• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Titanic: The Maiden Voyage

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Titanic. It remains one of my favourite films, even though certain aspects of it have taken some shine off in the intervening years.

This edit has been created to remove the things that now bother me, and give me something I can rewatch without occasionally cringing. The edit removes the bookends of the treasure hunt. This is about Titanic, Rose, and Jack, so all ‘present day’ scenes are cut. And also to make the ‘Jack - Rose’ drinking game a little less painful.

The concept is not new. An edit was created in 2007 called Ship Of Dreams that stayed in 1912. I haven't seen it, but considering I have also added back some deleted content to aid the storytelling and my running time is 20 minutes over SteveJo86's cut this will be a different experience. And it is in HD.

These are the detailed changes I have made, with some info on how and why in some cases. It also includes a video clip of the altered ending - thoughts and suggestions welcome, but please use spoiler tags.

So we start on Titanic, 1912, everything previous is cut.

New titles added.

Rose’s entrance to Titanic, trimmed and VO removed.

Deleted scene added - Rose and her maid talking about the ship being new. This was added to show she is not happy in the engagement, previously we relied on VO to tell us. Audio of Cal interrupting them was bad, so audio trimmed to remove the worst of it.

Fade from that scene to Titanic at sea. Arrival of Molly Brown removed as it is mostly VO.

Jack and Fabrizio at prow of boat trimmed to remove excessive ‘woohoo’ing.

Rose at dinner audio altered to remove VO saying how trapped she was.

Deleted scene added - Rose having a meltdown in her stateroom. This is again to emphasise what has been removed from the VO.

Ruth meeting Jack for first time trimmed and audio reworked to remove VO.

Jack being introduced in the dinning room trimmed to remove VO.

Deleted scene added - Singing Josephine and discussing how insignificant the ‘powerful men’ on Titanic are compared to the stars. Nice scene that has some nice foreshadowing of the fallibility of man.

Jack and Rose in the gym. Trimmed and slightly reworked to minimise repetition and names. 

Transition from Jack and Rose kissing on prow of Titanic to the stateroom where Rose wants to be drawn. This removes ‘present day’ interlude.

Transition from Rose being drawn to Jack signing the drawing. Again, to remove ‘present day’ interlude.

Jack’s ‘arrest’ trimmed to remove repetition and names.

Rose’s finding and rescue of Jack trimmed and audio reworked to remove repetitive name calling and Jack being too bossy. Also removed ‘how did you know?’ moment, because it was corny.

Trimmed the axe taking off the handcuffs, removing another name call.

Audio edit as Jack and Rose emerge on deck, removing a ‘come on Rose’.

Trimmed Rose jumping back onto Titanic to remove more Name shouting.

Trimmed Jack and Rose reuniting to remove the condescending ‘you’re so stupid, Rose’.

Audio edit as Jack and Rose run from gunfire to remove another ‘Come on, Rose’.

And again as they leave the dining room.

Audio edits to remove name calling as they’re swept up in water.

The gate scene slightly trimmed and rejigged to give Rose more active role.

Deleted scene added - Cora’s fate. We opened on Cora and even though this scene is hard to watch it felt right, and powerful, to see what became of her.

Audio edit to remove another Jack urging Rose on moment as they climb up Titanic.

Trimmed panic in water to remove more name shouting and Jack urging Rose to keep swimming.

Audio edit to remove ‘Jack’ as she gets on door.

Deleted scene added - man suggests trying to get on the door. Added this to demonstrate that Jack felt there truly was no room on the door without risking Rose’s life - to counter the ‘he gave up too easily’ argument.

New ending (see video).
- Flashcards and extra footage from Carpathia deleted scenes used to show what happened to everyone. This is to replace VO, and have enough flashcards to feel like something deliberate.
- All audio replaced with music except Rose giving Dawson as her name which is isolated with rain sound effect added.
- Deleted scenes colour graded to more closely match the original shots. 
- The final afterlife scene is removed, it felt superfluous in this cut.

Credits altered to remove actors that are no longer present and add fan editor credit.

Password is fanedit.org

Running time 170 minutes. I'll be releasing on MP4 initially, 5.1 sound.

I'd like to see this, while Titanic does have its hokey moments it stands alone really, no other film in recent years has managed to pull off the classic Hollywood epic like this did (Great Gatsby I'm looking at you).  A version that cuts some of its more wince inducing moments sounds like a great idea!

watching this now... enjoying it so far..
[update]
Great edit! The wife prefers it to the orignal version! although I'm a sucker for schmaltzy endings like in the original. Will PM you mate with what we thought in detail..

Bluray cover art. Suggestions welcome. And yes, I know my edit name is innocuous, but I like it like that.
Titanic_BR.jpg

Nice job on the artwork is this all  at approval stage now?

Sinbad said:
Nice job on the artwork is this all  at approval stage now?

I don't think certified editors need the approval stage. But, iFDB is updated every Monday, for everyone.

Yeah I did wonder about that, thats what I thought but I'm sure I noticed one or two members showing as Faneditors who had edits pending approval. May have dreamt it lol

Almost done. Need to finish up the artwork, hence running this by the board to see if anyone sees anything objectionable.

Will be doing a final render this week, so hope to have it listed by Monday. It will be digital only for now, still having some issues around testing of BR and DVD.

There are quite a few artifacts around the lettering, at least to my eyes. Perhaps a by product of a compressed image or enlarging images? The text looks fuzzy to me as the yellow on blue theme is hard on my eyes.

Click to see full res version. Hopefully answered a few concerns with clarity. Thoughts welcome.

Here's a zoomed in shot with the pixelation I was talking about. Are you using he highest resolution for each image you can?
5vMsPwdl.png

That's not what I see when I zoom into the main image that you click through to. It isn't an image, it is a font on a blank canvas of blue, so I think that pixelation is down to the image resizing of the browser.

Not sure how to demonstrate that without more resizing issues.

We'll, the image you shared has the pixelation. Do you have the original image file that you could share?

I'm guessing the host of the image is compressing the image further to save space so that's what may be causing the pixelation.

^this. Saw the original image and it looks great :)

Q2 said:
I'm guessing the host of the image is compressing the image further to save space so that's what may be causing the pixelation.

Correct. Here's the original image without pixelation 

oaQAgfe.jpg

Terrific. Thanks all. Bob, if you don't mind can you send me a PM outlining how you got this clear image displayed? I tried various options, but must have missed one.

That one that Bobson posted has pixelation. I had to download your original file from your link you shared to see it at the full uncompressed resolution.

Bob seems to have downloaded the picture then reuploaded it to imgur. Also, I don't see any pixelation from his if I open in new tab.

To get way on topic, pretty awesome cover, @"DSM2337"!

I do like it a lot. Might make a fake Criterion one in the future for this edit. ;)

theryaney said:
To get way on topic, pretty awesome cover, @"DSM2337"!
Thank you, seeing what you've created in the past that means a lot.
I do like it a lot. Might make a fake Criterion one in the future for this edit. ;)
That would be great. Titanic deserves a Criterion release at least, not for me to say about the edit :)

Back
Top Bottom