• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Center audio channel for movies

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, this is a forum for “Audio Editing”. This is Motley, and I’m here to ask about a certain channel.

I went on the Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope forum, and when I looked up my comment, I found a reply reading that the center channel of the film’s audio has almost no music.

I’m trying to get the gist of that reply. Any help?

Not sure I understand the question, so forgive me if I'm about to ask something super obvious...do you know what 5.1 audio is?

TVs Frink said:
Not sure I understand the question, so forgive me if I'm about to ask something super obvious...do you know what 5.1 audio is?

Yes I know what 5.1 is, it’s SURROUND SOUND!! XD

Well then what is your question?

TVs Frink said:
Well then what is your question?

What does it mean when a center audio channel contains almost no music?

If you go back to the MoS forum and look for the comment saying “the center channel contains almost no music”, you’ll get the gist of what I’m talking about.

In practical terms, it means the dialogue and sound effects would possibly be able to be retained even if you decided to rescore the film. If there is music in the center track, rescoring is nearly impossible. Theoretically you could also rearrange or cut parts of a scene easier as well, since the music doesn't have to be cut around.

addesin answered your question but I just wanted to mention something else.

[quote="Motley']
If you go back to the MoS forum and look for the comment saying “the center channel contains almost no music”, you’ll get the gist of what I’m talking about.
[/quote]

You're better off either explaining or copy/pasting the comment...asking us to go to another forum to read something won't get you very far.

addiesin said:
In practical terms, it means the dialogue and sound effects would possibly be able to be retained even if you decided to rescore the film. If there is music in the center track, rescoring is nearly impossible. Theoretically you could also rearrange or cut parts of a scene easier as well, since the music doesn't have to be cut around.

So, how exactly do you access the center channel if you’re doing a fan edit?

TVs Frink said:
You're better off either explaining or copy/pasting the comment...asking us to go to another forum to read something won't get you very far.

Okay then, here’s the comment from TM2YC:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]MOS has almost no music in the center audio channel.[/font]

There are several guides here that can help (it depends on your source audio) but in general terms you rip the file, extract the audio, and separate into discrete channels.  Then you can work with the center channel without touching the other channels.

TVs Frink said:
There are several guides here that can help (it depends on your source audio) but in general terms you rip the file, extract the audio, and separate into discrete channels.  Then you can work with the center channel without touching the other channels.

Why, thanks for simplifying it for me, Frink. There’s this program called DVD Audio Extractor, that Christopher Sandobaru uses. I’ll be sure to test it out and see if I get any luck.

I use BeSweet (with the BeLight GUI).

TVs Frink said:
I use BeSweet (with the BeLight GUI).

Well, good luck with that.

Um, off-topic, have you seen my thread for Batman Forever? I’m trying to decide whether I should use Danny Elfman’s score or Hans Zimmer’s score.

What do you think?

I think you should post that question in your thread, not this one.

1hvyzl.jpg

This thread is a good place to have "center-channel" discussions. It has a list of films in the OP and a brief explanation of the term.

Back
Top Bottom