• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PENNYWISE. TV show to movie of IT

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, i saw the remake of IT recently and it was FUN
And of course, i do something with it when the time is there with the Blu-ray release
However, this is the TV show of 1990 and it was on my list for quite a while but i start with that on Monday after completing the blog edit of Daddy's Dead Little Girl.
Although there were no real ideas for this cut only to make it shorter HUBUNKEY came with the idea to make two chapters of this like i am doing now with Ash vs The Necronomicon
And that was great! 
There are two story's in this edit first "The Losers Club" in which we have the children where it all begin and the second part is "IT Returns" and in that part we are dealing with the adults  
The edit is taken from the Blu-ray and that is in the original 4.3 format
I think for the 16.9 lovers i will do also a blow-up cut so then you can choose what you want
I do this together with the second part of Ash vs The Necronomicon so it will be all done in October i think
Oh yeah, the first part of Ash vs is tomorrow on my blog so if you wanna see the first chapter already knock yourself out

[Nsfw]
16aC9TG.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Damnit, I read the thread as Penny Dreadful.

Cool - i went to the cinema to see the new one last Friday and all i could think about after was the potential for an edit. I even thought that IT 2017 was one for Mr Maniac to take on :)

I thought of a couple of edits that could be achieved. One that is true to the book / original film and one that is well just an edit. I'd prefer a version whereby you don't actually see Pennywise until late on in the movie when the Loser Club enter the house. Keep Pennywise a mystery. What is it that is mysteriously freaking out and killing the kids of Derry.I prefer my horror to be a little more in the mind ...i know people are murdered in these movies and that is enough for me., i don't necessarily need to see the act.

Another edit would be an invert of the idea you mention but we will have to wait for the sequel to be made and released on Bluray for that to be achieved and that would be a mash up of chapter one and two into a film like the original TV version. We could even throw in a VHS filter for prosperity.

The casting of the talented kids was a real plus in the new film - it was like a horror Stand By Me

Fantastic! About time this series got an edit!

May I ask you cut down on the silly adult stuff? I always used to watch the first half, but got so bored by the second I could never make it through.

What cuts will you be making?

Like it's already told i make two chapters 1: The Losers club and 2:  It Returns
All the footage of the children will be edit together in the first one and of course, there will be cuts in some dialogue and unimportant stuff
Some overdubbed music will be done from the remake of IT
The second is the adult footage so i think you keep it by the first one

Yesterday i started with this edit of IT
The first plan was to go further with the Mr. Mercedes workprint but the last 2 episodes have not enough material i can use 
I wait for the last 3 to go further with this second and final workprint
Well, back to the clown, it's been years ago since i saw this 1990 version and the Blu-ray was still sealed on the self
I saw this Friday on my projection screen to give myself an impression how the edit must be
With an extremely rough cut, i put all the children footage together and that was approx. 65 minutes i could use for this project
After that, i saw very fast how to clean it up to almost 59 minutes
Because i saw the remake a few days ago i wanna do something with the music of the remake in the opening of this edit
So I'm gonna use here and there some music and sound effects (audio cuts) of the remake and also some audio effects of Disasterpeace
And i am pretty sure it will work because when i saw this Friday it wasn't scary enough for me
Back in 1990 it was new and it has something but now .... i don't know, it was still fun to watch but i can't explain it
So i TRY to pump it up with some music
Overall i make something of IT
The REMAKE.... That is more in my alley but i have to wait and patience is not my strongest point.... :mad:
Update is coming up when this "Child chapter" is ready

I worked three days straight on this first chapter, (well, with some breaks of course) mostly i don't edit in weekends but my girlfriend was in Spain last weekend with a group of other girlfriends so i had more time to spend on this cut.
The exact running time is gonna be 55 minutes
I used one scene as a flashback what you see in the adult footage when Stan as a boy saw Pennywise as a mummy walking down the stairs in some old house
Overdubs of the remake like i said of Benjamin Fallwisch and some audio segments of Disasterpeace
Well, i think it's done...
There's simply nothing more i can do about it
Like i said earlier this is in the original 4.3 format and i think it's better that it stays this way
This first one is done so up to the adult chapter

