• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The ARROWVERSE (Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends,etc)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
But it is not a perfect hour of crossover tv, as we have now completed Hour THREE, and the Big Villain, THE ANTI-MONITOR is utterly under developed

They're being faithful to the source material, then.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny?
Regardless, I disagree.

Anti-Monitor from the comics in a nutshell:

"Matter is bad, antimatter is good. I will destroy all matter universes, which are bad, leaving only the Antimatter Universe, which is good."

The guy has no deeper motivation than that.

Sounds like most Embodiment of Evil Uber Villains to me.  The whole Star Wars franchise is built upon it.

My point being, in the Crisis comic you meet the Anti-Monitor, you see him in action, you watch him manipulate Harbinger and Pariah, you get to listen to him spout his Big Bad monologues, you see him take pleasure in the pain of others... yes, it all very comic book villain 101, but it necessary comic book 101... it makes the villain more real, even if you view it as stereotypical.

But the CW Crisis crossover has pretty much kept the Anti-Monitor off stage except for one brief scene... instead you get other characters talking about the Anti-Monitor, telling us how bad he is, telling us what he is doing... and this can sometimes work (ie Lord of the Rings) but here I just feel the narrative would benefit from the Anti-Monitor being up front and center more.

But I get it.  The budget is limited and the logistics are staggering.  And I am not knocking it.  I have loved every moment of this crossover so far.  The original comic had a fundamental impact on me as a teenager, and my inner 15 year old is greedy and just wants more.  But then again, I never imagined any sort of live action adaptation of this material would ever be possible, so this is pretty damn amazing for me. :heart:

And still, for me, a million times better than Batman V. Superman.  :D

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
But it is not a perfect hour of crossover tv, as we have now completed Hour THREE, and the Big Villain, THE ANTI-MONITOR is utterly under developed

They're being faithful to the source material, then.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny?
Regardless, I disagree.

Anti-Monitor from the comics in a nutshell:

"Matter is bad, antimatter is good. I will destroy all matter universes, which are bad, leaving only the Antimatter Universe, which is good."

The guy has no deeper motivation than that.

Sounds like most Embodiment of Evil Uber Villains to me.  The whole Star Wars franchise is built upon it.

Oh, don't get me started on that.  :mad: :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been rewatching the first three parts, making notes for future fan edit... what lines to cut, what scenes to move around, what I could incorporate from other DC shows or movies...

I figure I should easily be able to incorporate an Earth-52 scene from the Justice League movie.

I want to give Flash-90 a longer, more fitting flashback tribute moment.

And I am wondering if somehow I could incorporate this classic Smallville moment....

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A friend on mine is obsessed with the 1988 Superboy show. He did this

DCEU cameos

And Earth-93 (since Cain-19 is a Trump fanatic so they won't work with him) 

He's doing it as two mvies called 'Kingdom Cut'. I'm excited that you @"bionicbob"  and others are already starting to do Crisis edits. I'd be reluctant to think of anything until 4 and 5 are out.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DANLAV05 said:
A friend on mine is obsessed with the 1988 Superboy show. He did this

DCEU cameos

And Earth-93 (since Cain-19 is a Trump fanatic so they won't work with him) 

He's doing it as two mvies called 'Kingdom Cut'. I'm excited that you @"bionicbob"  and others are already starting to do Crisis edits. I'd be reluctant to think of anything until 4 and 5 are out.

Very impressive!  I think I would have called the Justice League Earth, 52.   ;)

I am not making any edit yet... the DVDs won't be out til summer... just taking detailed notes if I ever do.

Thank You so much for sharing.  :D   I have now subscribed to your friends channel!!!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2 days til the two hour conclusion....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS

HOUR FOUR --

--with this penultimate episode, the limits of the CW budget are strained, so the big battle at the Dawn of Time (ie Vancouver Quarry Pit) is somewhat underwhelming, particularly the supposed cosmic confrontation between Ollie as The Spectre and the Anti-Monitor. Sadly, no Cosmic Hand at the beginning of the Universe.
--The lost in the Speed Force plot felt a bit like filler, time that could have been used to flesh out The Spectre or the Anti-Monitor, who was completely under (not) developed.
--However it gave us the best surprise cameo EVER!
--while the budget was not enough, the character moments were rich and plentiful
--they killed him twice!!!
HOUR FIVE --

--the last hour is very enjoyable, as we see the repercussions of re-starting the Universe. So happy I was wrong, as I did not think they would really do it... but they did! We get our cake and get to eat it too!
--Marv Wolfman!!!
--Sargon the Sorcercer!!! lol
--Baby Sara!!
--"Sons"??????
--Super Friends!!!
--Brandon Routh flyby!!!

FINAL THOUGHTS (for now lol) --
--no Wonder Woman/Lynda Carter cameo = sadness
--this five parter was a bit disjointed and too episodic, compared to the similarily massive EARTH-X crossover which flowed very smoothly like one giant movie.
--Despite the budget/logisitics limitations, I pretty much enjoyed the entire crossover. It was bold, ambitious and a helluv a lot of FUN!

