• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The ARROWVERSE (Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends,etc)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Arrowverse-2018-Crosover-Release-Dates-Image.jpg

The dates are set for the annual crossover event.
Interestingly, it appears Flash and Supergirl have swapped scheduled nights for the event.  My speculation:  I am guessing, as I don't think it has been confirmed yet, Batwoman will be based on Supergirl's Earth-38, thus Supergirl will have more significant role to play in this storyline compared to the previous two crossovers.  It would open the door to further team-ups between SG and BW, setting up the classic World's Finest dynamic.

In other news, Babylon 5's Bruce Boxlietner has replaced the previously announced Brent Spiner.  He will be playing the U.S. Vice President. We know the anti-alien movement will be a major story element this season, so hopefully, we will see a return of Lynda Carter  as the U.S. President and wrap up her storyline from season two?

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know, just seeing that poster makes me wonder why has no one recreated the Original Justice League Cartoon opening with the Arrowverse characters? People would eat that up!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As @"Zarius" noted in the Arrow thread, Stephen Amell's wife Casandra Jean Amell has been cast as Nora Fries, the wife of classic Batman villain Mr. Freeze.   

In other crossover news, actress Elizabeth Tulloch has been cast as LOIS LANE.  Tulloch previously starred on the series GRIMM.
I think she is a solid choice.  It should make many fans happy, as many voiced concern that the CW would cast the role too young.  The show has established Superman is around 38-39 years old in the series, thus Lois should be his contemporary in age.

https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-lois-lane-elizabeth-tulloch/

However, I also remember Cat Grant saying something about how she knew Lois when she was first starting out at the Daily Planet, and Flockhart is in her 50s?  :p

Superman Tyler Hoechlin has been cast in a Netflix series, which I can not remember the name of at the moment.  But will be being in another series limit future appearances as the Man of Steel on Supergirl?

Though maybe, this three part crossover will remove Superman from the series equation and put to rest the constant questioning by viewers why Superman never shows up to help Kara save the world? lol

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FLASH had it's season five premiere a few nights ago....

LOVED IT!!!

And as if I have to say it, yes there are SPOILERS, so read at your own peril....

This is easily my favourite season premiere since season two.  
Nora is absolutely adorable!  
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QH_cDMDpDc[/video]

While the villain of the week was forgettable, the episode as a whole was just pure FUN, with just the right amount of superhero soap and genuine feels.  Barry and Iris's reaction to discovering they will have a daughter in the future was wonderfully executed.  And Gusten's performance about wanting to be a parent was perfect.

The episode was loaded with comic booky references... Nora name drops Ryan Choi (the heir to the Atom, Ray Palmer)  and Lightning Lad -- (along with using the Legion swear of "Grife") which brings up the question is Nora a member of the Legion of Super Heroes (as she is in the comics) and is there a Legion on Earth-1 or does she cross parallel worlds, or even more geeky, does Nora come from a Post-Crisis timeline which has been teased since episode one?   Nora also using the slang "Schway" which is from Batman Beyond.   We also learn about the Flash Museum, the Flash Ring and the producers have fun with Ralph learning about time travel and explaining how Ralph is alive since he died in season one (pre-Flashpoint).  And finally, the saving of the plane by phasing it was lifted directly from the comics.  I love how Barry gave Nora the same speech Thawne gave him years ago.

And of course, we get a new suit after Barry goes through his last two versions in the episode.  Easily the most comic accurate version to date.  I love the brighter red and spandex-like look.  Though I have gotten so used to the chin strap it seems odd now not to see it.

As I said, this episode was so loaded with call backs and easter eggs, it felt more like an 100th episode special than just a season opener. I would give this premiere a very awesome 8 out of 10.

Oh and one last thing, in the 25 Years Later article, Batwoman is mentioned as fighting along Green Arrow, Elongated Man and Supergirl against the Reverse Flash and his shadow army....

Which leads to the first CW promo picture of Ruby Rose as Batwoman....
batwoman-costume-full.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season four of SUPERGIRL returned on Sunday...

And most of concerns from my season three review seemed to be addressed, particularly a return of the Catco work environment and more of Kara in her civilian identity.  We also saw a return of the return of the Alien Immigration storyline, along with Lynda Carter as the US President  (though it was obvious Carter and Benoist scenes were shot with body doubles and CGI... I am guessing scheduling conflict?  Maybe the Carter stuff was shot in L.A.?).  

It was an enjoyable episode, with a great opening sequence of Supergirl saving people all around the world.  I like the hard lesson Kara had to learn about balancing Hope and Optimism against the irrational everyday growing threat of Fear and Hatred.  In someways, the returning alien immigration storyline feels similar to the classic X-Men mutant allegory.  Anyway, I am happy to see the return of this story element and have the show wear it's politics proudly.

As usual, the show does not know what to do with James Olson... it could have used his Guardian trial as a platform to explore what makes one a hero?  Why is Supergirl hailed while Guardian feared?  But no, this plot line was quickly shuffled away aside in favour of exploring Lena's path down the dark side.

Rhona Mitra joined the cast as the villains Mercy Graves, along with Robert Baker playing her brother Otis.  They make a fun pair and I think they could bring some much needed over the top villainy to the show...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWOR6LHFf8[/video]

We were also introduced to the mysterious Agent of Liberty (played by Doomsday lol), this season's Big Bad?  

Alex had some good scenes with Brainy (though why is he always in Human form and not green?  oh wait, tv budget...) and the new pacifist J'onn brought an interesting fresh dynamic to his relationship with Supergirl.

As I said, I found it an enjoyable season premiere and I am excited to see where it goes from here.