The second chapter or workprint of this edit runs 75 minutes
All the flashbacks to the childhood is cut in this one and that was a hell of a job to pull this off 
Some scenes are re-cut and in a different order edit, because of the constantly "go back" to what we already saw in the first chapter
Also in this cut music overdubs of the remake from Wallfisch to make it more suspenseful and i used one track of Disasterpeace by the suicide of Stan
I clean this up today and next week on Friday the two chapters will be on the blog and i will deliver also on the IFDB
Although it was fun to work on this, it's not really my taste of horror
I must say some bizarre storyline in the original: Friends for life, they all love each other and blah blah blah but they spoke a word to each other for 30 years until the clown is showing up
And also that ending with that giant spider is damn weak, but i couldn't change a thing about that
BUT, i hope the IT fans like what i did with it and i wait now for the remake........
Monday further with the last chapter of Ash vs The Necronomicon and that is more my taste..... :p

Thanks for doing this edit Maniac. As a fan of the original mini-series I have to say that this was an edit that was a looong time coming and I am just glad that someone as talented as you decided to tackle IT

Edit released. ifdb article up. Thread moved.

nfIN4lk.gif

@"maniac" I'm commenting here because this is the right place to discuss this edit and not somebody else's thread.

Your reply to a review of your IT edit by @"Conrad MacIntyre" is not acceptable:

Conrad MacIntyre said:
PART ONE: THE LOSERS CLUB

As a rather large and longtime fan of the original miniseries, I know it front-to-back... and that may be working against me here. What stood out to me most was the massive amount of content removed. As list will follow, but first, the opening with Georgie entering the basement for the wax is brilliant. "Derry 1960". Loved it. so much. But it goes downhill for me after that:

- Ben's first encounter with IT is cut short. IT never grabs at him, and this his entire experience to that point is a simple hallucination.
- Ben's conversation with Beverly outside the school is cut, but this is where he learns who she is, and establishes lines of communication between them. This cut makes the scene later by her house seem very bold of Ben.
- Ben's repetition of "Beverly Marsh" over and over is removed, but this shows his infatuation with her. It seems childish, but he is only supposed to be 11 or 12.
- Ben writing "January Embers" and his homelife is removed, but this scene establishes why he goes to the Barrens alone, as well as showing that he is the author of the poem he leaves on Beverly's doorstep.
- The building of the dam is gone! This shows the bonding of the group.
- Eddie's hypochondriac mother is not shown at all. This scene helps us to understand why Eddie is the way he is, and without it we don't understand why Eddie doesn't shower with the other boys.
- Cut Bill's "Magic Stones" story from Richie's flashback. This sets up Bill as a writer and shows some insight into the personalities of the other "Losers" via when-I-grow-up aspirations.
- Richie coming back up after the werewolf incident and telling everyone what he saw is important because it establishes that Stan is now the last one who has not yet run into IT. And everyone else begins to recognize that they have all experienced something.
- Inter-cutting Stan's Mummy Encounter totally re-shapes the timeline of events, but it works alright, the transition feels a little weird, though.
- Cutting Bill's "Help Me" monologue is a tragedy. A real American tragedy. It shows him as the rallying point for the group.
- The font for the credits is not what I would have expected. It's not ironically goofy, or modern sans-serif, or old-timey serif.
- The text alignment seemed to change for one set of credits. Everything is entered except one credit plate that is left-aligned.
- The handprint balloon and Pennywise doll struck me as weird. Not because they don't fit thematically, but because I've personally never seen any other credit sequences that do this.

PART TWO: IT RETURNS

For the purposes of this half of the review, I am assuming that IT is simply a magical clown, as much of the mythos is removed from this story. I will also not hold this half of the edit accountable for any content in the source miniseries; Only the content present within the edit itself.

