• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Reboot: The Guardian Code

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
21122493_2035880459965133_5165327305293399984_o.jpg

21122250_2036134893273023_6590109513244429900_o.png

21125728_2036134889939690_1299031577347343467_o.png

Michel Hefferon discusses more of the premise in this interview

“We’re probably the first series to utilize a game engine to the level that we have in physical production, we’re using the Unreal game engine (Bioshock Infinite, Unreal Tournament) to execute the show,” Hefferon says. “It’s pretty exciting, the worlds that we create. What I like to look at is creating an experience. We have really created a real 360-degree experience for kids.”

When Hefferon says the show will be an experience, he means it. This time, you can actually put on a virtual reality headset and watch the show happen around you. That’s just one of the ways you can take the show in.

“At the point the original Reboot was, there was no such thing as ‘second screen’,” he says. “A kid plopped down and watched a linear show. Now, what kids are interested in are those things that they can have an impact in. You create that engagement factor. That is what we’re doing with Reboot from a second-screen experience, including a VR component to Reboot, where kids can watch that battle sequence on the television show, with their Google Cardboard and their smartphone, they can reenact that experience by being in the middle of that battle with our Cyber Guardians.”

Our cast of characters is four students at Alan Turing High who meet while playing this online game. Leading the battle is Austin, who goes by the name Vector in cyberspace. His best friend is Parker, aka Googz. They meet up with two transfer students Tamra, also known as Enigma, and Trey, who goes by D-Frag.

The kids have been playing the Cyber Guardian game that has also been training them. “Ultimately, when dark code was detected, it triggered them into activation. They’re activated early, they’re basically fish out of water. Though they understand how the characters work, the expectation of being those characters in cyberspace took a real turn for them,” Hefferon says. “Their mentor character – Virtual Evolutionary Reconnaissance Avatar, better known as V.E.R.A., is the one who has been training them. She’s a computer program and ends up getting next-gen-printed bio-constructed as a 16 year-old girl in the real world. She’s basically their mentor, but at the same time, she’s learning what it is to be human, but especially human as a teenager. We have a lot of cool action and wicked effects, we also have great characters, great relationships, comedy, just the everyday life of being kids, which is hopefully the relatable factor for kids.”

Hefferon compares the real life / digital transitions to Peter Parker juggling his real life and secret identity as Spider-Man. “Your conflict starts in the real world,” he says. “The concept of the show for me is a digital slice of how we’re connected and how kids are digitally connected in their everyday lives. Whatever story or plot that starts in live action, is worked out in cyberspace, the CG [computer generated] component of it, it’s never one or the other, it’s a constant inter-cut between live-action and CG. It’s not like in one half of the show in the real-world and the second half is in cyberspace. We’re always cutting back and forth. When there’s a conflict and something is attacked in cyberspace, we see the real-life side of what’s being affected by that. We’re always creating that jeopardy for humanity of what the consequences could be if our Guardian characters fail. It keeps that over-arching character story arcs, the serialization of the series. Each episode continues to build and advance the story line. As we learn more and more about our Guardians, the people that they come in contact with.”

https://roundhouseradio.com/2017/04...o-push-vancouver-animation-to-the-next-level/

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a bit confused. So Reboot was like Tron and the characters were just avatars?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reboot was similar to Tron, but all of the characters were sentient programs.  The User was an unpredictable and vengeful God to them.  Sometimes benevolent with upgrades, often malicious in forcing them to play games for its amusement.  If the user won a game, the programs were reset to null values - depicted in universe as mindless parasitic slugs.  Viruses were the primary villains, the User's actions were more akin to natural disasters and/or divine intervention, rather than being a threat or presence that was within their realm of understanding. 

New show looks awful, hate the premise.  The idea of humans interacting in this world directly should be treated as a world-altering revelation.  This... I don't know.  Maybe I'd be more open to it if this didn't come on the heels of an almost two decade long unresolved cliffhanger.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm a bit confused. So Reboot was like Tron and the characters were just avatars?

No, this is different.