Pure Comic Book Goodness! :D :heart: :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ARROW -- The Series Finale -- "Fade Out"

Spoiler Free Musings...

After 8 seasons, the show that launched a DC Television Shared Universe -- The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, Batwoman, and coming next season, Superman & Lois -- came to an end.

I am happy to say the show stuck to it's landing. The show cleverly gives us our cake and lets us eat it too. We get to see the repercussions of Oliver's sacrifice. We experience the love and loss of those left behind. We get an action packed flashback which reminds us Arrow was/is the best action stunt show ever done on television (it was John Wick before John Wick). And we get hopeful, even happy endings, for many beloved characters and a strong sense of legacy.

And the Funeral scene. Wow! I was shocked at how many faces showed up. And I must admit I teared up a few times.

While it might not have been the most powerful series finale I have ever watched, it ticked all the right boxes and left me very satisfied.

In the end, Oliver Queen completed his mission.
He saved his city.
I will miss him.

Over eight seasons, ARROW has been a rollecoaster of quality. Balancing the Big Bad Arcs with strong individual episodes has always been a challenge, with some seasons leaning heavier one way or the other. Very rarely did it synergize both elements, but when it did, it was glorious!

My ranking of the 8 seasons:

1.) (THE BEST) Season Two -- Deathstroke!!!!
2.) Season One -- origins, world building and the Dark Archer!
3.) Season Five -- Prometheus and the monster within
4.) Season Four -- Damian Dhark, the best moustache twirling, over the top, awesome villian in the Arrowverse!
5.) Season Three -- a miscast Ra's al Ghul but a great season of new DC Heroes --Flash and the Atom and fun finale with Oliver and Felicity driving off into the sunset!
6.) Season Six -- Cayden James and Richardo Diaz good villains but never fully realized, the show changes up formula with no flashbacks and more focused strong individual character episodes.
7.) Season Eight -- only 10 episodes, it is a Love Letter/Greatest Hits nostalgia tour for fans culminating in the biggest crossover event ever --Crisis on Infinite Earths.
8.) (WORST) Season Seven -- I guess Emiko was the Big Bad? A new showrunner and a season lacking any coherant throughline theme, plus the introduction of flashforwards to Star City 2040 and Team Arrow 2.0.  But the Slabslide arc was good and Olliv VS the ENTIRE prision will go down as the most brutal, violent and amazeballs stunt fight sequence in the history of the show.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Surprised to see S8 so low - and S4, with its awful Andy Diggle arc, so high. ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Surprised to see S8 so low - and S4, with its awful Andy Diggle arc, so high. ;)
I should say, for me, every season of Arrow, even the frustrating ones, there are elements that I love.

Season 8 is only low for me because it is not doing anything new.  It is just a Greatest Hits Tour.   Which is very fun and feel good, but there is nothing fresh happening.   And I sort of view CRISIS as it own seperate entity.

Season 4, it is all about Damien Dhark for me.  LOVED him as a villian!  My favourite badguy of the entire Arrowverse.  So that ups it considerably for me.    :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fan editor extraordinaire Ultra Sargent strikes again...

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shucks, I still haven't watched the last two hours of the Crisis! I'll see about watching those soon.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE FLASH
Season Six

Last night was the unintended season finale with the episode "Success is Assured"... and while it was not designed to be the season ender (so many dangling plot threads), it worked pretty well as an old school cliffhanger...

---what happened to Iris?
---will Barry ever get his speed back?
---will Cisco find the solution in Atlantis?
---what about Thawne?
---and Godspeed?

Overall, under new showrunner Eric Wallace, season six was a very enjoyable ride. The season was broken into two main arcs -- BLOODWORK pre-Crisis and MIRROR MISTRESS post-Crisis. And by not having one season long Big Bad arc greatly refreshed the series. In fact, it proves, shorter, more focused arcs work better than the longer drawn out ones.

One the best highlights of the season has to be the introduction of SUE DEARBON. Her romcom Thinman relationship with Elongated Man is brilliant! I would totally watch a spin-off with these two characters.

Team Flash might was grown a bit two large this season, as the writers did seem to struggle to balance screen and story time for them all..... often with characters missing for an episode or two at a time.

In the end, a mostly solid season with lots of comic book fun and still my favourite of the Arrowverse shows.
I would give season six a comfortable 7.5 out of 10.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BATWOMAN
season one

"O Mouse" may have been Batwoman's unintended season finale but it was highly effective with the reveal of Bruce Wayne (sort of!) and a ruthless confrontation between BW and the Crows.

First seasons are always interesting as producers test ideas and try to figure out what works and what does not and BW is no exception. This season was perhaps too Alice-centric, making most guest villains and stand alone episodes one note and forgettable. The Crows and their role within Gotham, and Gotham as a city character, were sorely underdeveloped. (though amount of on location shooting in Chicago certainly gave the series a fresh and dark look compared to its Vancouver based Arrowverse companion shows) And for an action superheros show, the fight choerography was very underwhelming for more than half the season.