- Does Ben arrive in Derry the same night as he receives the phone call? Because after we see Ben arriving, we see Stan go have a bath and Mike's visit from Pennywise at his house. Then Bill arriving in the morning.
- Ben, Bev, Richie, and Mike have each had run-ins with IT in the last 24 hours, but none of them mentions it, even in passing while at the restaurant? I mean, Richie had blood all over his face.
- It's not really clear why Eddie, Bev, and Bill are so amused that Richie has called Stan "a dead man" if he hasn't left (for Derry) already.
- When did Richie pick up the phone that he threw down after Mike informed them that Stan was, in fact, a dead man?
- What does Stan mean by "in the deadlights"? In this edit, the only definition we get is from Pennywise near the end when it says it will make them lose their minds. Doesn't really seem like a destination. This is confusing.
- The flashback that occurs when Mike says the murders started up again "earlier this year" seems to imply that the little girl from the beginning of part 2 -- which was just the previous day -- is the first murder, but in the opening monologue he says, "another murder today".
- When they go upstairs in the hotel, why are they all entering their rooms in sync, and looking at each other. Seems weird, no?
- How long were they sitting in the downstairs fireside room that Henry was able to esacpe Juniper Hills, get to the hotel, and hide in one of the rooms?

In all? It was alright. Not terrible, not amazing. It doesn't really create a *new* narrative, nor does it seem to attempt to re-present the original material in the best possible light. If this for you? If you really want the kids and the adults completely separated and a heavily truncated runtime, then this may fit the bill for you.

Lastly, and some may not care about this, the opening and closing titles really make this *look* like a fan edit. If I showed this to someone who had never seen the original, they would certainly be aware they weren't watching a studio release.

maniac said:
I saw that review of my IT edit but you are really taking this way to seriously isn't it?
First of all, i create my own storyline in this so no comparison at all to the original
Some things of that review:
Ben and Beverly are not introduced to each other  
In the class scene they laugh at each other so for me that is enough 
The boy is a newcomer in the class so i think they got to know each other at some point what you see with the other kids 
So not important, also not important is that letter 
Who gives a fuck what he wrote on that letter he likes the girl that 's it 
Strange thing in the original is that he knows where she lives i can't remember one scene that he got that information but, whatever
That Beverly marsh repetition is cut, for me that was irritating so i cut it like i cut all that childish bullshit
Ben is walking alone in the barrens... SO?????
Those scenes are not jumpy, it is just another day and he walks alone there that's it
Then he sees his father which is the killer clown of course and i cut that skeleton scene because in the other scenes he only shows himself to the other children but he doesn't attack them
So i cut that also in the scene with fat Ben
And i don't care which of the children saw him last because when they are as a group together they talk about him and what they saw
Also in my storyline it is not important who saw him last
Building the dam is cut  ohhhhhh jesus, what I've done now?
That shows the bonding of the group yeah right, very important, but not for me
I made a cut of a bunch of children who has to deal with a killer clown that's it!
The fact is that the original story is way too long with all that nonsense
Bill's help me is cut and that is an American tragedy
:huh:
Well, the fact that they are do something about that clown was for me enough so also that melodramatic shit is cut 
You didn't like my balloon font, well i liked it, you see a lot of balloons in this story so i used it
The hand on the bloody balloon well, take a guess why i used it.....
It's a killer clown right, it's a child killer, that was my expression with that balloon
You don't like my cut, well, that can happen.....
I saw the opening of your cut, there are certainly some things i wouldn't use, attack on the girl with that fast forward, music that fades away to soon, that cropped footage, well be careful with it that you put everything in the right center...   
But that is personal taste like it is yours with your review of my edit
I read that you trimmed a lot the giant spider at the end, well, trimmed or not the ending sucks anyway
Like i said ones, when it came out in 1990 it had something but when i saw it back on Blu-ray it was fun to watch it again but not for the next time i guess....
But this is my cut although it's not really my horror it is now what it is
Good luck with your edit and i am pretty sure you don't like the adult footage of chapter 2
So you've been warned already.... :D

We take a dim view of rants attacking reviewers on ifdb, especially when they have taken a lot of time to detail exactly why they had problems with an edit. When people see this happening it can put off people from writing honest reviews in future, or writing reviews at all.

