• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Why Does It Take So Long?

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a suggestion, what about making public the list of first-time edits awaiting approval?  And, along with that, extending an invite to more editors to watch and approve them?

I'm not sure what internal measures are in place to make sure each person who approves an edit is properly vetted, but maybe that could be laxed at a bit?  Just a suggestion.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
what about making public the list of first-time edits awaiting approval?

That's a good idea, we'll discuss how best to go about that. Thanks. It wouldn't speed up the process but it would make the process more transparent. Plus members could see what edits are available as "workprints". Feedback from members can really help the Academy to know what things on the list are near perfect and what is far from perfect.

beezo said:
extending an invite to more editors to watch and approve them?

We give a lot of thought to who we invite and not everyone says yes. They need to not only have a proven record of making competent edits but also a proven record of being a helpful and respectful forum member. Giving "constructive criticism" on the beloved projects of total strangers in a manor that will be taken the right way can be a hard thing to do. Lastly you need to be prepared to possibly watch the same edit two or three times (until it's right) and write a list of problems and solutions, taking a lot of your personal time.

However, you don't need to preview hundreds of edits. A volunteer previewing just two, or three (or even one) edit a year would help speed things along.

If anybody would like to volunteer for the Academy then kindly make a post in this thread and we'll consider it because maybe there are people we haven't thought of? (How about you beezo? ;) ). Any volunteer needs to be an approved faneditor as a minimum.

beezo said:
I'm not sure what internal measures are in place to make sure each person who approves an edit is properly vetted, but maybe that could be laxed at a bit?  Just a suggestion.

As above, there are good reasons why we are careful about who we have on the Academy team but there are no hard and fast criteria that I'm aware of. The admin team simply discuss who we think is a good fit from time to time.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah the only way we could lax our criteria would be to reconsider those we've rejected in the past and I don't think that's a good idea, since we had good reasons to reject them in the first place.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One thing that people have complained about I think is of the response time to the PM to (no offense) Mr. Cobb. It could take well more than a week some times. Of course, I perfectly understand why as he has told other members and the above reasons from MCP, but would there be any way to quicken that process? How about two people for that job perhaps? Of course there are some downsides in it would confuse some people but it is a possibility.

Edit: Well now I realize there is TM2YC but... yeah. Another person maybe?

I don't know, but looking at the pending approval forum there are a lot of edits so let's hope we can add grease to help this gear move smoother.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
beezo said:
If anybody would like to volunteer for the Academy then kindly make a post in this thread and we'll consider it because maybe there are people we haven't thought of? (How about you beezo? ;) ). Any volunteer needs to be an approved faneditor as a minimum.

Yeah.  I'd definitely help out.  Two or three a year seems reasonable.  Maybe, as a measure for control, each first-timer edit gets scrubbed up by guys like me and then passed along for a final approval by the current gatekeepers?  That would at least, in theory, save them the time of having to watch the edit multiple times and go back and forth with the editor.  That part could be "outsourced", so to speak.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey, beezo. if you've done the hard work of helping a new editor fix his/her work, then there'll likely be no need for a second layer of approval/guidance. the rest of us would trust your judgment.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The workprint list would be an essential asset. It's still up to the people submitting the edits to make them availible when we come around asking for them, but I think it would encourage them to stick around until their edit is approved if more people are there to give him or her feedback on it. Not a lot of editors who have had their work pending approval have remained active on the site. I saw one BVS edit get approved lately but the editor had long gone, and might not even be aware it's been approved and thus can't write up an IFDB entry.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I sent a message to @"DominicCobb" asking about what the criteria is to become an Academy member, but since we are invited to volunteer to be considered, I'd like to throw my hat in.  

With all of the edits that come in and so many hours in the day, I would love to help out with previewing and helping guide some of the newer editors towards a successful submission and release.  

Anything I can do to help out with the community, please let me know!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great idea for a thread, glad this has stirred up some conversations. The edit approval system is unfortunately not very efficient, but the steps/events that led to it were understandable, and it's far better than no system at all, and definitely better than anything I could come up with personally overnight. 

But little by little, it can be improved greatly imo, just by merit of having more participation in the process. And this thread seems to have brought the issue to the attention of the right people. There are two volunteers already, and I'd vouch for both of them. Beezo and Musiced have both been helpful contributors and proven editors for a while now.

Tldr; this thread warms my cold heart.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Great idea for a thread, glad this has stirred up some conversations. The edit approval system is unfortunately not very efficient, but the steps/events that led to it were understandable, and it's far better than no system at all, and definitely better than anything I could come up with personally overnight. 

But little by little, it can be improved greatly imo, just by merit of having more participation in the process. And this thread seems to have brought the issue to the attention of the right people. There are two volunteers already, and I'd vouch for both of them. Beezo and Musiced have both been helpful contributors and proven editors for a while now.

Tldr; this thread warms my cold heart.

The staff agrees with you on all counts.

@"beezo" and @"musiced921" you have new user titles and new permissions.  Someone less lazy than me will be sending you a PM with more details.

We're also planning to publish the active list of pending edits shortly.  Thank you everyone for your suggestions, and definitely keep them coming.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds like a great improvment over what we had before!

Where is this list going to go exactly?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most likely in the Pending Approval subforum.  We'll let you know here when it's posted.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can imagine one of the rooms in Hell devoted to cinema types being forced to watch edit after edit after edit after edit of the Star Wars franchise.
In perpetuity.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
One thing that people have complained about I think is of the response time to the PM to (no offense) Mr. Cobb. It could take well more than a week some times. Of course, I perfectly understand why as he has told other members and the above reasons from MCP, but would there be any way to quicken that process? How about two people for that job perhaps? Of course there are some downsides in it would confuse some people but it is a possibility.

None taken, as it is certainly an accurate assessment. While I try to visit the forums daily (something that doesn't always work out, like me seeing this thread two days later), I am not always able to respond to PMs right away, as they are usually much more involved and typically require quite a bit of time to talk about and explain whatever needs explaining and talking about. 

I've been a lot more busy in recent months than I was in the past when I was more active here. That's mainly for personal reasons with my life being crazy (moving multiple times + hopping between way too many jobs). My goal is to reach some normalcy soon where I can better organize and prioritize my time. Anyway, those are my excuses. At the end of the day, it really is on me, and I feel bad for the new editors here and how much patience it takes to become an approved fan editor.

Part of that is due to the small academy team, and I have to say it really makes me happy to see people stepping up and volunteering. If other people are interested, let us know (I'll try to not take forever to get back).

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Anyway, those are my excuses. At the end of the day, it really is on me, and I feel bad for the new editors here and how much patience it takes to become an approved fan editor.

I completely understand and hope others will too.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^feel free to abbreviate quotes friend  ;)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its wonderful that the Academy Members are discussing this topic and i admit it is a labourious process waiting for approval but i would rather wait and be given criticism or approval by the great faneditors on this site then just put my edits out in the ether- What hopefully will make me a better editor and what pushes me to do my best work is knowing how tough it is to be approved. I have been on the boards for many years and at first i did not have any knowledge on how to edit whatsoever - i was just fascinated that a movie could be changed , adapted , remixed i was fascinated by it and it gave me the bug - watching Q2's edits, Stankpac's Revenge of the Sith , Beezo's -  Oblivion edit - TM2YC's numerous edits - Star Trek , THX 1138 and Love and Mercy edit to name but a few , Plissken 1188 Hateful eight edit and going back to Sharksploitation and NJVC's Pulp Empire , Crystal Skull and WTWTA edits. I want to be approved by people that know what they are doing. I saved for that 16GB of Ram and the best video card i could find - i studied hours of you tube - read through the forums on how to rip bluray - i want to match the quality of edits on this site...i can wait.
 Im a busy man too - i have 3 daughters , i worked 60 hours last week so i fully understand. You guys do a top job - so im just glad you exist at all. It is my fault that i submitted a three hour long edit for my first time approval LOL.

I would be quite willing to pay a subscription of some sort.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More than anything, I wanted to chime in and add my +1 to the general support for and appreciation of everyone in the Academy who helps keep things going around here. As a viewer, the commitment to quality means that I know I won't have to worry about sub-standard or inexperienced editing in those edits that are approved, and as a faneditor the support, guidance and feedback I've received from members of the community here has been fantastic.

Top Bottom