• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Halloween: Resurrection (The Make Michael Scary Again edit)

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Forum! I've been fan editing for about a year and finally signed up here to share my work. I'm a huge fan of the original Halloween which leaves me no shortage of awful sequels to edit. I'm currently finishing up an edit of Halloween: Resurrection called the Make Michael Scary Again edit. Anyone who's seen the movie knows that Michael Myers comes across as a joke, the characters talk trash to him often, and there's godawful kung fu. I've eliminated all of this, rescored scenes, cut bad dialogue, and made the fights more visceral. I have a few clips to post and would really value any feedback being new to the site. Thanks!

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDVXjcwjDs[/video]

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5fnudvp21I&t=2s[/video]

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNlsculuMzA[/video]

*Link errors removed*

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzp9Gbn12Lr6tMEpSk1kTg/featured?view_as=subscriber

My channel has other edits from other movies and any feedback would be very welcomed!

Can anyone tell me if the videos here are actually embedded or if it's just code? Every time I embed them the videos show but then I feel like they go away. Pretty annoying.

Ryantology said:
Can anyone tell me if the videos here are actually embedded or if it's just code? Every time I embed them the videos show but then I feel like they go away. Pretty annoying.

You're using the wrong method for embedding - you don't need to use the Youtube embed codes, you just copy the normal Youtube link, click the "insert video" icon (it's the one immediately to the left of the emoji icon), select Youtube from the dropdown list and paste in the link.

Is this the same edit as this one you had archived?
https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=15669

Also, please use the video embed button to post videos. The iframe codes do not work in the forum. The button is located next to the smiley emoticon button. I've fixed attempted to fix the video code errors in your OP, but the links were broken.

Nope! There are so many bad Halloween movies that I have three different Halloween edits done. And and a Boondock Saints edit for good measure.

Also, thank you so much for fixing my post! Honestly, this is the first forum I’ve ever been interested enough in signing up for so I feel like a dumb rookie most of the time.

Nice slicing out of Kung Fu Busta Rhymes, there. You can tell where things have gone though, because the music jumps a little.

Yeah, cutting out kung fu Busta Rhymes was tricky. I’m mostly happy with it though. I’ve gotten the movie to the point where I can watch it and not want to immediately leave the room. 

I also cut out all the trash talking the Rudy character was doing to Michael in the kitchen. You’d be fighting for your life, not talking about how someone needs more protein in their diet. So infuriating.

Just an FYI, you can also embed video by using this format:

[video=site you are embedding from]video url[/video]

Thread moved to Pending Approval, until this has been reviewed by the Academy. Thanks.

I see the thread has been moved to "pending approval" so i guess obviously your fanedit of "Halloween: Resurrection" is finished. Man im so ready to see this, i love the small changes you did you posted in the first comment of the thread, very nice touch. IMO Halloweej: Resurrection was my least favorite of the franchise, im glad someone took on the challenge to make it better than the release. Hope to see it soon!! Thank again for your hard work, i know every one here will enjoy it!

Reviewed this for the ifdb Academy:

This is a really bad entry in the Halloween series (that @"Ryantology" has succeeded in making less bad) with only the thoroughly likeable presence of Katee Sackhoff making it somewhat bearable. The creepy guy constantly sexually harassing her comes off as more of a threat than Michael Myers  :D (thankfully he is the first person in the house to get butchered). It's a shame this is only SD, a blu-ray source would have been better. Great taste on the rescoring choices! I hadn't noticed right away until I happened to be checking something on the original movie and thought the music sounded different. The first chase sequence at around 9-mintes in is transformed.