Avoid using sarcastic phrases and punctuation like "Who gives a fuck", "SO?????", "take a guess" and "ohhhhhh jesus" if you don't want to sound like you are trying to attack the reviewer. Also avoid attacking their edit of the same film in response because it sounds childish and petty.

How about apologising and instead thanking @"Conrad MacIntyre" for watching your edit and for spending a chunk of his time giving you feedback. Try re-reading the review and using it to improve your future edits. For example, he said...

the opening and closing titles really make this *look* like a fan edit. If I showed this to someone who had never seen the original, they would certainly be aware they weren't watching a studio release.

...so you could take that as a cue to put more care into your titles in future.

Additional note: You could help manage people's expectations of what to expect from your edits by writing more than a single sentence on your ifdb article to describe how your version is edited...

"I separate the children and the adult's footage in these two chapters"

Well, i think i was clear enough in how i made this edit right?
This project was on request
It was for years on my idea's list but when i saw the Blu-ray version from the moment it was in my mailbox i had no intention at all to do something with it
I waited for the remake and when i saw that it was much better so i decided to let the original for what it is 
Until HUBUNKEY came with the idea to separate the children and the adult footage what is mentioned many times in this thread
So i kept that short on the IFDB
But the idea of HUBUNKEY was great so i watch the Blu-ray again to give me some idea's to make it different
Like i said: it was fun to watch it after so many years and i promised him to do something with it but this was absolutely not on my turf
So i created my own storyline in this 
Macintyre had a problem with that when he watched my edit 
This is not right, and that is not good
That can happen, but it is what i wanted to do with it
No childish bullshit, more to the point and in the adult chapter i edit some things back and fort 
That could be confusing but there are so many laughable things in the original i could make a list of what is not right
The Titles: I don't know what the hell is wrong with those titles 
I used a balloon font with some things in it and that's it
Mostly i use the Albertus font (the so-called John Carpenter font) but it was not in place in this edit
" It looks like a fan edit"  It IS a fan edit
If you see a review of this of someone who dislikes this because he created his own vision of the same movie well, i can understand that but lines as "An American Tragedy" is for me a little overreacting 
And that was the point that i lost my temper 
It was wrong to put this in his thread but i don't feel the need to discuss this any further 
I wished him good luck with his own edit and hopefully the IT fans have more pleasure with his cut.

The reason *why* you made something is generally irrelevant.  If you release it to the public, everyone has the right to their own opinions and interpretations of what you've made, regardless of your intent.  If they didn't understand your intent, you probably have just failed to explain it properly.

Next time, if you make it for one person, don't put it in here or on IFDb, just do it privately.  Either that or accept the fact that not everyone will see it the same way as you and HUBUNKEY.

maniac said:
but lines as "An American Tragedy" is for me a little overreacting 

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Can you provide a video of your opening titles? I have no idea of the "quality" of your edits, because honestly you don't really share with us. Taking a more collaborative approach might iron out some of the kinks in your edits. After all, that's why I believe most people are part of this community. Not to dump off an edit or edits, but to actively seek, test, and implement ideas. I think your process could be enhanced by allowing yourself to access the wealth of ideas of the community.

I have no kinks in my edits but i wil send you a link of the opening and closing of this edit monday

maniac said:
I have no kinks in my edits but i wil send you a link of the opening and closing of this edit monday

This is pretty brassy to say. I know that my edits are not perfect and I would hope that I always realize that.

I respect your opinion, but I also respect the opinion of others. Please post a YouTube, Vimeo or other embedded video for others to use their own judgement. In short, show us.

Your move
dbr_clockanimation_dribbble.gif

I am at my work man.
I got better things to do.    
I will put a vimeo link here when i get home Monday      
If you don't trust it i send you tonight the link of the blog or else wait for it

maniac, we've put up with your attitude for a long time and we're growing quite sick of it.  If you want to stay here as a member, I suggest you lose the attitude.  Now.

FWIW “An American tragedy” is a reference to what Ben says in Part 1 of the miniseries when he drops his architect award and it breaks. I just assumed you would get the joke after finishing the edit so recently. I apologize for the misunderstanding. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom