• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who-Rose: Eight To Nine Edit

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inspired by the conversations that went on in this thread, I decided to have some fun with the first episode of the 2005 revival, very minimal edit, just a simple case of adding "Night of the Doctor" as the opening act to make it appear that Mcgann has transitioned to Eccelston, oh, and I altered the ending ever so slightly so Rose does not depart with The Doctor at the end so it feels more like a stand-alone

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently working on a second draft of this as I found a particular audio transition tricky

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! I haven't seen this yet but I look forward to it. ☺

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've corrected the issue that was pestering me. I'm in the midst of uploading it now.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated now with revised version

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pretty cool! I just watched the parts at the beginning and the end since you said there no changes in the middle.

I think the "Night of the Doctor" sequence would work even better if you put it before the opening credits. That would make it feel more like a prologue and help explain why we never see these actors again. Also, with the title being "Rose," it makes more sense to immediately go to her after that.

Also, after Paul McGann says "I'm a Doctor," the scene abruptly cuts back to the outside of the ship, then back in again. I realize this is because it's after the original credits, and you have to keep the dialogue, so I'm not sure if anything can be done. But since I did notice it, I felt obligated to point it out.

The ending stuff looks fine. The nice thing is that it was already written in such a way that it could have been a one-off after all! And your editing of it was smooth and flawless.

Keep up the good work!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for you comments @"TomH1138"  :)

Yeah, keeping in the "I'm a Doctor" bit is all I could manage with that, as the music kicks in just as he finishes with "...but probably not the one you're expecting", maybe I'll take your thoughts about placing that bit before the credits so I can retain that, but it would still mean some of "Night of the Doctor" would come after the titles too if I did that.

I don't think cutting back to the outside of the ship is much of a deal-breaker anyway, it establishes that it's still in dire straights.

Glad you enjoyed what I did. Your input's always appreciated.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay!

Just to be clear, I was talking about putting the entirety of "Night of the Doctor" before the credits. The thing with the quick cut to the ship outside -- that was a separate issue, even though chronologically those moments were quite near to each other. 

If you don't want to put all of it before the credits, then probably just leave it as is. Since we've now confirmed that there's no way to cut around the quick shot of the ship outside, then putting just the part up to "I'm the Doctor" doesn't accomplish that much. (It works fine in the original webisode, but as an overall structure for "Rose," it doesn't accomplish enough to make it worth doing, IMO.)

Anyway, that's just more of my opinion -- no more, no less. Ignore whatever parts you feel like ignoring.  :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your input's always appreciated, and a cardinal sin of faneditors is to ignore anything. I always try out suggestions. I'll see if I can put together something...I may take inspiration yet again from Whoflix for what I'd like to try. We'll see.

Stay tuned :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit on ifdb. Thread moved.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure what the video in the OP is meant to be, but I'm getting a "This video does not exist." error.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I'm not sure what the video in the OP is meant to be, but I'm getting a "This video does not exist." error.

It was the full edit (with download option removed), but my original vimeo channel was terminated a short while ago so the video was purged.

Billy Batson

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius, I really enjoyed this edit, but the file I downloaded plays in a 1.33 aspect ratio. The file properties say the ratio should be 1.77, but that's not how it's being displayed on my monitor or my Apple TV. Is this an issue with your original file?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Billy Batson said:
Zarius, I really enjoyed this edit, but the file I downloaded plays in a 1.33 aspect ratio. The file properties say the ratio should be 1.77, but that's not how it's being displayed on my monitor or my Apple TV. Is this an issue with your original file?

Oh erm, not sure, It might have been because I ripped some of the resource files in 16.9 and converted  them to 4/3 to match the then existing format of "Rose" as was originally transmitted.

Billy Batson

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. The episode plays on Amazon Prime as 16x9, and appears to cover the same image area  as your 4x3. I used wide screen mode on my TV to watch your file, and the stretched out video looked nearly the same as the 16x9 on Amazon, as opposed to the more narrow image in 4x3. 

In any event, I like your editing choices. The tie in with the 8th Doctor was inspired, and I liked the idea of making “Rose” a stand-alone film. Good job.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really need to check my edits on tvs, I only ever play them on my computer and it plays at the right aspect ratio. Thanks for notifying me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the problem and info from MediaInfo:

40433298895_f4ec467725_o.jpg

That should be "16:9". Somehow you've made your MP4 display in 4:3. Playback can be corrected in VLC (or whatever) easily enough by adjusting the aspect-ratio settings to display correctly but this is still a technical mistake and should be fixed.

It would be a good idea to re-render the file correctly and re-upload it to save viewers the confusion. Always check your output in VLC first before letting others see it, you'd have instantly spotted the file was wrong.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, I'll render a new copy in 16:9, I made it the latter intentionally as I thought the original format as transmitted as 4:3 and was just trying to make it authentic

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Put together a new 16:9 copy. PM me if you want it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I made it the latter intentionally as I thought the original format as transmitted as 4:3 and was just trying to make it authentic

Nooooo. If the show was originally broadcast in 4:3 but the DVD was then converted to 16:9, squashing the 16:9 to 4:3 will not remake the original broadcast, it will just squash it. I've made a graphic to explain:

Never, never, ever, never, ever, ever, never squash the video image :D . That goes for cover art too. Crop it, or nothing.

Top Bottom