Unfortunately there are a number of points where the sound editing is off (and one or two visual cuts) so this is not approved. Here is a detailed list of the points that need fixed:

00.00.00 - The edit starts abruptly with dialogue already in progress over the studio title cards which is very wrong. It should slowly fade up, so start the dialogue later, or add back a little more footage so it starts later. However, considering the original intro starts with music over credits my goal would be to replace the ugly orange titles with classic white-on-black John Carpenter style titles, then segue into the start as you planned. That'd give this the full on vintage Carpenter feel.
00.10.00 - Laurie's line her after she slams the door is unintelligible underneath the overly loud music. Some remixing is needed, although removing the line might work even better as it's a bit of a lame one-liner.
00.37.24 - The edit from the killing to Busta sounds off. Why not use the original audio from that cut and fade it in earlier over the stabbing.
00.51.49 - The gap between the decapitation and the monitor feed of the head still on the ground is too short, making the edit obvious (the audio isn't great either). You can add back a few shots in between without doing the whole bouncing down the stairs thing.
00.51.54 - The cut from "Hello 911" to the new music is far too abrupt and I think the end of the line gets slightly cut off.
00.51.55 - Totally love the new music you used here but the soundFX are far too sparse. It needs a lot more work dubbing in extra stuff (Try freesound.org). Also the music seems a bit too loud overall.
00.54.44 - The "Deckard" dialogue is being drowned out by the loud music.
00.57.52 - The abrupt change in music is noticeable here and again it's too loud ad not enough soundFX.
01.12.52 - The end credits abruptly cut off a few seconds too early.

Some other random observations, than don't need fixed but you could try and improve them:

00.09.15 - I was going to complain about this terrible sudden mismatched edit as Laurie bashes Michael over the head but I checked and it's in the original source. Oh dear :D .
00.15.28 - I don't know if this movie has a clean center channel allowing for music swaps but if so, the rock music in this scene is so 90s it hurts. Something more timeless Rock from the Carpenter era would be better. Probably not possible though.
00.18.58 - Ditto this scene. What even is the awful jaunty music that is playing in the background here? It's totally at odds with the dialogue about murder. The music at 00.18.09 is less bad but not great, in fact just replace all the music in every scene, it's sooooo awful.
00.38.57 - Again I was going to say I'd noticed that the "Hold on?" line doesn't sync with any of her lip movements but no, it's like that in the original. Oh man, this movie.

Let me know if I didn't explain of those points well enough. I think you should be able to smooth over these points easy enough with a bit more time, the fanedit itself is overall sound.

Thread moved back to in-the-works. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly, this was one of the first fanedits I ever did and didn't know how to look for clean center channels. Luckily, this movie has one. Does that mean that I'm practically going to have to re-edit the whole thing? Yup. I don't have my original project file anymore. Oh well. I'm halfway done with it already. It's much easier to edit a movie the second time around. 

I very much agree with everything you said minus one note. Sure, the orange credits looks hokey, but every Halloween movie that I can remember has had orange on black credits. I had thought about maybe color correcting the orange but I wouldn't be able to do it for every credit considering some of the credits are over footage.

Having a clear center channel has led to me cutting some awful lines of dialogue that I didn't have the ability to before. I'm assuming when you watch a resubmission that you don't rewatch the entire thing. I can give you time markers for any dialogue that has been changed.

I finished watching the new version of this edit.

@"Ryantology" has remade it from scratch: improving the image-quality/filesize, using the center-channel to remove bad music and add in improved new music, address the issues I listed above and several more little fixes and tweaks. It's overall a more polished edit now and I personally appreciated the bad 90s music removals. This second version did have a problem with the way it abruptly started but that has been fixed after a few PMs to discuss it. After that start, it all looked/sounded good to me, so this is approved :) . This edit probably makes this Halloween franchise entry as good as it can be and more in keeping with the tone of the original.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Congratulations. Thread moved.

I'm so excited to have my first edit approved for this site! I'm in the process of creating cover art for this but if anyone would like to check out some sample clips, here ya go!

I don't know how and if I can leave a review, so I'll put it here. Editing was perfect and the edits did improve what they could. I still didn't like Resurrection. No fault to Ryantology though. I believe people who like Resurrection will love this edit. Recommended to fans of the film and people who wanted to see it in a better light.

Back
Top Bottom