. I’m not sure what to say about this movie. It’s difficult to describe and it’s almost dreamlike time watch. I hesitate to describe any of the plot as the way things are revealed contribute to the dreamlike feeling.
Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes (2018)
The Jazz in this Blue Note label retrospective is of course brilliant, the old recordings and new studio time with Robert Glasper and co but the best bit for me was the artwork and photos. They found the original unedited cover stills, so they were able to seamlessly compare them to the iconic finished pieces, cut in time with the music. It doesn't even matter that actual video of the performers is rare, the photo montages are so well combined with the studio chatter that it feels like you are watching the musicians work.

[+] 2 users Like TM2YC's post
I just watched The Claire Wizard Thesis.
I have no intention of ever watching The Blair Witch Project, I know the basic gist, I'm not interested. But I thought a parody could be funny. And it was!
It was about an amateur director thinking he could make the same movie and have it be just as successful. It's about the making of a Blair Witch esque movie rather than showing the film itself, as the director's brothers films behind the scenes. It's a comedy mockumentary with no attempt at horror or a horror asthetic.
I genuinely laughed at many points, and I think it was well made. Way better and different than I was expecting. It's not perfect, but I'd definitely watch it again.
Mega Man is best game. 
(11-16-2019, 10:07 PM)suspiciouscoffee Wrote: [Image: MV5BMGQyYzM3YmMtMmRkMi00ZTUxLTk0MzUtMWEx...00_AL_.jpg]

Heaven’s War aka Beyond the Darkness is without a doubt the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

I can't believe anyone could make a worse film than Coleman Francis. I won't believe it.
"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be."

Bhagavad Gita 2:12
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
I got this one for $1 the other day and gave it a chance due to Asa Butterfield starring in it. This is basically Tim Burton's interpretation of X-Men. The story isn't anything to write home about and the peculiar children are basically caricatures of marvel's mutants. When the story finally starts to come together it's very broadcasted. There's a cracked out homage to Ray Harryhausen with a certain effect near the climax, but the music during this scene is just plain...Burton-ish. If you like Tm Burton and the idea of mutants mixed with a Harry Potter vibe you'll probably like this movie. Asa couldn't save this one for me. I'm hoping he gets a chance to expand his acting and move beyond the insecure boy turned not quite believable hero type-cast. 5/10
[+] 1 user Likes DigModiFicaTion's post