But this last handful of episodes, the series really started to gel and improve dramatically as story arcs began to connect and be tied up. And the action and editing saw a massive jump in quality and energy.

A mosty enjoyable, if somewhat bumpy, first season for me.
7.5 out of 10.

Batwoman returns in January 2021. It has been announced there will be a crossover special with the new series Superman & Lois.

SUPERGIRL

Season Five

"Immortal Kombat" brought season five to an early close. But again, like the other unintended Arrowverse season finales, this episode worked nicely closing many story arcs while leaving us with a solid cliffhanger.

This season's topical social commentary theme, Dangers of Technology/Social Media, never quite crystalized compared to past seasons but it was refreshing that Supergirl saves the day not with fists, but with words.

While the Leviathan Gods provided a decent physical adversary for Supergirl, it was the devilishly delicious manipulations of Joh Cryer as Lex Luthor that kept our hero in constant peril.

Most of the cast was well served with balanced moments and arcs. The Kara/Lena misuderstanding/hurt feelings/betrayal arc went on far too long, but it was nice that it was resolved through adult discussion. Dreamer was a fun addition, a character who just loves the joy of being a hero.

I think shipping of Kara and William was dull as dust thus far. J'Onn got a nice suit upgrade, though it looks very bulky. Brainy was retronned this season to be closer to his comic book look(green skin with blonde hair), which I loved and Alex becomes a costumed hero too. Though I did not recognized the costume design, so I am unclear if it is an original creation or an adaptation of a comic character.

A good season for me. 8 out of 10.
Due to Melissa Benoist's pregnacy, Supergirl is not scheduled to return until Spring/Summer 2021.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stargirl-heroesvillans_5ebef621eb6036.15752945.jpg

STARGIRL (CW/DC UNIVERSE)

Watched the pilot....

Joyously delightful!

A gloriously faithful comic book adaptation with a strong Spielberg/Amblin vibe.

After the disappointments of TITANS and DOOM PATROL, it looks like DC Universe finally got one right. :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:

Yep.  I thought I posted this but I guess I forgot to hit the Reply Button lol.

Already lots of stories circulating... that it was mutaul decision between Rose and the Producers... that she was not prepared for the long hours of being a lead in a high profile production to not happy working in Vancouver.

We know she experienced a serious neck/spinal injury while performing a stunt early in the season, leading to emergency surgery.  She also developed a severe allergic reation to the adhesive used for the costume, thus the changes to the Bat suit mid-way through the season.

I enjoyed her portrayl, but if she is not happy doing the role, better to let her go and wish her all the best.

So let the Recasting Speculation begin!!!!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crisis on Infinite Earths (2019/20)

Crisis_on_Infinite_Earths_%28Arrowverse%29_dual_posters.jpg

As I suspected/feared, the much-balleyhooed Arrowverse CoIE is pretty wretched. The main lesson from Infinity War - that the villain must be as complex as the heroes, and get as much screen time, is completely ignored. Ergo, even more than last time, there is no real story to be told, and all the cameos and talk of trillions of deaths can't make up for that. What's more, much of the drama is turgid at best - "Paragon of Love" Barry Allen mostly comes off as a twerp, soap opera writing abounds, and while Ruby Rose does have a certain charisma, Batwoman's general shtick is laughable. Meanwhile, Tom Welling somehow makes more of an impression in one power-less, suit-less scene than all of Hoechlin and Routh's Superman-ing put together - doubtless thanks in large part to the fact that he's not made to play second fiddle to a woman who goes by the name "-girl." That's not a knock on Benoist, or female heroes in general, as Caity Lotz's Sarah Lance has been a more compelling badass than Oliver Queen himself for a long time. But, when the franchise expects us to take Bruce Wayne's cousin in a bright pink wig more seriously than Superman himself, it only reduces itself to a sitcom that (mostly) pretends to be drama. And the result is abundant lameness.

The thing is, they could have built a solid crossover around Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor, who, in his hatred for superheroes, has an understandable perspective given all the apocalyptic threats they often seem to cause, and quite literally laugh off in the Superfriends-esque coda. But, that would be too dramatic, I guess? Small wonder, then, that many of the best moments come from the Legends gang/episode, the only show of the bunch that seems to have found a sustainable balance of sitcom-level comedy hijinks and dramatic stakes. Hail Beebo!

Overall grade: C-.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Spoiler free musings....

The Arrowverse returned tonight with the season two premiere of BATWOMAN.

The season opener had a ton of heavy lifting to do between wrapping up the storylines from the Covid interrupted season one and, most importantly, introducing a new lead character in the title role.

It did not succeed on all fronts for me. Too much is accelerated and truncated to have real impact. This opener could have been and should have been, a two hour event. But instead, we get a lot of cringe worthy and extremely awkward character dialogue and exposition. It makes for an uneven watch.

However, I will happily say, Javicia Leslie as the new Batwoman exudes onscreen charisma and brings a refreshing dynamic energy to the proceedings. So while this opening episode was a bit disappointing, I see great potential in this new Batwoman.

Top Bottom