Reboot was like Tron but without any human characters. Just the ones in the computer. They still had a user, but they only interacted with said user when Games were loaded, in which case a giant purple cube came down from the sky and enveloped some random area, changed the landscape of that area, and turned the residents into game sprites. 

For example, a western shooter game would change everything into a ranch in a desert with everyone in cowboy costumes. In one episode the user loads a game that is essentially but not legally Evil Dead, and the characters are zombies near a cabin in the woods running for their lives from basically but not entirely Bruce Campbell. 

The characters could die in the games and they were aware of the user. There were also recurring badguys who were viruses, and the main characters had to foil their schemes and protect the Mainframe. Later on in the series, the user got an internet connection and new characters showed up and one kid character got lost and came back buff and grown up and missing an eye. I have a lot of good memories watching the show years ago, as there was literally nothing else like it at the time.

I'm guessing the new show revolves around kids who found Flynn's Tron laser. I'm not really interested at all. But I'm not the target audience anymore.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's the Reboot I remember. I had terrible reception (yes bunny ears) back then so I didn't always get to watch the show. It also seemed to change what times it showed. I tried to rewatch it some years ago, but the animation is pretty painful to watch now (same with beast wars). So this is using tron as a bridge?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Yeah, that's the Reboot I remember. I had terrible reception (yes bunny ears) back then so I didn't always get to watch the show. It also seemed to change what times it showed. I tried to rewatch it some years ago, but the animation is pretty painful to watch now (same with beast wars). So this is using tron as a bridge?

Similar to, but legally distinct from, Tron.

I think.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Big fan of ReBoot here, er, sort of, anyway - I've never yet gotten to that fourth season. Guess I should, especially since one can now watch the whole series on Amazon Prime with a Shout! Factory $3/mo. add-on subscription (7-day free trial available). Anyhow, we've been teased more ReBoot for freakin' ever, but I guess this time it really is happening, and soon-ish (early 2018). That said, I've never heard of this Michael Hefferon guy, whose CV lists no OG ReBoot work, and this does sound drastically and unnecessarily different from the classic show.  (The animation of which, BTW, 100% holds up, because that's exactly what the world of Mainframe looks like, man!)

So, yeah... I guess I'm mildly interested, but have no expectations or hopes. The classic show was cutting-edge inventive, but also had great writing; now that the novelty of digital worlds is long gone, the screenwriters will really have to bring it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember CITV were told to drop the series in the UK due to the violence (parents complained when Enzo had his eye gored out), I had to wait until 2004 to see the conclusion to the third season.

I disregard the fourth largely because it ends on a cliffhanger and everyone's just a bit dumb in it.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I disregard the fourth largely because it ends on a cliffhanger and everyone's just a bit dumb in it.

I'm with you.  There's some really cool stuff in the Daemon Rising arc, and the subplot involving The Professor was some nice expansion of the lore.  But the characterization is questionable, particularly in the second half, and especially for Dot.  And, while the Daemon subplot wasn't resolved, I still consider Season 3's finale to be the absolutely perfect conclusion to the series.  They probably should have quit while they were ahead.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At one point the only DVD release was Season 4 re-edited into two movies and titled ReBoot 4.0. Because the show was originally rendered in 25 fps it had to be converted to 29.97 fps for the DVD but somebody messed it up and converted it as if the source was a 24 fps film so everything was slightly too slow. My first attempt at fanediting was to re-cut the movies into episodes, speed everything up by a factor of 25/24 and while I was at it to cut off the last minute or so to get rid of the cliffhanger.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched seasons 1&2 but I missed Bob and the John Connor-esque kid was in the main role, couldn't adjust to change.

I don't really remember much about the show anymore other than the x-files spoof with Fax Modem and Data Nully.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I guess I'm mildly interested, but have no expectations or hopes. The classic show was cutting-edge inventive, but also had great writing; now that the novelty of digital worlds is long gone, the screenwriters will really have to bring it.

Mild interest... gone:

A few classic references aside, this looks and feels far more like a Tron: Legacy-based show than ReBoot. And also, bad.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my god that looks awful. Well at least I have my DVDs of the original.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's terrible. 

I'll watch it.

Top Bottom