• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spider-Man 3: The Enemy Within

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original First Post, September 2017
It's been quite a while since someone tried to fix Spider-Man 3, so I thought I'd give it a crack. Taking ideas from Badscooter's acclaimed The Darkness Within and Joelio's Dark Cut mixed in with the offical Editor's Cut and some of my own ideas. I've come up with this cutlist of over 50 edits. But the general intentions are:

-Have the characters make their own decisions
-Make the film darker in tone and more serious
-Have the Spidey campiness where its warranted
-Make it worthy to sit next to the first 2 on the shelf

Okay now here's the cutlist;

[1] - Personal Change (Bobson Dugnutt)
[2] - Redemption (Badscooter)
[3] - Dark Cut (Joeilo)
[4] - Editor's Cut (Bob Murawski)

-Cut opening narration and Broadway musical [2]
-Cut MJ saying, “I love you” [1]
-After opening credits, fades to MJ/Peter on the web [2]
-Harry taking the performance enhancers has been moved here [2]
-Move Sandman running from cops until after Aunt May gives Peter the ring [2]
-Cut Peter’s dumb face when he falls down the side of the building during the New Goblin fight [3]
-Cut scene with cop telling Captain Stacy about Sandman [2]
-Cut Sandman punching a dog [1]
-Cut shot of Sandman diving into the sandpit [4]
-Cut the scientists from Sandman’s creation [3]
-Cut nurse talking to Harry (“They’re my best friends) [1]
-Trim the conversation between Peter and MJ about her review [3]
-Cut modelling scene with Gwen before crane incident [2]
-Cut JJJ and Ted Raimi scene [2]
-Cut Peter's goofy dancing to the marching band [3]
-Cut kid telling Spidey not to kiss Gwen during key ceremony [3]
-Cut shot of New York in morning replaced with… [1]
-Added shot of New York at night [1]
-Cut Peter calling MJ only for her not to answer (again for the 12th time in the 3 movies) [2]
-Cut Peter and Aunt May finding out who really killed Uncle Ben [2]
-Cut MJ at Peter's apartment talking about Uncle Ben's killer [2]
-Replace shots of Uncle Ben with Harry and MJ [1]
-Added 2 new shots of Symbiote crawling up Peter's chest, creating the new symbol, from trailers [1]
-Cut Peter saying, 'This is something else', replaced with… [1] 
-Added shot of Black Suit Spidey jumping off building from trailer [1]
-Move Dr Conners scene to later [1]
-Cut Peter saying 'Marko' before he goes after Sandman [1]
-Cut Peter opening the chest with the Black Suit in it for continuity [1]
-Cut Eddie getting out digital camera [1]
-Cut ‘Remember Ben Parker?’ ect. [2]
-Cut shots of Black Suit Spidey jumping around before kicking Sandman, now Sandman looks up and is kicked in the face [2]
-Cut ‘It’s time to pay Marko’ [1] (maybe replace with quip from video game)
-Cut shot of Spider-Man swinging through the water as Sandman is "killed" [3]
-Cut Peter making his emo fringe in mirror [1]
-Added new shots of Peter seeing Venom in his reflection [1]
-Cut Aunt May scene in apartment [2]
-Move Dr Conners scene to after Peter sees Venom in the mirror [1]
-Cut Harry telling Bernard to get some food
-Cut Peter apologising to Mr Ditkovich [4]
-Cut MJ arriving at Harry's [2,3]
-Added scene of Peter looking at the Black Suit case [4]
-Cut dance sequence between Harry and MJ [2,3]
-Cut Norman saying 'Make him wish he were dead. First, we attack his heart [4]
-Added scene of Peter opening the Black Suit case and smiling [4]
-Cut Peter walking down street glancing at girls [1]
-Cut "I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye" [1] 
-Added Black Suited Spider-Man swinging in daytime [4]
-Added Peter putting away the Black Suit and looking famished [4]
-Added alt Ursla telling Peter he has a phone call [4]
-Moved restaurant scene after Eddie being fired [4]
-Used matte to cut waitress out of shot [1]
-Cut waitress 'How's the pie?' and Harry's response 'So good' [3]
-Added alt. fight intro [4]
-Added Spider-Sense sound when Harry throws pumpkin bomb at Peter [1]
-Cut 'Funky Souls' montage [3]
-Cut Sandman saying 'Penny' after he reforms [1] 
-Added Penny/Sandcastle scene [4]
-Cut “I swear to you, he will not stop me again” [1]
-Trim jazz club scene, now he only dances with Gwen [2,3]
-Few seconds of black after Venom swallows the camera [3]
-Cut Peter talking to Aunt May [4]
-Modulated Venom's Voice [3]
-Cut some of old News Anchor [1]
-Changed “Masked Accomplice” to “Spider-Man?” during news [1]
-Cut Bernard telling Harry that Norman killed himself [2,3]
-Added scene of Harry looking at a photo of himself, MJ and Peter [4]
-Replace Spidey against US flag with shot of Spidey swinging from Spider-Man 2 [1]
-Cut straight from Venom smashing through the top of the taxi to Spidey falling into the web [1]
-Cut “…Humiliation, kinda like how you humiliated me” [1]
-Removed news reporter and crying girl when Sandman is beating Peter [2,3]
-Cut Sam Rami’s kids saying 'Awesome!' and 'Wicked cool!' [2,3]
-Cut “I may need some help over her” and “I’m a little busy” [1]
-Trim JJJ talking to Raimi's Daughter [2]
-Cut Harry yelling 'Am I interrupting?' [2,3]
-Change bell tower flashback to B/W [1]
-Cut all shots of Harry before he jumps in front of the glider [3]
-Create custom matte to cover Harry in one shot [1]
-Cut Peter reaching for the bar, now he just webs it [2]
Cut a shot of Peter looking back and forth before he webs the bar [1]
-Cut “You had a choice when you killed my uncle” [2]
 Cut “I told your uncle all I wanted was the car” and subsequent flashback [2]
-Cut “I’m not asking you to forgive me, I just want you to understand” [2]
-Cut “I forgive you” [2]
-Cut close ups of Peter/MJ crying [1]
-Added People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Souls to end of credits [3]
-Added Bobson Dugnutt card to end of credits [1]

