• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Any good free programs to create dvd cover artwork

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wondering if there are any good programs for mac to create custom dvd artwork or posters for my fan edits. I'm really impressed by the artwork I see on here. Preferably a free program but if I have to pay, I have to pay.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best options, in my opinion:

free = GIMP

not free = Photoshop

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I’m wicked cheap so I’ll be checking out GIMP first. Appreciate it!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GIMP is incredibly powerful, and in some respects even more so than Photoshop. I'm not crazy about the interface, mostly because I've been a Photoshop user for more than 15 years, but there are add-ons to make it more PS-like. If you're not coming from Adobeland though, GIMP should be just what you need.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 for the gimp brigade. I also like that it has a crash bandicoot-ish logo  ;)

I used to use .Paint years ago as well.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've used a program called paint.net for years. It's completely free and pretty good IMO.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have Photoshop Elements because I was able to get it for cheap, but tbh the main thing it does better than free tools IME is handling raster text layers.

On the free side I have used both GIMP and Paint.NET, and both are excellent and highly customisable. The plugin to let Paint.NET read psd files is particularly useful.

I think it has long since become inactive, but I used to swear by the GimpShop project - all the power of GIMP, with a UI far more intuitive if you're used to PhotoShop.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 for Photoshop CS6. Several generations old, but plenty powerful.

Oops. My bad. I read that wrong. :blush:

One way to save time on editing a part of your image: use layers. Copy the image to a new layer, remove what you don't want to alter, edit the remainder, place that layer in front of the original layer. I find this especially convenient when I don't like an end result and I go back to tweak my edit. There's no risk of accidentally altering the bits you didn't want to alter in the first place.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Do you use that to produce the 3D mock-up of the covers too?

No. A program called Imandix. Be careful when you google that.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
No. A program called Imandix. Be careful when you google that.

B0HISQf.gif

+1 for Gimp. The interface is a little clunky, but once you get used to it you'll find it to be a very powerful tool.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there are themes/settings that make Gimp more like Photoshop. It's a lot better for those migrating from PS, but still somewhat awkward. Powerful software, less than powerful interface.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really appreciate all the responses! I’m definitely going to check these out. I’ve just been using final cut because I’m so familiar with the format but I know there would be something better.

WingMantis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I've used a program called paint.net for years. It's completely free and pretty good IMO.

I've been using paint.net for a long time also.

I'm not sure if it's licensed for commercial use though, so GIMP is probably the best (actually Photoshop started by ripping of a lot of ideas from GIMP, they just came up with a good interface).

If you haven't got it yet, get the Magix Humble Bundle that has Vegas 14 Pro Edit (NO Updates). It also comes with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. Has photo editing and vector graphics. 1 year of updates so could even make it to the next major revision. It has CMYK separations for professional print prep.

Only downside is it doesn't have built in Pantone data, so you have to look those up to get RGB equivalents.

There are a couple other photo management programs in the bundle also.

WingMantis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wasn't thinking about it when I posted before, but there are better free programs for designing covers.

If you are creating art itself then an image editor is what you want. For creating layout and text there are better programs.

Scribus is a free desktop publishing program (similar to Adobe inDesign)

inkscape is also free, and can be used for simple layouts

Top Bottom