In other news, the 3 part crossover, entitled ELSEWORLDS, dropped this very intriguing poster today...

the-flash-is-green-arrow-and-green-arrow-is-the-flash-in-this-new-poster-for-elseworlds-arrowverse-crossover

...and this pic of Superman dropped the day before...
Elseworlds-Arrowverse-Crossover-Superman-Black-Costume.jpg

....hhmmmm.... death of Superman?  Evil Superman?
:D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The granddaddy of the Arrowverse returned on Monday with it's seventh season premiere.

While boasting some truly brutal and amazing fight scenes (director/stuntman James Bamford is incredible what he achieves each week on this show, and the episodes he directs are mind-blowing when it comes to tv fight choreography) this episode felt a bit subdued for a season premiere as it set up the new status quo...
--Ollie in prison trying to keep his head down
--Felicity and William in witness protection
--Dinah now the police force captain and trying to restore the city's faith
--Rene running a gym for troubled kids
--Earth-2 Laurel is now DA 
--Diggle is working for Argus and searching for Diaz
--Curtis is now an Argus Tech guy

...and then, a new mysterious Green Arrow shows up, hunting down arms dealers.

oh, and we have a return to the Island, except the twist is now the show is doing Flash FORWARDS -- 20 years in the future, a grown William is seeking out Roy on the Island.

There is a lot going on in this episode, but Ollie's prison plot is the driving force and Amell gives a fantastic performance.  

The mystery of who the new Green Arrow is?   And how does it all connect to a subplot taking place 20 years in the future?  The producers have stated the flashforwards will be a permanent part of the series... and Amell is contracted for 8 seasons, so you do the math (then again, the CW's Supernatural was originally planned only for five seasons).   Based on the flash forwards, some fans have speculated Time Travel may become part of the show and the new GA is William from the future.  Though if you have time travel, why couldn't it be Diggle's son from 2046?  If not time travel, it could be Roy, though why would he return after the Happy Ending send-off last season?   Could it be Malcolm Merlyn? Off screen death means never truly dead LOL.  Or someone else completely?

On the whole, this episode had a nice return to character focus, some deep emotional beats and reset the board for new stories.  

Next week, the Legends return, and the extended trailer made me howl with laughter...
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRZJgA_IqM[/video]

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Legends of Tomorrow could just abandon any pretense of superheroism and become a slapstick comedy, that would be greeeeaaat

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last I saw of the show they made a giant furbie fight a demon. It looked terrible.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
The last I saw of the show they made a giant furbie fight a demon. It looked terrible.

I thought it was HILARIOUS!!!  It was their riff on the State Puff Marshmallow Man LOL.  I know many friends did not like it, but I howled with laughter.

Yes, season one is very uneven and frustrating.  I don't think even the producers knew what type of show they were crafting.  Many fans, me included, went in expecting an epic serious Justice League-like team show.  But it turned out it was a show about misfits, screw-ups and wannabes.  But even then, the tone of season one was mostly very serious and dark, and that tone just never quite seemed to click with the cast.

But once the show, second season onwards, decided to fully embrace it's zanier, sillier elements, I think the show really came into it's own.  It is a comedy with just the right balance of drama and character salt and peppered through out.  It's not for everyone.   It is DC's Guardian of the Galaxy, for want of a better comparison.

As for the season four premiere the other night, it may have been the best balanced Arrowverse season opener this year.   All the characters got a moment to shine and contribute, the humour and drama worked very well, and the new threat was very entertaining.   The only thing I did not like was the shipping of Ray and Nora Darhk.  Maybe I missed it, but last season I always got a Big Brother/Fatherly vibe from Ray towards Nora because he protected her when she was a little girl (good old time travel).  This feels icky to me lol.

All the Arrowverse shows have gotten off to a strong start, with most entering their second or third week of episodes.  
Supergirl continues to up it's political agenda, and I am happy for it.  Great to see Bruce Boxlienter again!
Arrow's introduction of the Longbow Hunters was great, along with Ollie's prison decent.  
And Flash remains my favourite series.... I love the cast dynamic and it remains the most Comic Booky adaptation ever put to screen imo.

:D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Random thoughts, observations and nitpicks...

--Is there something wrong with Jesse L. Martin?  Three episodes in, and every scene he is sitting, and his performance/speech seems slightly "off".... Hope he is okay.

--another lost story opportunity on Supergirl, the President is an alien turns into nothing more that a plot point.  No explanation or exploration why the character decided it was okay to impersonate a human and run for the highest office in the land.  Again, is it poor writing or actor availability?

--do I like the new Sherloque Wells on Flash?  Seemed a bit too over the top comedic for the show until that last scene with Nora, and then I suddenly felt invested lol.   It also opens the door to the fan theory Nora has a twin, since twins are prominent in Flash lore (Barry is a twin, Barry has twins in the comics and Wally later has twins)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy Comic Book Accurateness Batman!!! That costume looks awesome!

DqeJnlcXgAE2Ifz

Once again putting the multi-million dollar budget movies to shame.  :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elseworlds-monitor.jpg

...again, amazingly accurate comic book costume design.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our best look yet at Batwoman....
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYN-qFm8oMM[/video]
hhhmmmm.... so what Earth will Batwoman be on?  Both Arrow (Earth-1) and Supergirl (Earth-38) have mentioned Gotham City, Arrow has name dropped Bruce Wayne and Supergirl has mentioned her cousin's spooky friend.   Or will it be a completely separate new Earth?

Lots of great pics from the upcoming crossover...
https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-elseworlds-teaser-photos/

Great treat for Smallville fans, as the crossover is using the same Kent Farm from the show!  :D
supe.png

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of costumes... what the hell is this?!

t9f42e10l6ixkc4kgpyj.jpg

The original outfit was much better.

#RestoretheChinStrap

Top Bottom