If anyone else has any suggestions, don't hesitate to share

After making my own Spidey 3 edit was just an idea for a few years, I've begun editing the film based on a lot of previously released edits such as Badscooter's Redemption edit and the recent @"SonOfSinbad" Back and Black as well as my own ideas that have built up over a while. Within the spoiler tag was my initial idea of a cutlist, but I've added and subtracted things as this develops.  Uncle Ben's killer is definitely not Sandman though as that will all be cut out. The only current concrete changes are as follows;

- cut the kids walking away from the screen and Pete trying to lure them back
- cut Pete's "I'm so nervous" when the music starts as the 2 guys squash him
- cut most of the Harry and Pete dialogue in their confrontation outside the play
- cut most of Peter and MJ's talk backstage as the Harry convasation transitions into Harry and the Goblin Serum
- cut the cops rolling away as Marko watches
- cut Marko's ex-wife saying "you maybe even killed a man"
- cut Marko's ex-wife saying "you and the truth in a box...eating 3 meals a day"
- cut Marko saying "I'm not a bad guy, just bad luck"and rearranged some shots to compensate
- cut Aunt May's story about Uncle Ben. It's not bad, it just slows the scene right down and drags quite a bit
- cut some of the struggle in the Harry/Pete fight before Harry cuts him 
- trim some of Pete swinging and blasting web balls at Harry
- cut Pete's goofy close up as he's falling
- cut a close up of Pete's goofy face as he's being dragged across the building
- cut a cop telling Cpt. Stacy about Marko's whereabouts and his involvment in Uncle Ben's murder
- cut Marko punching a cop dog
- cut the scientists from the Sandman creation scene
- cut the nurse talking to Harry about his friends and the "subtle" foreshadowing
- cut everything in the MJ Review convo between 'this is about me" and "it's just, i look at these words"
- cut "they sound like my father wrote them" as the police dispatcher interrupts her as she sighs 
- cut Pete's "Go get em tiger?"
- cut Pete's "I'm sorry"
- cut Gwen's modeling scene and thw whole "I've got a secret, it's my copeyah"
- rescored the intial crane impact instead of the upbeat music playing in the office
- cut Eddie's "are you smiling? just kidding"
- cut Eddie's "he makes you look kind of bloated, y'know a little chunky". He now calls Parker an amateur and Spidey reponds with an "Okay?"
- cut the JJJ and Ted Raimi slogan/vibrating desk pill scene 
- cut Pete's goofy dancing to the marching band
- replaced Spidey's "Shazam!" with a "Yahoo!" courtesy of Spider-Man: The Game (2002)
- cut the kid being disgusted at Spidey kissing Gwen
- cut Pete talking to himself at the table as he reherses what Gwen might say
- cut Pete calling MJ only for her not to answer
- cut Peter and Aunt May finding out who really killed Uncle Ben from Cpt Stacy
- cut MJ at Peter's apartment talking about Uncle Ben's killer and her offering sympathy

Cutlist will be updated eventually as I develop the edit further.

Ideal runtime would be somewhere under 2 hours, maybe 1hr 56 if I'm lucky, but that's just an estimate at the moment. 

As always, suggestions are welcome.

Good luck! I love how different it is from the one I did a while ago. Shows that so many people can have visions of this movies edits that no 2 seem very similar. Best of luck and I would love to lend thoughts as it comes along.

Fantastic cut list.  Have you begun editing?  What I can recommend is not having cuts in the middle of music “soliloquies” such as Harry’s death scene.  I don’t see how that could make the film better…

Canon Editor said:
Fantastic cut list.  Have you begun editing?  What I can recommend is not having cuts in the middle of music “soliloquies” such as Harry’s death scene.  I don’t see how that could make the film better…

I haven't started yet, I'm still looking for things to cut and to see if anyone else has any ideas. 
Removing the close-ups but keeping the music intact is simple. I can just cut the shots and put the original score (from the OST) back over the scene. 

Here's a quick example I put together to show what I mean. 
I cut out the shots of Peter glancing at other women and him saying "I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye" and then put the original music back over it. 
It'll be somewhat the same for the Harry death scene

I could also really use Joelio's Dark Cut to see how he trimmed some stuff, but I could go without

All right.  If that works as well as in the clip, bravo!  

Nonetheless, you may or may have not noticed there is a frame rate issue in the clip… is it because of the rendering on Vimeo or because of the source?

Just a reminder, you already have two active projects.

TVs Frink said:

I know, this is still very much an idea that I'm still developing

Bobson Dugnutt said:
TVs Frink said:

A video and an extensive cut list makes the idea rather suspect. Are you actively working on your idea?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:
TVs Frink said:

A video and an extensive cut list makes the idea rather suspect. Are you actively working on your idea?

If by actively working on it you mean editing, not yet. 

The video was quickly edited to demonstrate score replacement

I have somewhat of an idea to imply the symbiote knows who Peter is/what he can do by using a line from the PS2 game, this would also mean I can cut the dumb line "Parker?" in the church. Only difficulty is where to put it exactly

Also maybe add some quips here and there from the game so Spidey feels more, well, Spidey

Maybe using another line from the video game is the Venom/Sandman team-up alley scene. I want Sandman to feel more sympathetic, but after just outrighting complying to kill Spidey, he isn't so much anymore. But in the game, Venom has Penny and that's why Sandman agrees to join him. I'm very inclined to use the lines from here to make him more submissive and to imply that if he doesnt help Venom, he will kill Penny.
The only problem is how to put it in. I'm thinking of just putting shots of Venom when Sandman is talking and vice-versa, but there aren't many shots of Venom in this scene.

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Maybe using another line from the video game is the Venom/Sandman team-up alley scene. I want Sandman to feel more sympathetic, but after just outrighting complying to kill Spidey, he isn't so much anymore. But in the game, Venom has Penny and that's why Sandman agrees to join him. I'm very inclined to use the lines from here to make him more submissive and to imply that if he doesnt help Venom, he will kill Penny.
The only problem is how to put it in. I'm thinking of just putting shots of Venom when Sandman is talking and vice-versa, but there aren't many shots of Venom in this scene.

I tried this same idea on the same scene, but I just couldn't make it work no matter what I tried. I hope you have better luck at it! The way the scene is shot and the camera angles just makes it nigh impossible to fit the dialogue in.

@"Bobson Dugnutt", have you ever read Jeffery Crayon's cutlist? His version (which unfortunately seems to be abandoned) was very ambitious, and sounded very promising. You might be able to glean a few helpful ideas from it. Here's a link to the thread where he discussed what he was planning on doing:

Spider-Man 3.1- Updated Final Battle Clip - Fanedit Forums

hbenthow said:
@"Bobson Dugnutt", have you ever read Jeffery Crayon's cutlist? His version (which unfortunately seems to be abandoned) was very ambitious, and sounded very promising. You might be able to glean a few helpful ideas from it. Here's a link to the thread where he discussed what he was planning on doing:

Spider-Man 3.1- Updated Final Battle Clip - Fanedit Forums

I have looks at a lot of his thread, but not in great detail. It did look very ambitious. One concept that he did that I considered using was having Peter find the symbiote and immediately go fight Sandman, but I kinda want to keep the scene with the dispatcher and him going for the red and blue suit and instead choosing the black suit. Looking at the cutlist now, I've thought of similar things to him like moving the Dr Conners symbiote scene until after he gets spooked by a proto-Venom in his reflection, but his is more drastic

Sounds interesting - Badscooter redeemed the film for me, and I'd be curious to see where yours goes!

His edit was very good and probably the best I've seen, but there are a few edits that need to be cleaned up and some other things done. And with the release of the Editor's Cut with the new scenes, I think it's the perfect oppertunity to create a superior version to the theatrical

Are you holding off on the release of this edit to see whether there will be any usable footage from the new Tom Hardy Venom movie that could enhance it?

For instance, if there's footage showing the Symbiote coming to Earth via a crashed Earth spacecraft, maybe that could somehow be used to replace the Symbiote landing near Peter in a meteorite?

hbenthow said:
Are you holding off on the release of this edit to see whether there will be any usable footage from the new Tom Hardy Venom movie that could enhance it?

For instance, if there's footage showing the Symbiote coming to Earth via a crashed Earth spacecraft, maybe that could somehow be used to replace the Symbiote landing near Peter in a meteorite?

I haven't actually started on this yet, it's still in the ideas stage. But maybe they'll be something to add from there

hbenthow said:

I was thinking about the very same thing while I watched the crappy Venom teaser haha.

Similarly, I'm waiting for X-Men: Dark Pheonix with an X3 edit in mind.

Back
Top Bottom